Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

23 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I think I need to try a less far left site, if people are linking rape with sexism, there has never been proof of any real casual link.

I’m now wondering what you think sexism means. Do you seriously think this is a far left perspective?

Men raping and sexually assaulting women *is* sexism. It’s like saying nobody has proved the causal link between pork and sausages.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

At last a sensible post.

I agree people do care about social media abuse, which is why I suggested, it may be best to educate on this rather than individual campaigns of hate. People need to be educated on how to handle unreal social media abuse, where it comes from, who is posting this abuse etc.

Why not both?

It does, after all, look just a bit like victim-blaming arguing *against* campaigns against sexism, because these women need to just grow a thicker skin and put up with it.

It is for the best that people can just dismiss and laugh off comments by dickheads on the internet, but it's peculiar to take such affront at a campaign against the abuse in the first place. 

Edited by Davkaus

My wife works for a housing association and reguarly gets sexist abuse over the phone from residents.

Some will refuse to have a female trades operatives to fix things "because they don't know what they're doing"  When in actual fact the women often do a better job than the men as they feel they have more to prove and take extra care. Then there are the homes that they can't go to because them or another female has had abuse there previously.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Okay, so EE have launched a new Campaign on sexist hate, (heading is Jordan Henderson, who does anything to raise his profile anyway) but is it really a thing anymore, apart from on social media, which is really an issue on it's own? At the end of the advert, I can't remember who it is, but a women footballer has a message saying "back in the kitchen you stupid women". Do people really say this anymore to a women's face with serious conviction, I don't really think they do, unless your 70 and seriously old fashioned, an I very much doubt it would could from a child. Is it really a problem or are the media making something out of nothing again.

What's the next campaign, ginger hair?

If Jordan Henderson etc telling a few people not to be a dick winds you up then I think you need to reevaluate your priorities in life 

In our WhatsApp group someone shared the 3 irons on the shirt image for the woman’s European championship.. I chuckled , it’s amusing , it’s a bit of casual sexism that nobody in our WhatsApp group believes or adheres to… arguably harmless fun , though the yogurt knitters will probably tell me I’m going to hell for laughing at it .

in my IT days I had to install systems at a woman’s shelter , some of the women in their were so abused that were literally scared of their own shadow… I had to have someone go in front of me to check the corridors were empty , the sight of a male would have caused undue stress to some of the women … it was an eye opener for 20 year old me as i was by and large unaware of things like domestic violence … rest assured these homes still exist.

so two extremes , both kinda with sexism ideology at their heart …. you might only be involved in harmless” casual sexism with your mates and thus the advert seems another example of the world gone mad ; but for a lot of women it is far far worse than that .. educating people is no bad thing in that regard 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

In our WhatsApp group someone shared the 3 irons on the shirt image for the woman’s European championship.. I chuckled , it’s amusing , it’s a bit of casual sexism that nobody in our WhatsApp group believes or adheres to… arguably harmless fun , though the yogurt knitters will probably tell me I’m going to hell for laughing at it .

With those kind of jokes I think it really depends on your audience.

I'll sometimes make sexist jokes to my other half, because she absolutely knows I'm just pressing her feminist buttons. She knows I'm winding her up and wouldn't **** dream of saying it in front of anyone else, and we wind each other up in similar ways. The real danger, I think, is not making those kind of jokes with people who will take you seriously and be offended, but rather those who might take it seriously and agree with you! A bit like the minority of Al Murray's audience who laugh along at the pub landlord not realising that they are the punchline. Suddenly one misplaced joke and you're in the company of a bunch of blokes in the pub agreeing women have no place playing a men's game wondering how to avoid agreeing out of politeness.

If your going to conclude sexism to the exremes as rape and domestic violence I'm on the train. But the advert does not represent this, or if it does, its doing a pretty shit job.

I'm not getting wound up by it by the way,  I just find it funny it's always the same few that come the extreme defence of sexism, racism, diversity and the like. Im sure there are many others on here with opposing views, it's just they see its not worth having any other views/opinions unless its in agreement with you few guys.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

If your going to conclude sexism to the exremes as rape and domestic violence I'm on the train. But the advert does not represent this, or if it does, its doing a pretty shit job.

I'm not getting wound up by it by the way,  I just find it funny it's always the same few that come the extreme defence of sexism, racism, diversity and the like. Im sure there are many others on here with opposing views, it's just they see its not worth having any other views/opinions unless its in agreement with you few guys.

I’m struggling to understand what you want. There are softer examples too, but then you’ll presumably argue they are minor inconveniences?

I mean a good one is the way maternity and paternity leave are structured, meaning that many employers are reluctant to hire women aged 25-35 for key roles.

Or you could just look at the example someone gave further up the thread of his wife / gf routinely getting sexist abuse when she tries to perform her role for a housing association.

Or the number of women who get catcalled by passing drivers, or told they can’t do X, Y, Z because it’s a man’s job.

There are so many examples it’s hard to know where to start.

Obviously life has become a lot easier for women in recent years, but that doesn’t mean sexism has disappeared. It’s hard to take someone seriously who literally thinks this isn’t happening.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Extreme? In the last few months, off the top of my head we've had this from you

• Sexism isn't really a problem
  • There's nothing wrong with blackface
  • People need to stop trying too hard to be inclusive on TV
  • Nobody should apologise for mistakes they made in the past that they think look offensive to modern audiences
  • People should stop feeling guilty about slavery because it ended 400 years ago :D 

You really do pick some odd hills to die on. In fact, I remember one time you decided to put the boot in on someone making racist comments, and it was a "gotcha" against that asian cricketer who'd made a couple of posts a decade ago, that you decided undermined his testimony against racism in cricket.

I note you've ignored the couple of posts asking why you don't talk to some actual women about their experiences in the real world with sexism.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Extreme? In the last few months, off the top of my head we've had this from you

• Sexism isn't really a problem
  • There's nothing wrong with blackface
  • People need to stop trying too hard to be inclusive on TV
  • Nobody should apologise for mistakes they made in the past that they think look offensive to modern audiences
  • People should stop feeling guilty about slavery because it ended 400 years ago :D 

You really do pick some odd hills to die on. In fact, I remember one time you decided to put the boot in on someone making racist comments, and it was a "gotcha" against that asian cricketer who'd mad a couple of posts a decade ago, that you decided undermined his testimony against racism in cricket.

I note you've ignored the couple of posts asking why you don't talk to some actual women about their experiences in the real world with sexism.

I talk to many women and men in our social scene, but its obviously different to your cagey groups cause they don't really care, unless they feel threatened by it. They certainly don't get offended by jokes.

If you wanna continue to try change my views, take it to another thread, cause we have took this far enough in here anyway.

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I talk to many women and men in our social scene, but its obviously different to your cagey groups cause they don't really care, unless they feel threatened by it. They certainly don't get offended by jokes.

If you wanna continue to try change my views, take it to another thread, cause we have took this far enough in here anyway.

But do they talk to you?

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

1. Nobody has said they're offended by jokes

2. Yeah, people tend to feel threatened by...well, threats and abuse

3. People don't need to feel threatened for something to be discriminatory and unacceptable.

No, I can't be bothered moving to another thread to try to "change the views" of someone who only days ago outright said you approach any discussion thinking you won't have your view changed anyway. What's the point? I'm bored of presenting this facade that I think you're here to discuss in good faith. You come along every few days, post some provocative BS, ignore posts that are inconvenient then claim everyone is too lefty before you scuttle away, only to repeat it a few days later. What sort of bigotry are you going to claim is overreacted to next? I reckon little people have had it too good for too long.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

little people have had it too good for too long.

That’ll be a short conversation.

Also, can we agree to disagree, rather than start down antagonist routes?

• Haha 1

Just now, KentVillan said:

Why does every online nerd community have that one guy who thinks he’s the cool one who’s just visiting the nerds in between being a massive legend.

I am cool, you nerd.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Â