Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

I remember using our first satnav to find a country pub in Cornwall.  Took us down the narrowest tractor road I've ever been on. One of those really sunken roads, more grass, the 2 strips of road were more hardcore than tarmac. The sides of the Mondeo were scraping the sides. Mrs Sidcow was driving and at one point refused to go on convinced we'd left the public road. 

Finally got there and I was telling the barman about the road we'd come in on and he said "ah, you came in on the M1 then did you? Were you following a sat nav?" 

Turns out the A Road the satnav took us off to go down this narrow lane actually curved back on itself and took you straight to the pub. He said they were getting loads of people diverted down there. 

I think this is how Waze works.  Users put their preferred routes in, obviously mostly locals so it works out best routes using local knowledge. 

2 hours ago, Xela said:

A lot of the automotive YouTubers I watch tend to use Waze. Its a free download and is owned by Google and no doubt uses Google's maps, but a lot of people say it's much better. 

Never used it myself though (or Google Maps). 

Doesn't use Google Maps, if anything Google uses Waze's data

Waze maps are constantly updated by a volunteer community. You can argue Google maps is too but not in the same way, the Waza community have much more editing powers (as in almost complete autonomy)

When you're out and about and a car drives past you and gives you the old 'beep beep beep' (you alright mate) as it drives past.

1. I had a heart attack.

2  I don't know who the **** that was 

3. I clearly don't know you well enough to even remotely recognise the car.

4. . Shut the **** up.

Not once have I ever been driving saw someone and gave them the old beep of approval. It's **** annoying.

9 hours ago, bickster said:

Doesn't use Google Maps, if anything Google uses Waze's data

Waze maps are constantly updated by a volunteer community. You can argue Google maps is too but not in the same way, the Waza community have much more editing powers (as in almost complete autonomy)

I've updated loads of stuff on Google Maps. Even added service roads and footpaths. You can rely on Google Maps in Bewdley. Unless someone has added something new and I've not corrected it yet :mrgreen:

Google Maps is the almost always the best choice of navigation for people that don'r drive.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

When you're out and about and a car drives past you and gives you the old 'beep beep beep' (you alright mate) as it drives past.

1. I had a heart attack.

2  I don't know who the **** that was 

3. I clearly don't know you well enough to even remotely recognise the car.

4. . Shut the **** up.

Not once have I ever been driving saw someone and gave them the old beep of approval. It's **** annoying.

This happens to me a lot if I'm out for a run. I just wave over my shoulder after they've whizzed past, with not a clue as to who it was. 

1 hour ago, limpid said:

I've updated loads of stuff on Google Maps. Even added service roads and footpaths. You can rely on Google Maps in Bewdley. Unless someone has added something new and I've not corrected it yet :mrgreen:

Google Maps is the almost always the best choice of navigation for people that don'r drive.

I have to update it for work as sometimes our VOice recognition won't pick up places in our street directory because people either get the suburb wrong or say Liverpool as the suburb at which point it searches google

Google's understanding of suburbs is woeful

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

I have to update it for work as sometimes our VOice recognition won't pick up places in our street directory because people either get the suburb wrong or say Liverpool as the suburb at which point it searches google

Google's understanding of suburbs is woeful

Does the borough allow the same street name in different suburbs?

28 minutes ago, limpid said:

Does the borough allow the same street name in different suburbs?

Oh yes, I call this the Church Road Problem

This is but just one example

Church Road, Litherland, L21

Church Road, Seaforth, Waterloo, L21 (you'll notice the ludicrous double suburb there)

Church Road, Waterloo, L22

If you took the mid-point of the Seaforth one and drew a 1 mile radius circle, all three would be in that circle

EDIT: There also used to be a Church Road, Bootle, L20 that was within that radius too but thankfully that got demolished. Also add into the equation that Liverpool isn't just one borough (all those are in Sefton)

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

Church Road, Seaforth, Waterloo, L21 (you'll notice the ludicrous double suburb there)

If you took the mid-point of the Seaforth one and drew a 1 mile radius circle, all three would be in that circle

EDIT: There also used to be a Church Road, Bootle, L20 that was within that radius too but thankfully that got demolished. Also add into the equation that Liverpool isn't just one borough (all those are in Sefton)

It seems dumb naming these after a building called "church", rather than being named after the saint the church was dedicated for.

I can only imagine what the postal service must be like for people living in those streets.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bickster said:

Please take this to the boring thread eh? ;)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Someone keeps plastering neo-nazi stickers on all of the lamp posts and signs around my house…I don’t THINK my partner and I are being targeted specifically but it’s still deflating and infuriating to see 😡

EDIT: This is something that very much SHOULD piss me off but I’m not sure if there is a thread for that 😅

Edited by Eidolon
  • Sad 4

3 minutes ago, Eidolon said:

Someone keeps plastering neo-nazi stickers on all of the lamp posts and signs around my house…I don’t THINK my partner and I are being targeted specifically but it’s still deflating and infuriating to see 😡

Set up a camera - does Australia have hate crime laws?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

Set up a camera - does Australia have hate crime laws?

That’s a good idea. We should be able to get a good angle of a few of their regularly targeted sign posts from our porch 🤔

• Like 1

Her: do you want to go for a walk today?

Me: Yeah sounds good, maybe around 1pm (it's 11:30 at this point)

Her: sure :)

I go to watch MOTD upstairs

20 mins later

Her: *floating around, clearly bored* Can we go now?

Me: I said 1pm and you agreed, I want to watch this

Her: ok

Another 20 mins later when Villa comes on MOTD

Her: Why are you even watching it? You watched it yesterday!

Women are always bored, don't get it

• Like 1

Oh and then I was accused of being problematic 

??????

setting a time to do something that was agreed with. Silently doing something on my own out of the way of everybody and being ready to go at the time we agreed 

problematic 

????!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Oh and then I was accused of being problematic 

??????

setting a time to do something that was agreed with. Silently doing something on my own out of the way of everybody and being ready to go at the time we agreed 

problematic 

????!!

Don't try and argue, you can't win. 

• Like 2

Â