Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

23 hours ago, RimmyJimmer said:

Oh man...'can i get....' this annoys me way too much!

No you can't get it, that's my job, but you can have it by all means!

Cretins

What to we call a collection of connected consecutive television programmes in this country? 

A "series" I hear you reply

NO. Apparently we call it a SEASON now.  Creeping Americanisms really piss me off

Season is such a ridiculous bl00dy word for it anyway. A season is a time of year. . Most American TV series are so bloody long they take in at least 2 seasons anyway. Chunts and their stupid expressions.

I remember Kay's catalogue a few years ago started calling trousers pants as well which really was the last straw.  5 Guys is THE most overrated experience I have ever had in my life

Americans piss me off 

On 03/05/2016 at 20:07, Rugeley Villa said:

totally agree. if my kids start running about anywhere where its not a play area they know about it. the wife is the laid back one although she dont let them do whatever and ive been described by her as a miliary officer because im too strict. im not that strict, i just like my kids to be disciplined and well mannered and if they aint they get dragged out by their arms.

My kids are always well behaved when we are out and about and we often get compliments but it's because we basically don't let them tw@t about,  they will get is right in the neck. Kids around restaurants are not a problem the bl00dy lazy arse irresponsible parents who can't be bothered to actually be a parent and teach their kids respect and manners and how to behave.  Even worse are the ones who KNOW the kids are being a menace and tell them once in a half hearted manner to stop and then go back to whatever they are doing.  IF YOU KNOW IT'S A PROBLEM BL00DY WELL STOP THEM!!! 

That said I have always found it curious that it's a purely British thing getting annoyed with kids in restaurants. On the continent they actually take joy in it

Mind you what was wrong with the old days like when I was a kid and dad could leave you in the car all day whilst he went to the pub just bringing out the occasional coke bottle with a straw and some salt n vinegar walkers? 

41 minutes ago, sidcow said:

What to we call a collection of connected consecutive television programmes in this country? 

A "series" I hear you reply

NO. Apparently we call it a SEASON now.  Creeping Americanisms really piss me off

Season is such a ridiculous bl00dy word for it anyway. A season is a time of year. . Most American TV series are so bloody long they take in at least 2 seasons anyway. Chunts and their stupid expressions.

I remember Kay's catalogue a few years ago started calling trousers pants as well which really was the last straw.  5 Guys is THE most overrated experience I have ever had in my life

Americans piss me off 

I was with you up until the last sentence. Americans on the whole are fine, and their usage of English is simply a local variant, it's what happens. 

It's British people (and companies) that deliberately use the Americanisms rather than the perfectly good British usage that piss me off. 

16 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I was with you up until the last sentence. Americans on the whole are fine, and their usage of English is simply a local variant, it's what happens. 

It's British people (and companies) that deliberately use the Americanisms rather than the perfectly good British usage that piss me off. 

I didn't really mean the individual people rather that they created these things that people take on board. That said my American Californian blonde haired surfer dude cousin really is an unsufferable tw@t

I call uk telly series and us telly seasons. 

On topic, 80's nostalgia. The 80's were shit, everything was awful, stop pretending telly, music, fashion from the 80's was great. It wasnt, it was not at all. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

On topic, 80's nostalgia. The 80's were shit, everything was awful, stop pretending telly, music, fashion from the 80's was great. It wasnt, it was not at all. 

This. 

On topic, 80's nostalgia. The 80's were shit, everything was awful, stop pretending telly, music, fashion from the 80's was great. It wasnt, it was not at all

Blackadder-Confused-Look.gif

• Like 2

On topic, 80's nostalgia. The 80's were shit, everything was awful, stop pretending telly, music, fashion from the 80's was great. It wasnt, it was not at all

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Shropshire Lad said:

there are some examples of passable TV, as there are passable albums, but broadly it was dreadful, never understood Reflex, why the hell would I want to go and be reminded of the 80's???? The talking heads programmes where someone who was 5 in 1987 will tell me that it was a great time to be alive, politics, music, telly, however by this very post I am carrying out the very thing that pisses me off, 80's nostalgia.

The 80's had a lot of great music and films. It wasn't all awful.

Also, the last time I went to a Reflex bar was on a Saturday night and there were no more than 10 people inside, including my group of 4 friends. They were all guys, most in their 40's wearing their best blue jeans and 'smart' shirt from Debenhams. It was one of the most depressing things I've ever seen.

Edited by Phumfeinz

This has to be generation related. I agree that there was some good TV. Dunno about films, I'm really bad at remembering what films were made when, so I'll reserve judgement.

But the big three 80s hates for me personally were politics (Thatcher and Reagan), fashion, and - above all - music. Especially the music that 80s fans insist was the BEST stuff. I just hated it, still do. 

Apparently the 90s are to today's teens as the 80s were to my lot. If this means a growing understanding of how great Pavement and The Breeders actually were, I'm ok with it. Likely it will mean N*Sync reforming and a retread of the Shitpop years. I've seen more than a few fellows walking around looking like the Gallagher brothers circa 95, and one too many young ladies in dungarees. If the curtain haircut returns, I'm off to Belize.

• Like 1

I bought my first house at the tail end of the 1980's.

It was terrible, I needed to buy a house right at a spike in house prices. £30,000. If I'd been buying 6 months earlier houses in the same street had been £25,000.

Crazy crazy end of days prices, but we managed some how.....

80's nostalgia focuses on mainstream, the popular, and thats what was shocking, its easy to say there was some great music, clearly I am not referring to surfer rosa, or a chameleons album, or even springsteen, its the shit, the dross. Politics were awful, no light at the end of the tunnel, it was a depressing time and as for films personally it wasnt a good decade. Yes there was some good television, but also some flimsy shite that shouldnt have been commissioned.

Â