Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

It would be fantastic to sign someone who really captures the imagination. A real bums in seats signing. Ribery, Nasri, Quaresma etc.

Didnt think that was MON's style? Looking back over the players he has signed at previous clubs, with a lot less money at hand ofc, it seems he prefers solid, hard working, team players above those tricky "jesus what was that" signings.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be fantastic to sign someone who really captures the imagination. A real bums in seats signing. Ribery, Nasri, Quaresma etc.

Didnt think that was MON's style? Looking back over the players he has signed at previous clubs, with a lot less money at hand ofc, it seems he prefers solid, hard working, team players above those tricky "jesus what was that" signings.

I agree - I was trying to make that point earlier - but failed :oops:

Everton can't afford Fernandes

i really really really hope we sign him up

yes 12 million is alot, but he is a champions league quality player of the future

he's only 21, if he stays for 4 - 5 years maybe longer he will be well worth the 12 million

as he is hardly a risk either having settled at both Everton and Pompey

But he's never had this level of expectation from such an ambitious board before.

I would echo the sentiments on Fernandes - he's class.

Everton can't afford Fernandes

i really really really hope we sign him up

yes 12 million is alot, but he is a champions league quality player of the future

he's only 21, if he stays for 4 - 5 years maybe longer he will be well worth the 12 million

as he is hardly a risk either having settled at both Everton and Pompey

I agree Sam, it's been in the paper this morning that they can't afford to pay 12m for him, he's said that he want's to stay in England and i hope Mon has looked at him, i personally think the price we paid for Young would get him.

That may be because he has never had the opportunity to attract them like he has now though.

Fernandes was one I was going to suggest. So good thinking to whoever first mentioned him.

I don't think Everton would be on the run that they are if it weren't for him (and Arteta, obviously), he'll be a superb player in a few years.

Agree to an extent but he was never gonna buy 'that' type of player at Leicester or Wycombe, and he certainly wouldn't have signed one to play in the blood and thunder of the spl. And aside from that is in often an assumption that a flair player wouldn't graft. Granted there are alot of example of those who shy away from the workload, but Ribery and Nasri are both players who work very hard, who also happen to be very technically gifted as well. Can't say the same for Quaresma cos he does fit the stereotype!

not saying we will sign them, just that I dont think MON previous tranfer dealings would rule it out.

You say that but look at Young and Maloney. They're pretty similar to those mentioned ie tricky, pacey, skilful. But they're British and therefore have the "work ethic" on the field almost built into them, if you know what I mean.

I think I trust MON almost entirely when it comes to signings and it's good to see him taking in games abroad. I imagine his scouts are seeing ten times the games he sees that we don't know about.

dont think we'll get SWP, had a good finish to the season at Chelsea and already turned us down once. He'll stay and fight for his place.

The only reason he played he played so much this year is because of the long term injuries to the likes of Robben and Cole over the course of the season. And I don't think he has had a 'good' finish, I would say he was a game winner against west ham and a decent cross against arsenal for the goal. Thos incidents tell me he still got it in his locker to do a very good job at villa but in the weeks where Chelsea have managed to get only one goal in two games against liverpool, and basically gave the title away due to an inability to score enough goals and kill teams off, it hink the writing is on the wall for many of the chelsea forward players. If he stays another year stating a desire to 'fight for his place' (which will be a third season fighting for it) then to me he is just plain daft. DJx2 could 'stay at villa and fight for my place' but actually securing it is never gonna happen. SWP thanks to the injuries to others had enough opportunity to prove his worth this year and has not cemented his name on the team sheet. If he doesn't move to someone this summer, I'll eat my arm.

We have better players than SWP already. He's never going to do what he did at Man City again, he has a couple of decent seasons left in him, and then it'll be downhill. We should be looking to the future (as we are with Young), rather than going for stop-gaps.

Well Wenger has always said that the best part of a players career is between 28-32 years. SWP is what, 26 years? Not exactly a stop gap signing.

Well Wenger has always said that the best part of a players career is between 28-32 years. SWP is what, 26 years? Not exactly a stop gap signing.

That is as may be for a centre half or an agressive central midfielder.

If you're a small, speedy winger who relies almost entirely on your pace, the older you get, the slower you get.

And the slower you get (in SWP's case) the more ineffective you get. Do you think that SWP at age 32 will be nipping in and out as quickly as he can at the moment?

Why would we need SWP anyway? Where would he play?

on the right

allowing Young to play in his favoured position on the left

btw Milner has said today that he would love to win a trophy with Newcastle etc, so that one is probably out of the window

btw Milner has said today that he would love to win a trophy with Newcastle etc, so that one is probably out of the window

If we put in a bid that was accepted, he would be on the first train out of Scotland before you could blink.

Players say stuff for the benefit of the fans all the time.

I'd be happy to see swp turn up at villa park, but wouldn't put him at the top of my wish list. However, he's 25, and he could definitely return to the form that had him in the england set up. Chelsea don't play to his strengths which to me is an expansive game using width and pace to stretch the opposition. I think he'd get in either of the arsenal or liverpool sides and do a lot better for either those sides than he currently does. Its just that at the minute that position isnt a priority for either of those sides, leaving the door open for us. Any of the other prem sides bar maybe spurs (because of Lennon) would love to sign him but many could not afford him.