Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

If we got Distin and Young, that would improve our backline greatly, and for a price of around 2 -3 million

it would mean that distin could cover both centre back and left back, and would give Cahill opportunities to progress and improve.

and then we would be able to pay more attention to maybe paying that bit more to get the better players in midfield and attack

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we got Distin and Young, that would improve our backline greatly, and for a price of around 2 -3 million

it would mean that distin could cover both centre back and left back, and would give Cahill opportunities to progress and improve.

and then we would be able to pay more attention to maybe paying that bit more to get the better players in midfield and attack

No doubt a bargain pair at £2-3m there Sam. Let's not stop there though, I think we will likely be looking at 2 RB's over the course of next season. Imo Hughes won't be an adequate replacement come injury time!

the only way we will sign SWP is if someone like Ricardo Queresma goes to Chelsea

if they don't sign a new right winger, then he'll still be there next season

They dont play right wingers. In fact they only use him when robben/cole/ballack is injured. If this was the case they wouldn't have accepted offers from two clubs in January.

Chances of persuading summer move?

He's been playing very well at Chelsea recently. I think they'll keep hold of him.

I'd be happy to see swp turn up at villa park, but wouldn't put him at the top of my wish list. However, he's 25, and he could definitely return to the form that had him in the england set up. Chelsea don't play to his strengths which to me is an expansive game using width and pace to stretch the opposition. I think he'd get in either of the arsenal or liverpool sides and do a lot better for either those sides than he currently does. Its just that at the minute that position isnt a priority for either of those sides, leaving the door open for us. Any of the other prem sides bar maybe spurs (because of Lennon) would love to sign him but many could not afford him.

I only think he's played well in two games (west ham/arsenal) and he's played plenty. If Mourinho stays he'll go. And the fact he's played more this year won't be an improvement because he only played due to injuries and still didnt look right in their system. He'll be available.

the only way we will sign SWP is if someone like Ricardo Queresma goes to Chelsea

They dont play right wingers. In fact they only use him when robben/cole/ballack is injured. If this was the case they wouldn't have accepted offers from two clubs in January.

they change there system, as they have done lately

and anyway if SWP was performing like he did before january we would have a chance to sign him

but he has been quality and has looked more chelsea standard, i don't see why they would sell their only right winger without a replacement

it would just make there system to predictable, as if cole/robben gets injured they won't have 2 wingers available.

SWP will also feel that he has done enough to deserve to stay at Chelsea, he was obviously reluctant to leave Chelsea in january, and now he's putting on good performances he will see no reason to why he should drop down a level and come to us.

they change there system, as they have done lately

and anyway if SWP was performing like he did before january we would have a chance to sign him

but he has been quality and has looked more chelsea standard, i don't see why they would sell their only right winger without a replacement

it would just make there system to predictable, as if cole/robben gets injured they won't have 2 wingers available.

SWP will also feel that he has done enough to deserve to stay at Chelsea, he was obviously reluctant to leave Chelsea in january, and now he's putting on good performances he will see no reason to why he should drop down a level and come to us.

He will if after feeling like he's played better they STILL accept offers for him. He hasn't played better, he's had two good games, and he's been playing cos they've been forced to play him. Fact is in a week where they score 1 goal in a two leg CL semi, and a period where they thrown away the league by being unable to score enough goals, SWP has to be considered weak as he is supposed to be one of the main attacking threats.

With people talking about the Owen to Manu thing if it did happen , what about us going for Saha

Thats true... though i'd prefer to get Owen than Saha.

and Man U will only go for Owen if they can't get their other top target (whoever that is).

So we might be in with a shout for Owen if we want him.

and at £9M, he's a real bargain in todays inflated prices.

With people talking about the Owen to Manu thing if it did happen , what about us going for Saha

Smith?

He would no way in hell buy Owen, he likes putting Ronaldo Striker now anyway.

He will if after feeling like he's played better they STILL accept offers for him. He hasn't played better, he's had two good games, and he's been playing cos they've been forced to play him. Fact is in a week where they score 1 goal in a two leg CL semi, and a period where they thrown away the league by being unable to score enough goals, SWP has to be considered weak as he is supposed to be one of the main attacking threats.

maybe, but i don't believe they will accept offers for him, as i say unless they bring in a replacement i.e Queresma

i agree he is one of their weaker players, but he is still a very good player who they won't get rid of without a replacement

and SWP won't leave unless it is made quite clear that he has no future, as he will see leaving to go to a mid table club as a failure

--------------------Boruc------------------------

L.young-------Laursen-----Distin---------Bouma

A.Young------Snjeider-----Barry---------Nasri

----------------Bent------Agbonlahor------------

subs:

Maloney

Carew

Mellberg

Petrov

Sorenson

.. i saw a predicted budget by The Times.

Spending power

How much money will the clubs that could play in next year’s Premiership have available to spend?

£50m plus Chelsea

£40m Manchester United, Aston Villa

£30m Sunderland, Liverpool, West Ham

£20m Arsenal, Newcastle, Manchester City (dependant on takeover)

£10-15m Derby, Tottenham, Everton, Wigan, Birmingham, Sheffield United, Blackburn, Bolton, Middlesbrough, Southampton, West Bromwich Albion, Wolverhampton

£5m Fulham, Portsmouth, Reading

This Times article is poorly researched and mostly rubbish. Apart from anything else, it doesn't even say whether or not the predicted figures relate to net spending (i.e. money spent after subtracting money received from player sales).

Let's take the case of W.Ham, for example. Sure they now have a wealthy owner, but they've already spent a load on new players in January in their desperate efforts to stay up, to say nothing of the huge wages they've committed themselves to in the case of several of their new signings. They've also just been fined 6m by the FA over the Tevez and Mascherano 'registrations'. And on top of that they'll receive something like 6m less than Spurs (for example) in league prize money due to their final finishing place (if they stay up).

Yet despite all this, and the despite the fact that Spurs have had a bumper income this season from all their cup runs (TV money, gate receipts etc.) and have a big wadge of cash saved up from their low net spending during the last 5 transfer windows, we're supposed to believe that W.Ham will spend perhaps three times as much as Spurs this summer (10m versus 30m) as we push for top 4 next season. It just doesn't add up.

Here's another example of why the article is largely nonsense in the article: It's very likely that Spurs will shortly (next couple of weeks) finalise a deal for Younes Kaboul (a French U-21 centre-back from Auxerre) for 7 - 7.5m. So that's possibly 70 - 75% of our summer budget gone already if you believe the times article.

Sunderland to spend 30m? I strongly doubt that.

Derby (Birmingham, W.Brom etc.) to spend 3 times the small amount that Portsmouth can supposedly only afford? Portsmouth now also have a wealthy owner, so it doesn't seem very likely.

I'm not saying that all the figures in the article are wide of the mark (from what I read on this board it seems that your wealthy new owner will spend big this summer, so maybe the 40m for Villa is correct - I wouldn't know), but a lot of the figures seem to me like they've plucked out of the air with very little substance to back them up..

subs:

Maloney

Carew

Mellberg

Petrov

Sorenson

Sorry, but that is terrible. I'd surely be asking questions if that was the squad.

.. i saw a predicted budget by The Times.

Spending power

How much money will the clubs that could play in next year’s Premiership have available to spend?

£50m plus Chelsea

£40m Manchester United, Aston Villa

£30m Sunderland, Liverpool, West Ham

£20m Arsenal, Newcastle, Manchester City (dependant on takeover)

£10-15m Derby, Tottenham, Everton, Wigan, Birmingham, Sheffield United, Blackburn, Bolton, Middlesbrough, Southampton, West Bromwich Albion, Wolverhampton

£5m Fulham, Portsmouth, Reading

This Times article is poorly researched and mostly rubbish. Apart from anything else, it doesn't even say whether or not the predicted figures relate to net spending (i.e. money spent after subtracting money received from player sales).

Let's take the case of W.Ham, for example. Sure they now have a wealthy owner, but they've already spent a load on new players in January in their desperate efforts to stay up, to say nothing of the huge wages they've committed themselves to in the case of several of their new signings. They've also just been fined 6m by the FA over the Tevez and Mascherano 'registrations'. And on top of that they'll receive something like 6m less than Spurs (for example) in league prize money due to their final finishing place (if they stay up).

Yet despite all this, and the despite the fact that Spurs have had a bumper income this season from all their cup runs (TV money, gate receipts etc.) and have a big wadge of cash saved up from their low net spending during the last 5 transfer windows, we're supposed to believe that W.Ham will spend perhaps three times as much as Spurs this summer (10m versus 30m) as we push for top 4 next season. It just doesn't add up.

Here's another example of why the article is largely nonsense in the article: It's very likely that Spurs will shortly (next couple of weeks) finalise a deal for Younes Kaboul (a French U-21 centre-back from Auxerre) for 7 - 7.5m. So that's possibly 70 - 75% of our summer budget gone already if you believe the times article.

Sunderland to spend 30m? I strongly doubt that.

Derby (Birmingham, W.Brom etc.) to spend 3 times the small amount that Portsmouth can supposedly only afford? Portsmouth now also have a wealthy owner, so it doesn't seem very likely.

I'm not saying that all the figures in the article are wide of the mark (from what I read on this board it seems that your wealthy new owner will spend big this summer, so maybe the 40m for Villa is correct - I wouldn't know), but a lot of the figures seem to me like they've plucked out of the air with very little substance to back them up..

:offtopic: I do believe.....? :winkold:

[ Portsmouth now also have a wealthy owner, so it doesn't seem very likely.

This is the wealthy owner who spent £5.5 million in the summer? I have serious reservations that this guy is as rich as people make out.

He is building them a new stadium though, £600m for the whole development!

clicky

subs:

Maloney

Carew

Mellberg

Petrov

Sorenson

Sorry, but that is terrible. I'd surely be asking questions if that was the squad.

Why? Personally i feel that team is very good apart from possibly Luke Young but i'm not sure who else we could get.