Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

Liam Rosenior is far more of a talent in my opinion, and he's been fairly consistent this season - whadaya think?

Great suggestion, think he has done well this season. Wouldn´t mind him as our RB, a step in right direction IMO.

Agreed. Good young player, lot of potential.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets through this name into the pot...

Samuel E'to.

Well for someone who rates himself more than the whole Barca side and basically just ignores his manager we have jsut got rid of one of them in Baros.

He will also want Champs league footy as bangs on about it all the time and as we cannot offer that now....

No chance.

By behaving the way he has recently he has talked himself out of Barcelona, and whilst he would preferabbly play for the top clubs, I'm not too sure they're interested. I think this summer could see him humbled when the clubs he facncies turn their back on him, at which point the Villa would be crazy not to have a punt. Chelsea when they first got Zola, Vialli, Desailly et al. Before the rusky revolution, just when Harding had come in and Chelsea had money to spend for the first time. Thats the position we're in now.

Transfer speculation: Luke Young to Aston Villa (£2m)

Colin Illingworth

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Colin is a sub-editor on a regional newspaper and is a die-hard Aberdeen fan. He's prepared to sell his soul to the Devil for the Dons to return to their former glory so Satan, if you're reading this, give him a call!...

[full biography]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

09/05/2007 09:26:23.

The former Spurs defender has won rave reviews for his effortless displays and it’s unlikely that there will be a shortage of suitors wanting his signature"

speculation 'facts'

Player: Luke Young

To: Aston Villa

Cost: £2m

Source: Express and Star (03.05.07)

Likely?: 3/5

Charlton’s 2-0 home defeat against Tottenham has consigned the Addicks to the Championship and the vultures are already circling above the club desperate to pick up the scraps. A bidding war is set to start over striker Darren Bent and it’s rumoured that Luke Young may also decide to move on.

The 27-year-old right-back has been faultless in the Charlton defence since he signed from Tottenham in 2001 and has been captain since 2005. His impressive displays have forced his way into the international set-up and that will be a crucial factor in whether he stays or leaves this summer. He is currently in his prime and with Gary Neville nearing the end of his career, Young needs to be playing top class football if he wants to add to his seven England caps.

Martin O’Neill has money to spend and has apparently set his sights on securing the services of Young. The former Spurs defender has won rave reviews for his effortless displays and it’s unlikely that there will be a shortage of suitors wanting his signature. Aston Villa is a massive club but it has hugely underperformed over the past 20 years or so. Martin O’Neill has been successful at every club he has been at and with new players arriving in the summer the fans will be confident of the good times returning. Every player dreams of winning silverware and Luke Young is no different. A move to the Midlands would boost his chances of that, especially with O’Neill’s cup record.

At £2 million, Young would be a bargain, but if other clubs come in for him that price tag would soon shoot up. Young hasn’t stated that he wants to leave the club as of yet but I think everyone would be surprised if he was still at the Valley come August. Villa have made their intentions clear but whether Young ends up at Villa Park is still anyone’s call

I heard the MON quote about Ribery frustrating him and I took it the opposite way to the rest of you. I think Ribery frustrates him because he LIKES him, but thinks there is sooooo much more to come from him. So with that in mind?

And plus every french player does not automatically go to Arsenal, particularly as the wide positions, where Wenger prefers to play his flair players are oversubscribed.

Ribery is exactly the sort of player we should go for. He not in the 'out of our league' catorgorie like the Ronaldinho's and Gerrards, not yet at a top club, but pontentially good enough to get there. With the right circumstances, ie the top CL clubs having other irons in the fire, we could very well entice him.

Read a few questions earlier in the thread so I pulled this off the BBC website.

After midnight on 31 January, Premiership and SPL clubs cannot sign any players, on loan or full transfers, until one minute past midnight on 1 July. This window will stay open until midnight on 31 August.

This actually only means he starts being employed by Aston Villa Football Club, and his new contract starts, at this time. I remember the Berger deal actually being announced early-mid June and he then officially became a Villa player at 1 past midnight 1st July.

Samuel E'to.

Best striker in europe at a mid table premiership side? :roll: it really is silly season

Far from best striker in Europe this season, and with his behaviour his reputation has suffered. Again remember the Zola move to Chelsea.

Samuel E'to.

Best striker in europe at a mid table premiership side? :roll: it really is silly season

Far from best striker in Europe this season, and with his behaviour his reputation has suffered. Again remember the Zola move to Chelsea.

Yes he is the best striker in europe and you comparing Zola to Etto is not valid as Zola was coming towards the end of his career when he moved to Chelsea and managed to keep himself fit enough to stay longer than anyone expected, Etto is at his prime and to be honest i can't see him leaving Barca anyway, it's been proved this season that when Barca are without him they are not the same threat.

On February 25, 2007, Eto'o scored the third goal in the 3-0 win against Athletic Bilbao; this was his first start since recovering.

Eto'os agents have recently been spotted by a local spanish newspaper talking to officials from Liverpool F.C.. Eto'o has said "It is my dream to play for the Liverpool. They are always in the Champions League finals, and my sincere desire is to win the trophy again".

Source wikipedia

Well if I had know that the La Liga top scorer list was the definitive source for defining the top striker in europe then I would have said Van Nistelrooy wouldn't I?

Villa plays for a team with a more disciplined set up and have scored 16 goals less than Barca. The biggest clubs are queueing for Villa not eto'o. And again if the criteria is la liga scorers list, last year Villa was only one goal behind eto'o and eto'o was playing for the best team.

Before this goes too far, I'm not saying we're gonna sign Eto'o, what I am saying is that sometimes circumstances work in favour of a club and you can pull off a surprise. We all know the Tevez was a mad one but which ever way you look at it, and for whatever reason, it happened and a previously poor side picked up a world class player. I'm just saying never rule it out. I expect a defoe, or a bent and I'll be delighted with either, but if Eto'o came on the market, and the top clubs say 'no thanks we want villa', or 'no thanks, we've got Henry' should AVFC say 'lets give it a go'

couple of ideas:

zenden - as a squad player, rather than necessarily a 1st team signing. his contract is up with liverpool and they may well not keep him - depending on who they get in - so he'd be a very experienced, reliable player to get on a free.

pizarro - long shot, but he's almost certainly leaving bayern (again, contract is finishing this summer). linked with spanish & portugese clubs, but if he fancied england, he would be a very high quality signing. a bit more realistic than eto'o, if nothing else!

no to zenden, not even for a squad player, we need better than that....our current midfielders should be squad players next season and I'm not convinced Zenden would get in that team.

If Man U get Hargreaves, how a punt for giggs.....we saw what Berger has done for us, Giggs is a step up from that and for a season or two would be excellent....not sure he'd leave man u though but you never know