Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if I had know that the La Liga top scorer list was the definitive source for defining the top striker in europe then I would have said Van Nistelrooy wouldn't I?

Villa plays for a team with a more disciplined set up and have scored 16 goals less than Barca. The biggest clubs are queueing for Villa not eto'o. And again if the criteria is la liga scorers list, last year Villa was only one goal behind eto'o and eto'o was playing for the best team.

Yes, but THIS season, Villa isn't even Valencia's top scorer. Morientes has 19 goals in 36 games and Villa has 18 in 42.

There's no evidence whatsoever that Villa is even the best striker for Valencia (this season), let alone in the world.

If Man U get Hargreaves, how a punt for giggs.....we saw what Berger has done for us, Giggs is a step up from that and for a season or two would be excellent....not sure he'd leave man u though but you never know

That would be brilliant. But would never happen, especially with the form Giggs has been in this season.

He will finish his career at Manure.

no to zenden, not even for a squad player, we need better than that....our current midfielders should be squad players next season and I'm not convinced Zenden would get in that team.
zenden is a good player. not being in the first team at liverpool doesn't mean he is not and i think he'd have played plenty of games for us this season if he was in the squad.

i was mainly thinking, with europe obviously the ambition over the next couple of years, he has experience that the likes of mccann, gardner, davis, young, even barry, do not have. it is noticeable that a lot of players people mention have little or no european experience, e.g. sidwell, barton, reo-coker. having a few experienced heads like carew & petrov will be very useful, and zenden could be another one in that group.

And he is about 200 years old! Ok early 30's but still, no thanks.

Giggs has already stated he wants to finish his career at ManUre so very much out of the question

Well if I had know that the La Liga top scorer list was the definitive source for defining the top striker in europe then I would have said Van Nistelrooy wouldn't I?

Villa plays for a team with a more disciplined set up and have scored 16 goals less than Barca. The biggest clubs are queueing for Villa not eto'o. And again if the criteria is la liga scorers list, last year Villa was only one goal behind eto'o and eto'o was playing for the best team.

Yes, but THIS season, Villa isn't even Valencia's top scorer. Morientes has 19 goals in 36 games and Villa has 18 in 42.

There's no evidence whatsoever that Villa is even the best striker for Valencia (this season), let alone in the world.

Well Mourinho and me must be wrong then.

Yes if of course a strikers only contribution is to put the ball in the net. And again on that token, that means Eto'o has NEVER been Europes top striker. In fact on that basis Shevchenko has NEVER. It must mean that last year it was Luca Toni and at one point Kevin Phillips was better than Shearer.

So, at the risk of taking this horribly off-topic as it's dealing with players that certainly won't be linked with us any time soon, what exactly makes David Villa "Europe's best striker this season"? We've already established it's not done on goals scored.

For example, what does he offer Valencia that Drogba doesn't offer Chelsea or Totti offer Roma?

Maybe we need to look at it like this

if this is our strongest team where would you want improvements?

GK - Sorensen

LB - Bouma

CB - Mellberg

CB - Laursen

RB - Hughes

LM - Berger

LcM - Barry

RcM - Petrov

RM - Young

St - Carew

St - Agbonlahor

Personally i would say a new right back, a class winger like Ribery, a new striker to put pressure on carew and aggie, and a CM ball winner who can pass ala Makalele.

^^^

You've got to add a centre back to that list

Laursen won't hold out for the whole season, and without him with have shown frailties at the back.

A goalkeeper is another position we could look at improving, but if we improved the other areas significantly enough, I think Sorensen would be sufficient for next season.

So, at the risk of taking this horribly off-topic as it's dealing with players that certainly won't be linked with us any time soon, what exactly makes David Villa "Europe's best striker this season"? We've already established it's not done on goals scored.

For example, what does he offer Valencia that Drogba doesn't offer Chelsea or Totti offer Roma?

On the whole he's just a better player. Just like Little was better than Gray even though Gray got more goals.

Villa has a little bit of everything and in fact for me Totti is the closest comparison, and a fit firing on all cylinders Henry. This has drifted, that much we can agree on. The only reason I have brought Villa up is in response to the idea that Eto'o is unsignable because he is europes top striker. And based on demand, he isnt because the tops clubs have largely ignored him even after his very public issues at Barca. If the tops clubs arent an option for him then we could be. i dont think we'd ever have more than a 10% chance, I just disagree with the idea that we have 0% chance, given the circumstances AT THIS TIME. 0% chances are out there i agree. The Totti's the Kaka's, Ronaldinho's, Villa's and Adriano's. Just at this point in his career Eto'o is at a crossroads.

ok guys lets forget the talk of Villa and Eto'o, that is obviously just fantasy talk and won't be applicable for at least another 5 years.

let's get back on track...

personally i would love to see tommy sorenson stay at the club, not as first choice keeper obviously but he'd be an outstanding keeper to have as backup/rotation, far better than taylor. artur boruc is the name that's been banded about and while i personally don't know anything about him i obviously trust MONs judgment, has anybody mentioned craig gordon from hearts? he'd cost a fair bit but i think he'd really be worth it. here's a youtube vid of him

not sure about right backs but we definitely need to replace hughes, how about anderlechts vanden borre? he's only 20 so he'd need a few seasons to mature but i think he'd be a quality buy, apparently he's quite friendly with vincent kompany, another name i've seen banded about on here.

as far as centre midfield goes i think samir nasri would be a fantastic buy, i know he's already been mentioned so i don't need to say too much about him.

i think these are the kind of 'top class' players richard fitzgerald is on about, relatively young players that while inexperienced show enough potential to make them worthwhile buys. it wouldn't surprise me if MON bought a lot of young players in the summer and built a team of 'kids' (ala fergie in '99), much like wenger appears to be doing now.

that's my two cents