Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

I wonder how much stuff would fall under that description.

I've wondered before if heading a ball that's on the floor would be allowed.

Or if, to waste time, the keeper could lob the ball to his defender who would immediately head it back to the keeper who could catch it again and waste another few seconds.

I wonder how much stuff would fall under that description.

I've wondered before if heading a ball that's on the floor would be allowed.

Based on the wording above, that would definitely be an 'attempt to circumvent the spirit of the rule' and would therefore be an indirect free kick.

Or if, to waste time, the keeper could lob the ball to his defender who would immediately head it back to the keeper who could catch it again and waste another few seconds.
That's a more interesting one because it's not the player 'tricking' it onto his own head, it's another player, so it wouldn't fall under that rule. I think you've just given Liverpool a new way of doing the very thing that they caused the introduction of the new rule for in the first place :)

I never really enjoyed 11 a side football because of this kind of thing.

I was never a goalkeeper, but I didn't particularly thrive on the pressure that came from playing in such games.

Now I play in a six a side league and find it far more enjoyable.

*starts to suspect BOF might be a ref* :detect:
Haha, nope but I'm fairly sure I'd make a good one. I just wouldn't want the hassle. I do look well in black though ...

My only booking in football came from kicking the ball after the ref had blown .. when they started that clampdown a few years back

I was clean through on goal one on one with the keeper and hadn't heard any whistle .... my explanation that the goalkeeper had dived at my feet and tried to save the ball meant he had also played on after the whistle and thus should have been booked as well or that in fact neither of us had heard the whistle was met with a "one more word from you and I'll make it a red card "

numpty ref , ruined my perfect record and the chance of a knighthood like Gary Lineaker

Reffing is really difficult.

You take it for granted. but a couple of seasons ago our ref didn't turn up and as I was running the team, I volunteered to stand in.

It's horrible. Sounds obvious but you have to be so switched on 100% of the time. Your mind can't wander for a second.

I found the pressure horrendous to be honest. The only thing I did well was not take any shit from players which I think helped me. But on the inside I spent 90 minutes shitting myself.

There are some terrible excuses for refs on a sunday morning, i think some must have days off from a mental home on a sunday and decide to ref a game.

I saw one ref book a player because he kicked the ball out of play because a player was down injured, the ref said it was for kicking the ball away. Yet the ball was in play anyway and the team who did it was losing.

This same ref, sent some one off for their first touch which was a handball, possibly the right call if you were been harsh as it was in the box, but he then booked one of the opposing team who said 'There's no need to send him off it was only an accident'.

You take it for granted. but a couple of seasons ago our ref didn't turn up and as I was running the team, I volunteered to stand in.

It's horrible. Sounds obvious but you have to be so switched on 100% of the time. Your mind can't wander for a second.

I found the pressure horrendous to be honest. The only thing I did well was not take any shit from players which I think helped me. But on the inside I spent 90 minutes shitting myself.

Being a bit crap in my former years, I'd spent more than a reasonable amount of time on the bench, and hence running the line.

That was a horrendous job, and I can only imagine reffing to be 100x worse.

Oh I have more.

6 aside ref on a monday night is even worse.

Last week we were playing (we're shit) and the other team were making subs from all over the pitch. As in, I'd be marking one of their defenders. he'd run off at that end to be subbed, and a striker would come on the other end of the pitch as his replacement.

Conversation at half time went something like this

Me: Ref, is there any rule for where the other team have to make subs from?

Ref: Does it matter?

Me: well it doesn't seem very fair if I'm marking someone up there, and he gets subbed for someone down there.

Ref: it's roll on roll off

Me: that doesn't really answer my-

Ref: Look, stop arguing with me or I'll book you

Me: ok. I wasn't arguing I'm just asking. Forget it

*I try to walk off*

Ref: don't just walk away

Me: *turning back* ok.

Ref: if you carry on arguing I'll book you.

Me: I'm not arguing.

*I try to walk away again*

Ref: come back! If you keep talking back to me then I'll book you.

Me: :|

Another player: Ben, just leave it

Me: I'm TRYING to leave it but he won't let me walk away!

Ginger bastard

Being a bit crap in my former years, I'd spent more than a reasonable amount of time on the bench, and hence running the line.

That was a horrendous job, and I can only imagine reffing to be 100x worse.

Playing for the Villa mailing list team at EuroNet 96 I was asked to run the line in one of the games when we weren't playing.

I refused. I felt bad about it, but my knowledge of the rules, competence and general temperament were absolutely not up to it, even at that level.

And the QPR bastards played a team of ringers, but that's another story...

That sounds like a classic case of power tripping.

Resenting those who are good enough to enjoy the sport because you're a fat old man who can't get into a team.

:? :huh:

:lol:

Just my experience of referees.

I know 2 who grew up in the same year as me at school. Both loved football, but neither were good enough to play it. However, when they were given the chance to referee, they typically used it as an excuse to get revenge on those who were good enough to play it. It was like their hour of fame, where (for a short period) they were more powerful than those who they almost idolised.

I've heard refs say it's the best way to be actively involved and contributing to a game you love if you're not good enough to actually play it. You'd really want to love the game, or be one of those authoritarian types (Godwin duly dodged) to do it though in my view.

I imagine if you got practise at it and made sure you knw the rules it could be fun. But you'd have to be the authoritative type so you can have control of the game.

But for the casual participant, it's not enjoyable, imo.

Â