Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’d sell the house and move to somewhere with established rules. The development looks like a disaster waiting to happen. Like those brits abroad programmes where their house gets repossessed or knocked down because they are missing a bit of paper or insurance they didn’t know about.

Nah, the house and our land itself is absolutely fine. Building on private land/with a private dev is the done thing over here. Huge estates with the same over copied and pasted is rare.

Fwiw there are plenty of housing developments all around the UK that have un adopted roads, some of them decades old.

I know nothing of Polish planning or building law, it’s perfectly possible to buy a house in the U.K. where the road outside hasn’t been sorted out. I think it would be really unwise, but it’s perfectly possible. Worst case, if the road isn’t approved and isn’t adopted, you can’t possibly know that the drainage and flood protection is up to minimum spec.. In fact, if it’s not being adopted, that’s a fairly clear sign it probably isn’t complaint. (Again, that’s a UK point, no idea about Poland)

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

Fwiw there are plenty of housing developments all around the UK that have un adopted roads, some of them decades old.

I know nothing of Polish planning or building law, it’s perfectly possible to buy a house in the U.K. where the road outside hasn’t been sorted out. I think it would be really unwise, but it’s perfectly possible. Worst case, if the road isn’t approved and isn’t adopted, you can’t possibly know that the drainage and flood protection is up to minimum spec.. In fact, if it’s not being adopted, that’s a fairly clear sign it probably isn’t complaint. (Again, that’s a UK point, no idea about Poland)

The estate I live on has unadopted roads, but there are still roads, with drains, lights, signs and an obligation that the builder maintains them until they are adopted by the council. The builder still has to maintain British standards (or EU ones?) and if they aren’t compliant the council won’t adopt them when the estate is finished.

In Stafan’s case it seems like they could potentially have a mud track to their house forever which sounds like a disaster. 

I have a mate who lives at the end of a single lane track with a few other dwellings about half way up. There's a proper right angle 90degree corner at the bottome of the hill.

Anyway the council had filled in potholes but not around the corner and when he enquired as to why, he was told it wasn't their road. So he asked them if he could put a gate up at the corner and they came and filled them in the next day :D

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Genie said:

Reality is you probably won’t. You should work on the basis that you’re not a drinker anymore. Millions of others have managed it. 

You’re correct . As they say one day at a time don’t look too far in front because you’re destined to fail. Sometimes I have to rewind to moments in the past to see where it’s took me, although I have a very short memory regarding that so I prefer to look forward and say to myself right how are you going to feel when your head it’s that pillow at your mums because you’ve been kicked out, or how am I going to feel in the morning etc . That helps a lot , but sometimes I have a word with myself and say there’s people lay in hospital beds riddled with cancer or somebody has buried their kid today and all I’m bothered about is finding the next opportunity to drink. People way worse than me thriving from being sober. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

There been a big delay on a site in Stratford because of arguments over a road that comes off the site onto a main road. Not sure of the ins and outs mind. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

The estate I live on has unadopted roads, but there are still roads, with drains, lights, signs and an obligation that the builder maintains them until they are adopted by the council. The builder still has to maintain British standards (or EU ones?) and if they aren’t compliant the council won’t adopt them when the estate is finished.

In Stafan’s case it seems like they could potentially have a mud track to their house forever which sounds like a disaster. 

I think we’ve both said the same thing?

You can drive around any town in the U.K. and find unadapted roads. Some, because they are still working on the development of a new estate. Some, because they never got sign off all those years ago and they will be forever pot holed rubbishy patched up roads that end with a line of sleepers noting where the adopted highway starts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

There been a big delay on a site in Stratford because of arguments over a road that comes off the site onto a main road. Not sure if the ins and outs mind. 

Sometimes it’s something truly significant such as missing flood prevention measures. Sometimes the council just want some money.

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

Sometimes it’s something truly significant such as missing flood prevention measures. Sometimes the council just want some money.

Yep, if something isn’t in the writing or something hasn’t followed the writing anything that takes up land there will be a dispute. Some of the standard of work now is shocking, roofers included, but there’s a lot of rogue bricklayers about now. 

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I think we’ve both said the same thing?

You can drive around any town in the U.K. and find unadapted roads. Some, because they are still working on the development of a new estate. Some, because they never got sign off all those years ago and they will be forever pot holed rubbishy patched up roads that end with a line of sleepers noting where the adopted highway starts.

I think so.

Unadopted roads here are still roads.

Unadopted roads in Poland are a real problem. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

One more thing, the guy with 4 plots of land wants to pay once 3200 and not x4 and if he can’t, he won’t pay at all. 

I can’t believe the land owner didn’t budget for the roads when selling the plots. Surely it would have made the development more attractive (and valuable).

33 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Reminds me of the road around the corner from me, it's private, the council want nothing to do with it, and it's just a small access road down to 20-30 houses. It developed an absolute massive pothole, about a 2 foot  wide, and literally a foot deep, the tarmac gave way and it was just a big empty hole underneath.

It stayed like that for a few weeks until locals started filling it with bricks, mud and other assorted detritus, started driving over it to flatten it down, and it's stayed like it ever since. It's perfectly safe, probably. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The land owner has a huge bill for it but he’ll just add the cost to the houses when he sells them so it doesn’t affect him at all. 

It’s like when people complain about a massive tax bill… they therefore had massive income/profit.

He’s sold the land without actual roads and is now playing the victim. He should be stumping up to pay for all the roads imo.

4 hours ago, Genie said:

@StefanAVFC

As Stevo mentioned, I can’t believe the local council approved the development without roads being part of the plan. What about the drainage from the roads? The lighting? The signage? There’s lots more to it than a truck of tarmac.

The stuff of nightmares. 

Forrin countries are mental. This is why we needed Brexit 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

This is why you don't buy houses in third world countries. :lol:

Yes but I have a 4 bedroom house with a nice sized garden with a mortgage of around 80 grand whilst earning uk money so 😙

• Like 1

Â