Nicklas Helenius

bickster

I Was Looking Forward To Playing Alongside Benteke

Goal-scoring new boy Nicklas Helenius takes no pleasure from Christian Benteke’s desire to leave Aston Villa , even though it could improve his own prospects at the club.

Helenius has scored two goals in his first three games for the claret and blues and is the first player to talk about Benteke lodging a transfer request.

The Danish international striker, who found the net against VfL Bochum in Sunday’s 1-1 draw, was looking forward to learning from the Belgian hitman.

“We have not been given much information about why he is not joining us for pre-season, but apparently he has put in a transfer request,” said Helenius, who also scored on his debut against SV Rodinghausen .

“It is down to the club and player how they want to handle the situation.

"It is not something that I take much joy from even though it improves my chances.

“We need the strongest possible squad for the upcoming season and I was looking forward to being in the same side as Christian Benteke.

“In that respect it is sad what is happening around Benteke as he was definitely one of the players that I was looking forward to observing and learning from.”

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/looking-forward-playing-alongside-christian-5101103

I think he'll be a success here, seems to be another good find from Lambert and our scouting system

Coming out and saying its about what the squad needs next season, not about himself getting more game time, makes me even more happy with the personalities of these players that Lambert is signing.

Getting them in early to get into the squad for the entire pre-season should really help come the start of the campaign.

• Like 3

If Benteke does go which is looking more and more likely now do you think we'll stick with Helenius or go out and purchase another striker? Has there been any names mentioned over the weekend?

If Benteke does go which is looking more and more likely now do you think we'll stick with Helenius or go out and purchase another striker? Has there been any names mentioned over the weekend?

The main name mentioned is Finnbogason I think, we need at least two 'main' strikers anyway. Two that are able to play in the spearhead role.

The main name mentioned is Finnbogason I think, we need at least two 'main' strikers anyway. Two that are able to play in the spearhead role.

Just checked him out his record looks decent. liking this scandinavian Northern European link

I really don't think its a good idea putting the pressure on Helenius of making him main target in his first season.

He is a 2million prospect signing.. not a guy who should carry a Premier League side right away.

Its all so new and big to him, he is a from a small city in Jutland, Denmark
If you don't get another striker and Helenius doesn't score the first 3-4 matches.. it might completely destroy his confidence

Edited by P3nnyw1se

We HAVE to replace him, its that simple. Helenius will never cope with the pressure, although I genuinely believe he'll do better than expected alongside someone who is a more natural targetman.

I really don't think its a good idea putting the pressure on Helenius of making him main target in his first season.

He is a 2million prospect signing.. not a guy who should carry a Premier League side right away.

Its all so new and big to him, he is a from a small city in Jutland, Denmark

If you don't get another striker and Helenius doesn't score the first 3-4 matches.. it might completely destroy his confidence

In our system we play with 3 strikers, 2 out wide and a target man through the middle. I think Lambert will want at least 2 target men (Helenius and one other), so he will need a replacement if Benteke goes.

If we relied on Helenius and he got injured, we would have nobody to put up top apart from maybe Jordan Bowery.

I'm sorry I'm not that much into your squad.. but I noticed nobody is mentioning Darren Bent..

maybe its a silly question but isn't he your targetman? or is he one of the guys playing out wide.

Darren Bent is the target man for the development squad.

As for Helenius not being a target man, I think he will be bulking up for the role, he has been playing there in Germany and he got 2 goals in 3 games.

Edited by samjp26

I'm sorry I'm not that much into your squad.. but I noticed nobody is mentioning Darren Bent..

maybe its a silly question but isn't he your targetman? or is he one of the guys playing out wide.

Bent likes to play on the shoulder of the last defender making runs onto balls over the top and crosses into the space behind the defence.

He can't really be a 'target man' as he doesn't hold the ball up with his back to goal or win headers when the ball is played up and Lambert likes to have a striker who can do that role.

When Helenius was signed he said that Lambert told him he would be playing behind a target man or as a wide forward.

He was not brought in as a target man. He is not strong enough for it anyway.

Actually I think a  lot of people are thinking too little of his physics.

He is big.. and he knows how to use his arms.. in the danish league (which of course is a lesser league)

He still had to pass players like Jores Okore(who is a beast by the way) on a daily basis.. and Helenius played alone on top.

One of his abilities was getting past 2-3 defenders and creating chances out of nothing.

• Like 1

When Helenius was signed he said that Lambert told him he would be playing behind a target man or as a wide forward.

He was not brought in as a target man. He is not strong enough for it anyway.

Actually I think a lot of people are thinking too little of his physics.

He is big.. and he knows how to use his arms.. in the danish league (which of course is a lesser league)

He still had to pass players like Jores Okore(who is a beast by the way) on a daily basis.. and Helenius played alone on top.

One of his abilities was getting past 2-3 defenders and creating chances out of nothing.

Not to mention that we won't need him to win as many aerial battles as Benteke, if we buy a Number 10 playmaker/attacking midfielder to link our play together.

• Like 1

I'd be expecting another relegation scrap if we don't replace CB with an equally exceptional goal getter that's for sure. Nobody knows how Helenius will pan out, but i wouldn't want to go into a season with just Weimann, Gabby and Helenius as our attacking threat

Hopefully we aren't that stupid. Even though it wouldn't surprise me one bit if we were

Edited by Ulver

The only reason we got him cheap was due to his contract, if AAB had him under a longer contract, they'd have been asking for a lot more.

Not to mention we are close to bankrupcy.. we had to sell him.. and he wanted to be sold..

thats not exactly holding the 'long end of the rope'

The only reason we got him cheap was due to his contract, if AAB had him under a longer contract, they'd have been asking for a lot more.

Not to mention we are close to bankrupcy.. we had to sell him.. and he wanted to be sold..

Sorry to hear that, pretty sure you'd have been looking for around 5 to 6million had you been under those conditions.

Sorry to hear that, pretty sure you'd have been looking for around 5 to 6million had you been under those conditions.

I honestly believe that Cornelius was too expensive and Helenius way too cheap.. they should have both been around 4-5mill.

Â