Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

About 20 years ago I spent about 5 years travelling between the US south Africa and the uk. Very early in that period I met a guy who taught me how to travel. It made a lot of difference. 

Always be polite, at check in volunteer your service to help in the case of a rowdy passenger, this got me loads of upgrades. Complain in writing about the little things again loads of upgrades and loads of air miles. Listen to the duty free trolley, if you hear them say they are out of something order that. Complain the you often fly that route, I used to get loads of miniatures for free. Join partner airlines and write to them and say you forgot to claim your air miles when you flew with a partner airline.

I had things going with hotel chains and a big one with Avis, car got broken into in Pasadena no probs but about 40 mins from LAX found a small local place with about 20 cars. We did a real where I would pick up a compact car from L.A. And go straight to the local dealer and swap it for the best car they had. Turns out I was there best customer. Even got a dodge viper once.

Anyway after all this we never had to pay for a holiday for about 12 years. flights hotels and car included. 

• Like 1

GB news contributor, on a story about people in Berlin dressing as dogs and barking at each other, live in air says ‘they should all be put down’

now apparently he was making a joke about dogs and he’s actually the victim and he’ll go after anyone legally who says that he said he wants to kill any groups of people 

Do words just not matter any more? Can people say whatever they want and if they’re called out on it they can just pretend reality didn’t exist and the woke mob are after them?

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

GB news contributor, on a story about people in Berlin dressing as dogs and barking at each other, live in air says ‘they should all be put down’

now apparently he was making a joke about dogs and he’s actually the victim and he’ll go after anyone legally who says that he said he wants to kill any groups of people 

Do words just not matter any more? Can people say whatever they want and if they’re called out on it they can just pretend reality didn’t exist and the woke mob are after them?

GB News. The absolute lowest of the low. I very much hope you just randomly saw a clip, rather than you sat and chose to watch that bilge.

7 minutes ago, Anthony said:

GB News. The absolute lowest of the low. I very much hope you just randomly saw a clip, rather than you sat and chose to watch that bilge.

I’d rather watch the Blouse every week. 

I can take the logic it’s a joke, sure, but how can a channel who want to rival Sky News and BBC news think such a joke is appropriate. 

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Tbf, as much as I hate GB News, I don’t massively see the problem with that joke?

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

Is it ever appropriate to joke about killing people en masse on a news channel?

It obviously didn’t mean people, because it’s not typical to put people down. It is typical to put dogs down hence the (poor) joke.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Genie said:

It obviously didn’t mean people, because it’s not typical to put people down. It is typical to put dogs down hence the (poor) joke.

It’s obvious what he meant, I’m not saying he literally meant it, but even his clarification was:

’you mean mass slaughter?’

’these idiots yeah’ 

it goes a bit beyond a joke 

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

It’s obvious what he meant, I’m not saying he literally meant it, but even his clarification was:

’you mean mass slaughter?’

’these idiots yeah’ 

it goes a bit beyond a joke 

That channel is so shit it is almost considered parody and nobody takes what they say seriously. 

As you say, if it was BBC or Sky News then there probably would be some sort of backlash. Because it’s that shower of shit it just gets ignored.

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

That channel is so shit it is almost considered parody and nobody takes what they say seriously. 

As you say, if it was BBC or Sky News then there probably would be some sort of backlash. Because it’s that shower of shit it just gets ignored.

The point is, they want to be treated like a serious channel, yet they have people saying shit like that, then tripling down on it

They then complain no one takes them seriously. 

When I'm having a catch up on a thread I haven't been into for a while. I'll read through and respond to various posts as I see fit to. 

Then I get to the end and find I've posted the last 5 or 6 posts on the thread in a row and look like a right dick. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The point is, they want to be treated like a serious channel, yet they have people saying shit like that, then tripling down on it

They then complain no one takes them seriously. 

They’ve hired Lee Anderson, they aren’t being serious. 

Just now, Genie said:

They’ve hired Lee Anderson, they aren’t being serious. 

On the flip side, regardless of our opinion on him, that’s the deputy chairman of the ruling party. It’s a good catch without context. 

32 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yeah it's the kind of thing you almost have to go out of your way to find it and get offended, which I've never seen the point of.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Tbf, as much as I hate GB News, I don’t massively see the problem with that joke?

I don't think there's anything wrong with the joke, but a news programme is not the place to crack it, it's more like something you would hear on HIGNFY.

Here is a little contaxt of the joke. There is a section of people that like dog role play. It is what it is but according to Pink News it is "particularly popular with gay men"

https://www.thepinknews.com/2023/09/21/gb-news-dan-wootton-adam-brooks-human-pups/

“Now you might think this is barking mad, because it is, but if we throw the woke mob a bone, scenes like that will soon become common place.” 

In response, pundit Adam Brooks chimed in: “We need to put them all down.” 

Wootton then said: “Adam, you called for a mass slaughter.” Which brought Brooks’ reply of  “Them idiots, yeah.”

Comment made, clarified by Wooten, doubled down by Brooks. 

1 hour ago, luckyeddie said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with the joke, but a news programme is not the place to crack it, it's more like something you would hear on HIGNFY.

Even if we were to say it’s fine on HIGNFY, if someone there made a joke about culling old people so the Tories can’t win, or brexit will be reversed and then went on a defensive tirade on Twitter after, there wouldn’t be hundreds of Ofcom complaints and calls for sackings?

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Even if we were to say it’s fine on HIGNFY, if someone there made a joke about culling old people so the Tories can’t win, or brexit will be reversed and then went on a defensive tirade on Twitter after, there wouldn’t be hundreds of Ofcom complaints and calls for sackings?

Not on a comedy show, jokes can be in bad taste, but a news show is not the place for comedy. Of course these folks that laugh at cullings for others do suddenly become very precious when they are the butt of the joke.

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

The business model of GB News is to have the channel grow and be popularised and advertised by people sharing controversial clips.

Just have a little think about that.

Exactly the same model as TalkSport who get famous name footballers on who have controversial opinions.

Nobody takes them seriously either.

• Like 1

Â