Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

This might be a bit off topic but here goes.

This Michael Owen thing on the BBC today about him "staying loyal if none of the top 4 want him". Shepherd has said that none of them want him so he should stay at the barcodes. Why say this at all? Why is it news worthy? I just wonder if a lower club than one of the top 4 has made an inquery (Villa) and Owen is considering it. Otherwise why start shouting and spouting about Owen leaving. Something must be happening. Someone explain.

Exactly what I thought and when I look around the league and ask myself about Owen, other than the top four, I think of......

......Villa!

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I just add a thought. We need cover at centre back cos laursen can do a full season right? So what if we bought a left back who could cover Bouma when Laursen was injured, with Bouma moving over to his favourite position at left sided centre back? A young left back who could cover the position giving him the time learn the prem. Like Gareth Bale?

Can I just add a thought. We need cover at centre back cos laursen can do a full season right? So what if we bought a left back who could cover Bouma when Laursen was injured, with Bouma moving over to his favourite position at left sided centre back?

I'd rather go for experience in that position rather than more youth. Which we do have quite a lot of at the moment. I would say that Distin would be ideal for us in that scenario. Cover for Laursen and Bouma. First choice replacement if either goes down. Gives us options all over that side of defence.

This Michael Owen thing on the BBC today about him "staying loyal if none of the top 4 want him". Shepherd has said that none of them want him so he should stay at the barcodes. Why say this at all? Why is it news worthy? I just wonder if a lower club than one of the top 4 has made an inquery (Villa) and Owen is considering it. Otherwise why start shouting and spouting about Owen leaving. Something must be happening. Someone explain.

Exactly what I thought and when I look around the league and ask myself about Owen, other than the top four, I think of......

......Villa!

The funny part here is what i just read some Newcastle fans discuss. Apparantly he has a £ 9 Mill release clause in his contract. One of them even implied that that it had been confirmed.

How the hell can you sign a player for £ 17 Mill and give him a £ 9 Mill release clause?

No wonder you aint finding Owen in a hurry to dismiss these reports. And absolutely no wonder Sheppard is so flippin mad about this.

......Villa!

The funny part here is what i just read some Newcastle fans discuss. Apparantly he has a £ 9 Mill release clause in his contract. One of them even implied that that it had been confirmed.

How the hell can you sign a player for £ 17 Mill and give him a £ 9 Mill release clause?

No wonder you aint finding Owen in a hurry to dismiss these reports. And absolutely no wonder Sheppard is so flippin mad about the reports.

I thought the same but then remembered it was Newcastle.

......Villa!

It was the only way to get him there. The plan was that he'd score that many goals in his first season that they'd get into the Champs League. By that point they'd hope he'd have done so well, with the club in ahigh position and him loving the adulation that he'd wanna stay whoever came in for him. Because Fat freddie is thick

Ok.

Owen's agent spoke to the press about the release clause - an attempt to put Owen in the shop window and drum up some interest from buyers. Shepherd knows how upset the Newcastle fans would be if Owen waltzed off this summer after spending an age on the injured list, so he spoke out to let the fans know that the club wasn't the source of the story and wouldn't be a willing seller.

Steve, in your interpretation of events, if a club outside the top four had made an enquiry about Owen, what possible motivation could Shepherd have for making these comments? What would it achieve?

I'm not ruling out the possibility of Villa making a bid for Owen this summer (although I don't think it's very likely), but there's nothing in this story to support the idea that that might be the case.

Ok.

Owen's agent spoke to the press about the release clause - an attempt to put Owen in the shop window and drum up some interest from buyers. Shepherd knows how upset the Newcastle fans would be if Owen waltzed off this summer after spending an age on the injured list, so he spoke out to let the fans know that the club wasn't the source of the story and wouldn't be a willing seller.

Steve, in your interpretation of events, if a club outside the top four had made an enquiry about Owen, what possible motivation could Shepherd have for making these comments? What would it achieve?

I'm not ruling out the possibility of Villa making a bid for Owen this summer (although I don't think it's very likely), but there's nothing in this story to support the idea that that might be the case.

this was my understanding also, Shepherd is implying that Owens camp have released this and i guess he's trying to pressure the same camp into pledging alliegance to newcastle. Should this fail then i think he's trying to cover his back and paint Owen as looking for a move rather than other clubs trying to get him.

On a slightly honest note why would he leave for us. The clubs are similar, he's likely to be playing for one of the most respected managers in the game, Newcastles aims for next season are likely to be very similar to ours and im not sure that we would match his wages.......If only he could read the generals thread

We're going the other way and he might fancy a bit of it.

Villa are starting a wonderful journey under the stewardship of a great board and a great manager with plenty of resources, the finest training facilities in the land, a better location and a squad showing all the early signs of great potential.

Newcastle are stagnating, 80m in debt with a half a squad of crap players including no defenders of any quality at all and no manager, all under the stewardship of perhaps the biggest eejit in football history.

That said, Owens recovery is not so obvious at the moment. Who knows how much pace he's lost. He would have to be heavily evaluated and that probably wont happen before he's played several games for Newcastle (or more likely, England).

My first choices would still include Bent or Huntelaar.

If you mean Bent then I agree Mazrim. It all depends on his ego or whether the really big boys want him. We got Young because Boothroyd convinced him that he'd get his game here more than perhaps at Spurs. If the likes of ManUre want Bent (as is being rumoured) then if he thinks he'll play regularly then I can't see him saying no to them. Having said that, if they want Eto'o & Chelsea want Crespo back, there's not a whole lot out there for us to be afraid of as competition. Presuming of course we want him :D

Bent, Defoe, or even Owen (can't see this one, but you never know), would each be amazing signings. Just imagine our options upfront if we brought one of these players in. Carew, Agbonlahor, Moore, and ............... (fill in the blank with one of the three mentioned). Personally I'd prefer Bent, as he is a different sort of forward to the ones we already have, and I think he'd suit our team well. Although part of me thinks O'Neill may well go for Kamara (of West Brom), or someone that we haven't even mentioned. i think he'll have a few surprises up his sleeves.

Bent, Defoe, or even Owen (can't see this one, but you never know), would each be amazing signings. Just imagine our options upfront if we brought one of these players in. Carew, Agbonlahor, Moore, and ............... (fill in the blank with one of the three mentioned). Personally I'd prefer Bent, as he is a different sort of forward to the ones we already have, and I think he'd suit our team well. Although part of me thinks O'Neill may well go for Kamara (of West Brom), or someone that we haven't even mentioned. i think he'll have a few surprises up his sleeves.

Would NOT want Owen for 5m

Always injured.

His only attributes he ever had were finishing and pace.

He now has no pace, and tries to play like Rooney by dropping deep so people dont notice. As he has no technique this means he does nothing in the game as he cannot beat a man or pass a ball.

For someone who does contributes NOTHING but goals, he doesnt score EVERY CHANCE. He takes about 1 in 3. If you do nothing except score you need to be scoring 4/5 of every single sniff of goal ala Van Nistelrooy in his prime.

erm...what was the question?

oh yeah, NO to owen!

Bent yes please, but for no more than 8m+a few add ons like starting at a world cup game, if it takes more, fine we'll go else where thank you very much.