Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

The one that gets me - and you even gets TV chefs saying it - is "restauranteur".

It's restaurateur. There is no "n" in it.

Oh, and ironically enough, "pronounciation". It's pronunciation.

The one that gets me and I'm fully aware it shouldn't because it's probably pronounced incorrectly far more often than it's pronounced correctly is the word genealogy. Even on genealogy programmes the narrator can be heard saying geneology.

Big. ****. Deal. :P

Genuine question:

Do mispronunciations genuinely piss anyone off? They crop up a lot in this thread, and it's not a 'gripe' that I can really empathise with. Everyone has a different way of speaking at the end of the day.

they dont usually but Cazorla is really annoying as its pronounced mainly as its spelt and not with be mixing the letters in his name

Cathorla?

its better than **** Carzola  :bang:

The one that gets me and I'm fully aware it shouldn't because it's probably pronounced incorrectly far more often than it's pronounced correctly is the word genealogy. Even on genealogy programmes the narrator can be heard saying geneology.

Big. ****. Deal. :P

:P

'Customer service'.

It shouldn't because I shouldn't be so foolish as to believe that the phrase is at all accurate.

"Can I ask why you're leaving BT, sir?"

"Well mainly it's because I can get the service cheaper elsewhere and, though I should realize that the other company's customer service is probably just as bad as your's, I haven't yet had to spend up to an hour on the 'phone to, variously, somewhere in Scotland, Manilla and now Birmingham being told different things by different people and having to explain the situation to each person (the handover clearly indicating that the previous person wasn't listening to a word I was saying); haven't had my DD details wiped from my account without me asking (only asking about what would happen IF I did that in order to wait for a settlement bill) and thus put in the position of incurring 'processing payment fees' if I hadn't contacted you to give you those details that were wiped without a trace (the third time in a three year contract you've tried to do this), and haven't been told that I may have to wait for up to eight weeks after leaving your company to receive any monies due back to me because of overpayment (I wonder whether you ought to be paying me £7.50 for 'late payment'?) with the expectation that it will take longer (like other examples on my account, my brother's account and my mother's account where credits and repayments were promised and only forthcoming after offensive(s) that would make the manoeuvre of Haig's drinks cabinet nearer Berlin look swift)."

'Customer service'.

It shouldn't because I shouldn't be so foolish as to believe that the phrase is at all accurate.

"No you may not."

'Customer service'.

"No you may not."

Noooo, play the pedant card:

"Yes, of course you can"

"Well... why ARE you lea..."

"Let me stop you there. I said you CAN ask. I didn't say you MAY".

Charities.

There, I said it. It really shouldn't piss me off, but sometimes they do.

Every day I have at least 1 flipping bag put through my door for any spare clothes. I don't know how much clothes they think I have, but I'm swamped by these things. How much material are they wasting by producing all these thousands of bags? I leave them outside in the hope that they'll pick it up and recycle them, but they very very rarely do.

I also have at least 1 guy per week knocking on the door asking for donations. That in itself doesn't annoy me, but there are 2 specific things that do.
1. the persistent ones. Most say thank you and move on when I say I'm not interested, some just keep trying to convince me
2. The ones that have an opening joke or bit that they do to try and grab me. Stop it, just tell me what you want! I've had more than one say "We're doing a parachute jump at Birmingham airport right now to rais emoney, do you want to come and do it?.......Just kidding, all we're after is £5 a month"

"Yes, of course you can"

Tempting. But when it comes to telecomms companies, the desire to get off the phone as quickly as possible is too strong to ignore. In fact, after thinking about it, I'd even drop the last 3 words in my original response.

'Customer service'.

"No you may not."

"Yes, of course you can"

I thought Brian was playing that card (just subtly). :)

I normally just hang up on tele sales people without saying more than Hello.

One actually rang me straight back the other day and said "what happened there?"

I just replied "I hung up" and hung up again.

I normally just hang up on tele sales people without saying more than Hello.

One actually rang me straight back the other day and said "what happened there?"

I just replied "I hung up" and hung up again.

:lol: Brilliant.

Charities.

There, I said it. It really shouldn't piss me off, but sometimes they do.

Every day I have at least 1 flipping bag put through my door for any spare clothes. I don't know how much clothes they think I have, but I'm swamped by these things. How much material are they wasting by producing all these thousands of bags? I leave them outside in the hope that they'll pick it up and recycle them, but they very very rarely do.

I also have at least 1 guy per week knocking on the door asking for donations. That in itself doesn't annoy me, but there are 2 specific things that do.

1. the persistent ones. Most say thank you and move on when I say I'm not interested, some just keep trying to convince me

2. The ones that have an opening joke or bit that they do to try and grab me. Stop it, just tell me what you want! I've had more than one say "We're doing a parachute jump at Birmingham airport right now to rais emoney, do you want to come and do it?.......Just kidding, all we're after is £5 a month"

I think my record is three of those bags within half an hour - two for the same charity (delivered by different people).

Â