A.Young------Snjeider-----Barry---------Nasri

----------------Bent------Agbonlahor------------

subs:

Maloney

Carew

Mellberg

Petrov

Sorenson

Sorry, but that is terrible. I'd surely be asking questions if that was the squad.

what like: how did we manage to pull off such a coup of signing two of europe's hottest properties (nasri and sneijder)?

i'd question whether a midfield with 3 very attacking players + barry would work and i think we could get better than l.young, but otherwise that would be a fantastic team. if you think that is terrible, you'll probably be hugely disappointed whatever we get next season.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

--------------------Boruc------------------------

L.young-------Laursen-----Distin---------Bouma

A.Young------Snjeider-----Barry---------Nasri

----------------Bent------Agbonlahor------------

subs:

Maloney

Carew

Mellberg

Petrov

Sorenson

If that was the quality of our bench we would have one hell of a team!! I'm sure Carew and Petrov are in MON's plans as first teamers but theres nothing like a bit of healthy competition to keep everyone on their toes. Dont rate Luke Young though, surely we can find better.

Who's Nasri?

.. i saw a predicted budget by The Times.

Spending power

How much money will the clubs that could play in next year’s Premiership have available to spend?

£50m plus Chelsea

£40m Manchester United, Aston Villa

£30m Sunderland, Liverpool, West Ham

£20m Arsenal, Newcastle, Manchester City (dependant on takeover)

£10-15m Derby, Tottenham, Everton, Wigan, Birmingham, Sheffield United, Blackburn, Bolton, Middlesbrough, Southampton, West Bromwich Albion, Wolverhampton

£5m Fulham, Portsmouth, Reading

This Times article is poorly researched and mostly rubbish. Apart from anything else, it doesn't even say whether or not the predicted figures relate to net spending (i.e. money spent after subtracting money received from player sales).

Let's take the case of W.Ham, for example. Sure they now have a wealthy owner, but they've already spent a load on new players in January in their desperate efforts to stay up, to say nothing of the huge wages they've committed themselves to in the case of several of their new signings. They've also just been fined 6m by the FA over the Tevez and Mascherano 'registrations'. And on top of that they'll receive something like 6m less than Spurs (for example) in league prize money due to their final finishing place (if they stay up).

Yet despite all this, and the despite the fact that Spurs have had a bumper income this season from all their cup runs (TV money, gate receipts etc.) and have a big wadge of cash saved up from their low net spending during the last 5 transfer windows, we're supposed to believe that W.Ham will spend perhaps three times as much as Spurs this summer (10m versus 30m) as we push for top 4 next season. It just doesn't add up.

Here's another example of why the article is largely nonsense in the article: It's very likely that Spurs will shortly (next couple of weeks) finalise a deal for Younes Kaboul (a French U-21 centre-back from Auxerre) for 7 - 7.5m. So that's possibly 70 - 75% of our summer budget gone already if you believe the times article.

Sunderland to spend 30m? I strongly doubt that.

Derby (Birmingham, W.Brom etc.) to spend 3 times the small amount that Portsmouth can supposedly only afford? Portsmouth now also have a wealthy owner, so it doesn't seem very likely.

I'm not saying that all the figures in the article are wide of the mark (from what I read on this board it seems that your wealthy new owner will spend big this summer, so maybe the 40m for Villa is correct - I wouldn't know), but a lot of the figures seem to me like they've plucked out of the air with very little substance to back them up..

Looks like someones cage has been rattled :crylaugh: , and there you go again talking as if this supposed "spending spree" you keep banging on about is a fact when it's speculation at best, who should people believe?, a Spurs fan who thinks the gossip of "people in the know" is 100 percent truth or a sports writer who's most likely had contact with the clubs he's written about?, that's a tough one :roll: , our board has come out and been brave by putting their necks on the line and told us we'll be spending big this summer!!, what's yours done?.

Spending power

How much money will the clubs that could play in next year’s Premiership have available to spend?

£50m plus Chelsea

£10-15m Derby, Tottenham, Everton, Wigan, Birmingham, Sheffield United, Blackburn, Bolton, Middlesbrough, Southampton, West Bromwich Albion, Wolverhampton

This Times article is poorly researched and mostly rubbish. Apart from anything else, it doesn't even say whether or not the predicted figures relate to net spending (i.e. money spent after subtracting money received from player sales).

Let's take the case of W.Ham, for example. Sure they now have a wealthy owner, but they've already spent a load on new players in January in their desperate efforts to stay up, to say nothing of the huge wages they've committed themselves to in the case of several of their new signings. They've also just been fined 6m by the FA over the Tevez and Mascherano 'registrations'. And on top of that they'll receive something like 6m less than Spurs (for example) in league prize money due to their final finishing place (if they stay up).

Yet despite all this, and the despite the fact that Spurs have had a bumper income this season from all their cup runs (TV money, gate receipts etc.) and have a big wadge of cash saved up from their low net spending during the last 5 transfer windows, we're supposed to believe that W.Ham will spend perhaps three times as much as Spurs this summer (10m versus 30m) as we push for top 4 next season. It just doesn't add up.

Here's another example of why the article is largely nonsense in the article: It's very likely that Spurs will shortly (next couple of weeks) finalise a deal for Younes Kaboul (a French U-21 centre-back from Auxerre) for 7 - 7.5m. So that's possibly 70 - 75% of our summer budget gone already if you believe the times article.

Derby (Birmingham, W.Brom etc.) to spend 3 times the small amount that Portsmouth can supposedly only afford? Portsmouth now also have a wealthy owner, so it doesn't seem very likely.

I'm not saying that all the figures in the article are wide of the mark (from what I read on this board it seems that your wealthy new owner will spend big this summer, so maybe the 40m for Villa is correct - I wouldn't know), but a lot of the figures seem to me like they've plucked out of the air with very little substance to back them up..

Yeah we get it dude, Spurs are great and you have tons of money to spend on players and you are certain to finish top 4 next season. We - here at the Aston Villa forum reading about Aston Villa and our transfer targets - know it can be frustrating to be mentioned as mediocre and simpletons in this newspaper, god knows how we felt when we were under Ellis; but do you realize that everything you say on here is pro Spurs and getting a little annoying? As you say, your owners are wealthy and you also say you never spend any money..... why would you spend significant sums now?

I think Spurs will sell players for roughly 10M and spend around 20M in return, which is 10M outbound cash. Not that I am an expert, but Spurs shouldn't be buying all sorts of players now that they have built a strong side. Perhaps 2 additions?

Snjeider and Eto'o? Its gone funny season on here!

i'd say Sneijder and Huntelaar are the elite of which we could attract tbh

very very ambitious yes, but they are hardly world class or in an elite league

look at Kezman for instance, who scored a hatful and then flopped at a major league, which could put off potential suitors, and look at Kuyt he nearly joined Newcastle and was quite a high profile player from the dutch league

and i'm sure Bouma would give them both glowing reports on the atmosphere etc of the club at the moment

but thats if a bigger club isn't already interested in them, which i'm sure there is

I quite like GlastonSpurs contributions and, though I sometimes don't agree with him, I think he always does his best to make intelligent, positve comments, which, frankly, is more than can be said for some of the Villans on here. I'm not sure that he has said anything wrong so let's not be hostile.

Spending power

£50m plus Chelsea

Portsmouth spent everything Gaydamak had to offer in the summer. They went for broke aiming for europe. Plus the new stadium is going to cost 600m. Theirs is accurate, though some could be questioned.

I quite like GlastonSpurs contributions and, though I sometimes don't agree with him, I think he always does his best to make intelligent, positve comments, which, frankly, is more than can be said for some of the Villans on here. I'm not sure that he has said anything wrong so let's not be hostile.

I agree. Myself and Glastonspur disagreed on something a few days ago (and probably still do!) yet he always tries to get his point across rather than point scoring.

Don't see why people keep putting sneijder as out of our league. He plays in the dutch league, just like bouma did, has less CL exp than Bouma had and whilst he has been sniffed around by a few clubs, they havent signed him have they? He'd come to us like a shot.

according to some dutch folk on another forum i frequent, ajax have turned down €15M for sneijder from valencia. and he's also turned down bayern.

depends what league he wants to go to, but you can't see him choosing us above valencia the way we compare at the minute.

Well you may be a fan of his but others simply don't hold the same opinion, and at the end of the day i've always held the impression that this is a VILLA forum to discuss VILLA issues first and foremost!!, other fans waxing lyrical about speculative funds is getting a tad tedious now.

Well you may be a fan of his but others simply don't hold the same opinion, and at the end of the day i've always held the impression that this is a VILLA forum to discuss VILLA issues first and foremost!!, other fans waxing lyrical about speculative funds is getting a tad tedious now.

Well done you for ignoring his posts then. :winkold: