Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

From the OS

Martin O'Neill has reassured Villa fans efforts are being made to bolster the squad in the wake of the latest departure.

Midfielder Gavin McCann last night completed a £1million switch to Barclays Premier League rivals Bolton Wanderers - joining Jlloyd Samuel on the way out of Villa Park.

Lee Hendrie will also leave by the end of the month, while striker Juan Pablo Angel moved to MLS outfit New York Red Bulls last month.

Despite the departures, O'Neill is confident he will head into the 2007-08 campaign with a significantly strengthened squad.

He said: "We can't have what happened to us last November - when we were scratching around for players - happen to us again.

"We have a fairly decent idea of what we're going to try to do. The whole reason I've come is because I want to try to fulfil the hopes, dreams and ambitions of the supporters.

"It's not easy, but that's part of the whole excitement. Randy Lerner has been very supportive and he wants to try to lift the club from a position of non-strength into one of strength."

CLICK HERE

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Villa boss keeping tabs on Hamburg midfielder

Jun 9 2007

By Bill Howell, Birmingham Mail

HAMBURG'S Dutch international midfielder Nigel de Jong is thought to be back on Martin O'Neill's radar as he attempts to find a replacement for Gavin McCann.

The German club are believed to have given Villa and other Premiership suitors encouragement to make a firm offer.

"We have heard rumours of interest from them (Villa)", said Hamburg Sporting Director Dietmar Beiersdorfer. "But at the moment there is no news."

Hamburg need to get their highest earner off the wage bill after a poor season in the Bundesliga which saw them flirt with relegation before finishing seventh and outside the Champions League places. They also lost five out of six Champions League games to finish bottom of Arsenal's group.

The 22-year-old defensive midfielder, who arrived from Ajax for £700,000 some 18 months ago at a time when Manchester United and Chelsea were both linked with moves, has three years remaining of a contract thought to earn him around £40,000 a week.

Both PSV Eindhoven and AZ Alkmaar are also said to be keen.

De Jong's time in the Bundesliga turned sour with the dismissal of coach Thomas Doll in February and subsequent arrival of Huub Stevens which left him on the sidelines.

Meanwhile, McCann has completed his £1m move to Bolton, and thus joins Jloyd Samuel at The Reebok.

McCann, who was also interesting Everton, joined Villa from Sunderland in the summer of 2003 and has agreed a three-year deal.

Bolton boss Sammy Lee said: "Gavin has quality in abundance. He is an experienced campaigner who knows the Premier League inside out.

"He has all the attributes you need for the modern game - a good passing range, excellent touch on the ball and optimum energy levels to cope with the rigours of the domestic game and our European campaign."

Villa are believed to still hold an interest in Wesley Sneijder, despite keen interest from Tottenham, and are waiting to tie up a deal for West Ham's Nigel Reo-Coker.

Elsewhere, O'Neill has given up on trying to recruit Celtic goalkeeper Artur Boruc and although Hearts' Scotland keeper Craig Gordon remains in his thoughts he is understood to be scouring the continent for a top level replacement for Thomas Sorensen.

Clicky

If you want me to name players I will give you these:

Steve Sidwell. (I am positive MON tried)

Sylvain Distin.

And these are just players going to English clubs.

Proof please. Backup what you say or stop the wild assumptions. Football Manager has got zero link with real life.

Do you mean I need to stop because you say so? well...you´re heading for a surprise little boy...

Steve Sidwell. (I am positive MON tried)

Sylvain Distin.

Tricella, don't ever go on a quiz show.

When you get the answer wrong, I don't think 'I'm positive that's the answer' will cut it.

Just be honest, you have no proof that any player has rejected us.

I understand that you have problem with what I write if you only read half of what is said. I wrote that my prediction is the same as saying we havent had a go for them. It is pure speculation from both sides...so how can you say that your version is the right one and mine is wrong?

I dont have any proof we´ve been rejected...no...but you have no proof we havent...so as far as I am concerned we are both allowed to write what we think.

I dont have any proof we´ve been rejected...no...but you have no proof we havent...so as far as I am concerned we are both allowed to write what we think.

You can write what you think but i think it looks a bit silly talking about players rejecting us when there is not a single piece of evidence to suggest it.

You could look at the list jez posts every so often and moan about eveyone of those players rejecting aston villa when in reality there has only been evidence to suggest we are interested in NRC

I'd stick to the facts when it comes to transfers.

You can write what you think but i think it looks a bit silly talking about players rejecting us when there is not a single piece of evidence to suggest it.

You could look at the list jez posts every so often and moan about eveyone of those players rejecting aston villa when in reality there has only been evidence to suggest we are interested in NRC

I'd stick to the facts when it comes to transfers.

Yeah yeah whatever....you never speculate LukeMoore? You know it all?

Everyone knows that there were much rumours around that Sidwell was a target for Villa and it would surprise me very much if MON didnt try and get him for free. The rumours wasnt from me and almost everyone believed it on this site...or at least wanted to believe it!

Distin was a favourite among many visitors on this site and we was connected with him in rumours before..I think it was january...and the rumour kept coming after the season...and consistent rumours like that tends to have som truth in it.

Based on this I have had a feeling that we has been in contact to buy them or at least try. They have obviously chosen other teams and that is not so strange. If you believe that MON will be 100% successful in his hunt for new players you are fooling yourself big time. He will lose some...and he will win some...

Facts facts facts...everyone seem to be demanding facts about things when they too speculate their asses off in various kind of discussions. I dont complain about that because this is a thread in this forum where everyone is allowed to speculate and to suggest whatever falls into mind. Dont try and stop me...it is not your call.

There is no evidence that points to the fact that we have been left out by any players, although I guess MON was after Craig Bellamy but 1) he doesn't want to leave and 2) his wage demands are absolutely ridiculous if the quoted 100K a week is remotely near the truth. Him not wanting to leave is reasonable enough, I guess most people would stay at Liverpool fighting for a spot rather than being a starter at the Villa.

However, I am quite certain our men are struggling a bit with the transfers because we are in need of so many players and no-one has been brought in. We have gotten rid of Lee Hendrie, J'Lloyd Samuel, Gavin McCann and Juan Pablo Angel as of now, two of them who were starters at one point of the season. I guess Nigel Reo-Coker is coming in, he is an improvement on McCann but certainly not a proven talent in my eyes. My only wish is that every player on MON's radar is here before the start of the pre-season training but I guess that will never happen. I hate it when managers complaint about new players not having enough time to settle etc, I hope MON won't fall in that trap though.

Tricella, the two players you come up with are Sidwell and Distin. I like many other fans are wont lose any sleep for missing out on these two i assure you. Next you'll be saying we got rejected by Nani, Anderson and Hargreaves.

Tricella, the two players you come up with are Sidwell and Distin. I like many other fans are wont lose any sleep for missing out on these two i assure you. Next you'll be saying we got rejected by Nani, Anderson and Hargreaves.

You are such a child. Grow up and come back and talk in a respectful manner...I cant see why you need to insult me? What have I done to you?

It doesnt matter if you wont lose sleep over that we might have lost the signings of Sidwell and Distin. That is hardly what I am talking about. I do think that MON was interested and that is why I count it as signings we lost. I said it first that I havent any proof of this but you didnt read all of my post...obviously. And you dont have proof to show otherwise...so what are you going on about?

Is this the thread of Truth, Facts and Signings or is it the thread of Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions? Read the headline...what does it say?

However, I am quite certain our men are struggling a bit with the transfers because we are in need of so many players and no-one has been brought in.

That is a major assumption Roca, this is not Doug Randy doesn't like leaking stories to Baggie Bill.

We might have deals lined up just not announced, for example NRC because he is away, Defoe because he is in Spain doing some addidas training camp or waiting for Spurs to sign Bent etc etc etc.

Nothing has to be announced until well whenever the clubs see fit, doesn't mean nothing is happening or has happened!

It is blumin frustrating though.....

If Sneijder had his choice of club- Spurs- London, Dutch Manager, Edgar Davids, or Villa- Brum and great possibility, my guess is he'll choose Spurs. London clubs with money will always have a slight edge over us in the market, just based on geography. That's why I'm pissed West Ham stayed up, because they have money and London to offer, we have Spaghetti Junction.