Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

According to the Queen's English, One should rhyme with gone, and Won with Done.

One thymes with gun surely ??

I moaned about the Northernisation of the BBC a few hundred pages ago , i keep shouting at the radio to correct them when they start mispronouncing the English language

The plot thickens.

Jon says that "1" = "won" (rhyming with "gone") is Queen's English, and that "1" = "wun" (rhyming with "fun") is Northern Monkey.

Tony says the exact opposite.

Perhaps we should ask the Queen?

Must admit, I have always thought that in terms of "RP" English, Tony (and Mrs Mooney) are correct, and that Jon is wrong.

But I don't think that the "one rhymes with gone" pronunciation is northern (people here in Yorkshire don't seem to do it), it's purely Brummie.

Personally I will always use it because I always have, it feels right to me, and using the "wun" pronunciation feels silly.

On topic

both the amount of rules around doing a raffle, and the fact that the guy in my office is insisting on sticking to them absolutely rigidly.

He's happy to break the law in other ways. But god forbid he should break the law organising a **** raffle

The one brummie-ism that has always caused me problems is when saying the number 5 over the phone .

I pronounce it foyve (as ya do loike) and whomever I am speaking to (Non brummies) will always think I am saying 4.

The one brummie-ism that has always caused me problems is when saying the number 5 over the phone .

I pronounce it foyve (as ya do loike) and whomever I am speaking to (Non brummies) will always think I am saying 4.

Great thread.

Those shite exposé shows with a clear agenda who slant/cherry pick the facts to fit their predetermined conclusions just as badly as (if not worse than) the people they're attempting to discredit. Really **** gets my goat.

Also the nauseatingly played out radio banter between the presenters and their shitty contrived call in set ups. And the fact that they always seem to work.

Those shite exposé shows with a clear agenda who slant/cherry pick the facts to fit their predetermined conclusions just as badly as (if not worse than) the people they're attempting to discredit. Really **** gets my goat.

I think 'Panorama' is the word you're looking for :P

I think 'Panorama' is the word you're looking for :P

Pretty much, yeah. :lol:

Dispatches on C4 does it's best to keep up though among other less notable also rans.

This

They made the effort to put up banners welcoming Arabic speakers and because the 'letters' aren't joined up, they are kicking up a fuss.

Just اللعنة off!

Yeah but they also don't make sense, so they have a point.

It's the thought that counts :|

Not if the thought ends up being "N O D N O L O T E M O C L E W" instead of "welcome to London" because they couldn't be arsed to double check it. :lol:

It can't exactly be hard to find a speaker of Arabic in London, can it?

We have consultants in the office at the moment. Anyway, one of em swanned in today at about 1030am, wearing chinos, a salmon short sleeve shirt and a pair of espedrills. Did about 2 hours work max then disappeared off into the sunshine.

Grrrrrrrrr

We have consultants in the office at the moment. Anyway, one of em swanned in today at about 1030am, wearing chinos, a salmon short sleeve shirt and a pair of espedrills. Did about 2 hours work max then disappeared off into the sunshine.

Grrrrrrrrr

yeah sorry about that, I had a golf thing I had to do

carry on though, just pretend we're not there,

Â