Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

I know we've had this discussion before, but the fact that the Yanks can't say the word 'Mirror'.

It comes out 'me - er' for them.

However, this is now pervading music and has even gone beyone the realms of the US. In the new First Aid Kit song, who are Swedish, they keep singing about some 'me-er'. Looking in the 'me-er'.

:evil:

People who jump the que.

WTF right have they got to go before others ?

i think its creeping in, before it was just something funny on holiday and you'd say we dont do that in england, but we do and its getting worse

worst ive seen was an emirates flight to dubai, they called something like rows 1 - 14 and i think me and my girlfriend were the only ones who stayed sat down, they announced it several times that it was those rows only and people were still getting turned away, when we landed you get the usual remain seated to the light goes off thing, absolutely no chance, everyone was up bags out stood up waiting to get off whilst we were still moving

problem is when flying trying to beat a que makes absolutely no sense, you rush to get on and you arent taking off till the last person is on board, you rush to get off just to go join another 2/3 ques and sods law your bag will be last anyway

If I have a seat in the isle I don't move until it makes sense to do so. I just make them wait as it is pointless to stand up ready if the doors are not even open ffs. 99% of people who fly should be set on fire IMO.

Are you sure?

That Selina is stunning though. :P

Let's hope so :D

Ah that's a relief.

I was worried because I was in Town a few weeks ago and noticed Mechu (or possibly it was Apres, can't remember, they'r enext to each other) were having "auditions" for The Only Way is Birmingham.

Assumed it was bollocks at the time but this had me worried.

At work there's a new regime of dickhead managment who have rolled out various new schemes, including an inhouse training program (cheaper than paying for external !) where we learn other teams' jobs to a basic level.....anyway the annoying phrase they use is "buying in"...as in "I dont think you're buying in to this scheme, Malcolm "...does my head in, especially as i hear it more & more in every day life.

**** off !

I went to the pub yesterday afternoon (on my own cuz I'm a saddo) had a couple of pints just to pass an hour or so and then it dawned on me that these days 6 pints will cost nearly £20

You obviously don't live in London.

£4 is the typical price for a pint at my local pubs. £4.50 for a fancy import beer.

I know we've had this discussion before, but the fact that the Yanks can't say the word 'Mirror'.

However, this is now pervading music and has even gone beyone the realms of the US. In the new First Aid Kit song, who are Swedish, they keep singing about some 'me-er'. Looking in the 'me-er'.

It's the same in Norn Iron too.

At work there's a new regime of dickhead managment who have rolled out various new schemes, including an inhouse training program (cheaper than paying for external !) where we learn other teams' jobs to a basic level.....anyway the annoying phrase they use is "buying in"...as in "I dont think you're buying in to this scheme, Malcolm "...does my head in, especially as i hear it more & more in every day life.

**** off !

Its so they can get rid of people and move you all around with the bonus that you all know the jobs, the training is a smoke screen more than likely.

"buying in" what a load of old tat of a saying that is.

Do they do "buying in" for pay rises ?

It's the same in Norn Iron too.

Reminds me of when Jeremy Clarkson got some Scottish bloke in the audience to say "burglar alarm" :lol: They can't say it :P

This reminds me of the whole James McClean argument.

People always say "It's pronounced 'Mc Clane'"

But is it? Or is that just because that's how Northern Irish people pronounce "lean"?

Yeah it should be McCleeeen. Though you can talk. You can't (or you refuse to) pronounce Cahill or Moran. It's not Kay-hill. It is Cah-hill. And it's not MuRAHN, it's MOH-ran.

No one I know pronounces it me-er... meerur is more like it.

Suspect it's more of a Midland dialect thing (perhaps not surprising if it's common in Ulster, given the extent to which Pennsylvania outside of Philadelphia was the primary area where the Midland dialect developed and was largely settled from Ulster ("Scotch-Irish")).

Gráinne

Yeah in fairness to the English, that name is in no way phonetic thanks to the fada (accent) over the 'a'. "Grainy" is the usual attempt I've heard from our English colleagues :) For those wondering, it should be graw-nya.

ODBCW.jpg

Former Lib Dem leader, Sir Menzies Campbell of Glasgow. How do you pronounce Menzies again? Oh yeah, "Ming-iss" :suspect:

That one is down to the very old fashioned letter in Scotish dialect that has been collapsed down into a 'z' or something, isn't it? I remember that being explained and just thinking 'But it's written in modern English, it's Menzees'.

Gráinne

Yeah in fairness to the English, that name is in no way phonetic thanks to the fada (accent) over the 'a'. "Grainy" is the usual attempt I've heard from our English colleagues :) For those wondering, it should be graw-nya.

Yeah, she gets everything from Grainy to Granny.

The one time I particularly laughed was when we walked past a busker playing irish music. My mom and I used to work at the same hotel (when I was at school) and she had come straight from work so she still had her name badge on.

Anyway, this busker saw the badge and said (in what I can only assume was a mock irish accent)

"Ah, now dere's a noice oirish name...'Grain'"

Nice try.

Anyway, even I don't say it right. I say Gron-ya

Â