Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

9 hours ago, blandy said:

You can be. I bought an outside light from B&Qitall using Apple Pay on my portable telephone. Took it back for a refund as it failed after a couple of days or so and no problem.

Not at Asda - in the café where they tried to fob me off with coins which I didn’t want and again at the customer service desk. I’ve been told to go back in with my card to claim the refund. It’s ‘only’ £1.75 but it’s the principle of it! Perfect for this thread really.

7 hours ago, choffer said:

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners; contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannise their teachers. 

Socrates C.490BC

Old 'Soco' must have had fussy eater children. 

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

But this has always happened since the day dot.

It was exactly the same, if not worse, in generations past. you were just young so you didn't notice. 

I really wasn't though. I remember alot from when I was young. It was nothing like it was compared to now, which is the point I'm making. A few posters have said as much in the posts before this.

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

You're allowed to have an opinion on anything you want.

But you also need to be prepared to have your opinion challenged if someone disagrees with it.

You can't just pretend you're not allowed an opinion if someone shows you that you might be wrong

I know im allowed, I accept it. I'm equally just as happy for any debate, no problem either. Any points I raise I am happy to be challenged on, and people don't just need to agree.

I don't think anyone is pretending they cannot have an opinion but I appreciate the valid points you have raised in your posts all the same.

10 hours ago, bobzy said:

This just isn't true.  It's the kind of thing an avid Daily Mail reader will get very enraged about, but the birth rate in the UK is declining and has been for decades.  There's zero evidence that more people are looking to have children purely for financial gain (and it's a stupid idea if that was the case as well!).

It's been pointed out since I last posted that people DO in fact get pregnant just for the extra gain it brings.. whether that's more DSS, entitlement to get a council house quicker, etc. But if you don't want to believe that then that's your choosing.

Believe what suits I suppose.

9 hours ago, bobzy said:

Didn't label you a Daily Mail reader at all.  I said "it's the kind of thing an avid Daily Mail reader..." - if you want to attach yourself to that and take offence then fair enough :D 

The teenage conception rate has, again, declined consistently over the last few decades.  @Stevo985 has already posted a link so I won't bother doing any more, but you can easily Google that sort of thing and find it out.

Happy to look up more stats for you if you don't want to just do it yourself.  Just let me know.

Fair enough if you didn't. More of an insinuation then perhaps?

Steveo may have posted a link to a website, but I don't think you can just take the findings of one website and that's that.  It's like trying to say Football insider website is the only sauce of football transfers.

I'm merely commenting on what I have known and read, whether those stats have now since changed and improved is good, not like it's never existed though.

If you're happy to look up stats you feel your boots pal. As long as they're not just filtered to your suiting then carry on.

9 hours ago, bickster said:

Not true and never has been, Currently 6th behind France, Norway, Denmark, Ireland and there's also a case for 7th if you include the Faroe Islands

Teenage pregnancies have been on the decline in the UK consistently since 1998

According to this website here we did Bicks. Okay, it was from a few years back, but I knew we once did. I recall Blacon, Cheshire and Corby, Northants were flying the flag high for the UK at one stage.

However, I have since read we have managed to get that stat down as the latter of your post also states.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

According to this website here we did Bicks. Okay, it was from a few years back, but I knew we once did. I recall Blacon, Cheshire and Corby, Northants were flying the flag high for the UK at one stage.

One of the grimmest places I have ever been. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

It's not the best of places in the UK, too true. An industrial shithole.

The land that Thatcher forgot (or didn’t give a shit about to be more accurate)

It is strangely full of Scottish people

1 minute ago, bickster said:

The land that Thatcher forgot (or didn’t give a shit about to be more accurate)

It is strangely full of Scottish people

Yep. There and Liverpool IIRC?

But the Corby part, Settlement from the Scottish who came south to find work which was the steelworks at that time in the 60's and 70's until Thatcher closed it all.

When the steelworks closed, the Scottish folk still remained. It gathered the name 'Mini Scotland.'

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

According to this website here we did Bicks. Okay, it was from a few years back, but I knew we once did. I recall Blacon

2nd only to the Lache Estate in Chester for deprivation 

15 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Yep. There and Liverpool IIRC?

But the Corby part, Settlement from the Scottish who came south to find work which was the steelworks at that time in the 60's and 70's until Thatcher closed it all.

When the steelworks closed, the Scottish folk still remained. It gathered the name 'Mini Scotland.'

Nah, the Liverpool / Thatcher thing is utter bollocks peddled by the local Labour Party to this day. “Managed Decline” was a phrase that Geoffrey Howe proposed as solution for the Liverpool problem. Liverpool was a shithole, mass unemployment, loony left council and a huge amount of urban decay. It needed a lot of work but Thatcher didn’t agree with Howe, she decided to actually invest in the city. She appointed Hestletine as “Minister for Merseyside”, it was awarded the inaugural Garden Festival, they renovated the Albert Dock, they built Wavertree technology Park, the latter two of which are still a huge part of the Liverpool success story to this day.

I hate her with a passion, she was an evil cow but Liverpool (won’t agree with this) owe Thatcher for its renaissance. The evidence is there to this day.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 2

6 minutes ago, Sid4ever said:

2nd only to the Lache Estate in Chester for deprivation 

You've clearly never been to Merthyr Tydfil. It had(s) two of the most deprived Estates in the whole of Europe. The Gurnos and the Swansea Rd estates. Absolute shitholes in the 80s and still are to this day. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, bickster said:

Nah, the Liverpool / Thatcher thing is utter bollocks peddled by the local Labour Party to this day. “Managed Decline” was a phrase that Geoffrey Howe proposed as solution for the Liverpool problem. Liverpool was a shithole, mass unemployment, loony left council and a huge amount of urban decay. It needed a lot of work but Thatcher didn’t agree with Howe, she decided to actually invest in the city. She appointed Hestletine as “Minister for Merseyside”, it was awarded the inaugural Garden Festival, they renovated the Albert Dock, they built Wavertree technology Park, the latter two of which are still a huge part of the Liverpool success story to this day.

I hate her with a passion, she was an evil cow but Liverpool (won’t agree with this) owe Thatcher for its renaissance. The evidence is there to this day.

Ah okay. I didn't realise that on the first part and Liverpool etc.

As for the second part, i can't think of many that were fond of her (Except Ronald Regan), but yes, she was an absolute horrible bastard for sure and caused so much unforgivable shit. 

18 minutes ago, bickster said:

You've clearly never been to Merthyr Tydfil. It had(s) two of the most deprived Estates in the whole of Europe. The Gurnos and the Swansea Rd estates. Absolute shitholes in the 80s and still are to this day. 

There's definitely scope for a thread on sh*thole estates of the UK.

• Like 1

Bonfire night not being on 5th November.  Also there's no bloody bonfires any more, just 'fireworks extravaganzas'. 

Remember, Remember, the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th November.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bickster said:

I can't think of a more hated figure in South Yorkshire, than Thatcher. I've never seen anyone's death celebrated so much.

9 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

It's been pointed out since I last posted that people DO in fact get pregnant just for the extra gain it brings.. whether that's more DSS, entitlement to get a council house quicker, etc. But if you don't want to believe that then that's your choosing.

Believe what suits I suppose.

Fair enough if you didn't. More of an insinuation then perhaps?

Steveo may have posted a link to a website, but I don't think you can just take the findings of one website and that's that.  It's like trying to say Football insider website is the only sauce of football transfers.

I'm merely commenting on what I have known and read, whether those stats have now since changed and improved is good, not like it's never existed though.

If you're happy to look up stats you feel your boots pal. As long as they're not just filtered to your suiting then carry on.

Not a case of “believe what suits”. I’ve never denied that people may have babies to get more benefits (it’s a stupid idea but, hey, some people are stupid).

Your initial post implied that children are more entitled/narcissistic etc (can’t remember exact words) because of they way they are brought up “these days” and who they are brought up by.  When asked what that meant, you’ve said about this whole babies for benefits thing.  All I’m saying is that the birth rates and teenage conception rates in the UK are declining and have been for decades.  So it seems highly unlikely that any change in children behaviour has been out of a specific type of upbringing that statistics would suggest is moving in the completely opposite direction.  It doesn’t make sense.

And OK, one source isn’t good enough for you and you don’t want to Google. 

“The conception rate for women aged under 18 years in England and Wales has more than halved since 2011 when it was 30.9 conceptions per 1,000 women of the same age; in 2021 it was 13.2 per 1,000 women of the same age.”
(Link: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/conceptionandfertilityrates/bulletins/conceptionstatistics/2021#:~:text=The conception rate for women,women of the same age.)

“The number of abortions also saw a rapid reduction, going from 21,494 in 2007 to 6,999 in 2021 (a 67% decrease).”
(Link: https://www.nuffieldtrust.org.uk/resource/teenage-pregnancy)

Even the amount of claims is dropping:

”Since 2013, there has also been a steady decline in the number of families claiming Child Benefit. In August 2022: there were 7.70 million families claiming Child Benefit for 13.20 million children, and 7.01 million families in receipt of Child Benefit payments for 12.16 million children.”
(Link: https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/child-benefit-statistics-annual-release-august-2022/child-benefit-statistics-annual-release-data-at-august-2022#:~:text=Since 2013%2C there has also,payments for 12.16 million children)

So birth rate, teenage conception rate, number of families claiming benefits and the amount of benefits paid out are all in decline.  This suggests that any changes seen in behaviour of kids isn’t directly attributable to the conditions you’re implying. 

• Like 1

Â