Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Every industry has the right to fight its corner if they feel they're not getting a fair deal. It's not nurses versus barristers or teachers versus taxi drivers etc. It's each industry fighting for what is fair for them. Each of them fighting their own particular paymaster, regardless of how they compare against each other's totally different industries. Comparisons are irrevelant. If you're not getting enough then fight your corner. Don't begrudge someone else fighting theirs. Also, the breadline is not the criteria for striking. And multiple problems can be solved simultaneously. It's not a 'take a ticket, your strike is next'.

I agree, but do they every win, cause it seems with most of these strikes, it's kinda black mail. Is there no other way? An its always when we are all could do with a bit extra.

15 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I agree, but do they every win, cause it seems with most of these strikes, it's kinda black mail. Is there no other way? An its always when we are all could do with a bit extra.

There are other forms of industrial action. Work to rule, refusing overtime etc, but ultimately taking strike action is the last resort. Obviously trade unions don't want to take their members out on strike, but often there's no choice. If anyone payed attention to some of my previous posts, they probably figured out I'm heavily invovled in the trade union movement. We're actually in the middle of an industrial action ballot to strike at the moment. We hope that delivering a huge yes vote from the membership will be enough to bring the employer back to talk to us, but obviously we have to prepare for that not happening. We don't want our members to lose money, but we also recognise that if we don't make a stand againts the imposition of pay by the employer, we'll get walked over again next time, and the members will lose faith. So in answer to the question, unfortunately sometimes there is no other way. 

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Have you read the thread or just come in as back up. Barristers want to strike next because they want a pay rise.

Yes I read it. I read the posts explaining why that’s not very much money for a criminal barrister. You should give it a go

37 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I was thinking private barristers I guess. But 45k is hardly breadline money.

45k is the income before expenses

A substantial amount of that money goes on chambers fees, work clothes, transport etc. The chambers fees will take out a big chunk before all the others

They are self-employed but are in a situation where the government controls the rate at which they are paid though the legal aid mechanism

13 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Where on earth did this £150K bollocks come from?

Private barrister, I know one through work, older chap admitted, but he earns more than that, but does high profile cases, terrorists, murderers, rakes it in through the legal aid system. Drives around in a 150k Merc. I see now the strike action would not include him.  

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

Scaffolders are on £70-100k at the moment.

We should have their salary and share it between nurses and teachers.

Becoz scaffolders are idiots innit.

You don't know the half of it... 

But maybe, just maybe one day teachers will tell kids at their school what a scaffolder can earn if they graft rather than chase a degree and statistic their high school can be proud of 

Construction is still a dirty looked down upon simple man's trade and I'm out here paying on average about £40 per hour in oil and gas, its embarrassing what some of them charge, I'm talking more than NHS Dr money to be a welder, your high school career advisor ain't telling you that I guarantee you 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yes I read it. I read the posts explaining why that’s not very much money for a criminal barrister. You should give it a go

I'd rather graft for 45k knowing I may be able to move up the ladder, than stuck in a dead end job,12 hours shifts for £9.80 an hour, piece of piss that!

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

You don't know the half of it... 

But maybe, just maybe one day teachers will tell kids at their school what a scaffolder can earn if they graft rather than chase a degree and statistic their high school can be proud of 

Construction is still a dirty looked down upon simple man's trade and I'm out here paying on average about £40 per hour in oil and gas, its embarrassing what some of them charge, I'm talking more than NHS Dr money to be a welder, your high school career advisor ain't telling you that I guarantee you 

I know a bunch of contractors on HS2 earning £500 a day. There certainly is money in the trade at the moment.

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Fully qualified teachers, surely that ain't right? They get paid bands don't they?

My wife is an assistant principal at a secondary school, whilst her salary is good at a glance , when you break it down per hour worked its shite , it’s not unusual in our house for her to be still working at 11pm , yes they go through pay bands/ brackets but once you get to senior leadership it kind of halts 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I know a bunch of contractors on HS2 earning £500 a day. There certainly is money in the trade at the moment.

Nope... Was about 6 weeks ago I was moaning about the guy at my place as construction manager on 1500€ a day plus expenses... my company officially charges 148€ per hour, should be based on a 10 hour day but we all know how that works

Its mental out there, if you get caught between hinckley and HS2 you can charge what you want 

But its still a dirty trade 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, BOF said:

Every industry has the right to fight its corner if they feel they're not getting a fair deal. It's not nurses versus barristers or teachers versus taxi drivers etc. It's each industry fighting for what is fair for them. Each of them fighting their own particular paymaster, regardless of how they compare against each other's totally different industries. Comparisons are irrevelant. If you're not getting enough then fight your corner. Don't begrudge someone else fighting theirs. Also, the breadline is not the criteria for striking. And multiple problems can be solved simultaneously. It's not a 'take a ticket, your strike is next'.

Unfortunately, many people think it is (first bolded bit) and that is exactly what the tories want. Ignore 12 years of devastating cuts and have a go at teachers instead of understanding why these professions might strike every now and again. Second bolded bit - they will keep winning elections having successfully turned people against each other instead of using their heads and understanding the root cause. Sickening!

Â