Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

People using Football Cocking Manager as an analysis tool for potential signings and even worse then using its cocking algorithms to assess his potential in 3/4 years time.

****. Right. Off.

Yeah, pretty damn moronic, the list of players FM have predicted to become stars when they haven't is about as long as Lex Steele's cock.

People using Football Cocking Manager as an analysis tool for potential signings and even worse then using its cocking algorithms to assess his potential in 3/4 years time.

****. Right. Off.

Came here to pretty much post this.

What are SSN playing at, I've just seen they are using FM attributes as 'stats', they just did an attribute comparison between coquelan and a midfielder arsenal are apparently interested in.

Tacking

Positioning

Workrate

Etc.

They are supposed to be journalists ffs, that is absolute garbage.

It's wasn't even just, "his strengths are his tackling passing and work rate, he's a typical DM" or something like that.

Genuinely, it was just his stats are better than coquelan so he must be an improvement and a good signing.

Yes I found that odd, until I realised it was 'Sky Sports Transfer Centre, sponsored by Football Manager' and it became a bit clearer. To be fair FM is as good as a scouting database as it gets but yeah, it's shit journalism.

Using FM to give themselves an idea of what the players strengths might be is fine.

Using it to actually come to any sort of meaningful conclusion is a bit silly.

Where's the line between the two?

Saying "this player seems to be better at heading the ball than he is at anything else" is fine.  To derive from that that "this player will succeed in the physical Premier League" is not fine.

• Like 1

I've completely lost interest in footie at the moment. Didn't even know who we signed until ginko told me the other day.

It's completely unexciting.

I'd still come here though, off topic can be brilliant and I use the games forum quite a lot.

I'm still interested in football but don't really care anymore if that makes sense. All the petty squabbles between fans all looks quite sad to me now. And to think I used to be one of them.

Maybe it's an age thing.

• Like 1

I care about the villa obviously, can't remember the last time I just sat and watched football all day though, Sunday used to be goals on Sunday, super Sunday, La liga, now I'm in the office Monday morning asking people how their team got on

I'm not sure if it's the way the money and the champions league has resulted in the top 4 bullshit or if it's the way the media cover football resulting in the top 4 bullshit being forced down my throat whenever I try and enjoy it

Edited by villa4europe

Using FM to give themselves an idea of what the players strengths might be is fine.

Using it to actually come to any sort of meaningful conclusion is a bit silly.

Where's the line between the two?

Saying "this player seems to be better at heading the ball than he is at anything else" is fine.  To derive from that that "this player will succeed in the physical Premier League" is not fine.

Exactly.

"Manchester United are signing Joe Bloggs. He appears to be a good header of the ball and quick, but not so good positionally" is fine.

"Manchester United are signing Joe Bloggs. He is an upgrade on MIchael Carrick and he will be taking his place in the team" is not.

I can't believe grown men still play FM. Where on earth to do you find the time!!??

Says the man with 2000 posts on an internet forum.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 4

I can't believe grown men still play FM. Where on earth to do you find the time!!??

Says the man with 2000 posts on an internet forum.
Haha you got me there! It is time I took another VT sabbatical.

Plus in my defence my wife and kid are away and not back for another 2 weeks. She hates VT.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

People say 'guesstimate'. When did it become so unfashionable to just use the word 'estimate'.

I've always assumed they are two different things. 

An estimate implies some sort of knowledge, experience or thought process whereas a guestimate is pulling figures out of ones arse. 

• Like 2

Edit: championship manager used to take over my life as a kid!

Thissety this this.  But I extend it beyond FM and on to gaming and consoles in general.  And I used to be a serious gamer.

i don't mind games but what i don't get is this recent development of watching other people play games.

I suppose if it's a game you're interested in and you want to watch the best players playing it (and learn some tips along the way maybe) then it could be almost the latest equivalent of watching a sport that you're interested in as an armchair fan.  I assume those who watch at some point do actually play the game at other points and they're not exclusively watchers, because that would be weird.

i don't mind games but what i don't get is this recent development of watching other people play games.

I suppose if it's a game you're interested in and you want to watch the best players playing it (and learn some tips along the way maybe) then it could be almost the latest equivalent of watching a sport that you're interested in as an armchair fan.  I assume those who watch at some point do actually play the game at other points and they're not exclusively watchers, because that would be weird.

I watch some people playing games. But I watch the ones that are funny. 

I wouldn't watch just anyone playing it.

Oh I get that. I'm shit at games, and CBA to practice. But the graphics are so good these days it's nearly as good as watching a movie.

Â