Nicklas Helenius

bickster

I don't think it's lazy 'heightism' to compare him to Crouch and I don't see that as an insult. Considering their height, they're not great in the air but have deceptively good feet. My first impression to the comparison is that Helenius has a little more vision than Crouch. I hope Helenius is as difficult to play against but has greater end product.

I wonder how much game time this season  he will get now Benteke is here to stay? I guess he will start as a impact sub and see how he gets along. For 1.5mil is a safe bet. If he doesnt make it, it is not going to cost the club anything. I mean we paid £4 million for Marlon Harewood about 5 years ago!

Helenius as a False-9 in a 4-2-3-1 - which we played frequently last year. (edit: actually Helenius would have to take up Benteke's position to play the false 9 role. here I have him playing #10).

home.png
Benteke
home.png
Weimann
home.png
Helenius
home.png
Agbonlahor
home.png
Westwood
home.png
Delph
home.png
Luna
home.png
Vlaar
home.png
Okore
home.png
Lowton
keeper.png
Guzan

3-3-3-1
home.png
Benteke
home.png
Weimann
home.png
Helenius
home.png
Agbonlahor
home.png
Westwood
home.png
Luna

home.png
Clark

home.png
Lowton
home.png
Vlaar
home.png

home.png
Okore
keeper.png
Guzan

Edited by Con

that 3-3-3-1 would get annihilated, if we play 3 at the back we will almost certainly play a 5-3-2 with two wing backs to provide width, with Helenius or Weimann partnering Benteke, which is pretty mouth watering. 

Excited about this guy, would love to see him upfront with Benteke, but I can't think of a formation which would accommodate that and play to our other strengths around the park

That's Clark stepping into midfield from 3rd CB. The false-9 is like the opposite, steps into midfield from striker. The transition areas between midfield and attack and defence and midfield are very important, Helenius is one of those transition players, Clark is another.

Just remember to give him time to develop and build some muscles on - and allow for him to fail and play a few bad games :) Despite that he seems to blend in well, we have yet to see him against PL-opposition. That being said, i think it looks promising, in my eyes he has shown that he has the potential to succed and Lambert has an idea about how he wants him to play. Hopefuelly Helenius will be able to make an impact already this season for you.

That's Clark stepping into midfield from 3rd CB. The false-9 is like the opposite, steps into midfield from striker. The transition areas between midfield and attack and defence and midfield are very important, Helenius is one of those transition players, Clark is another.

Given the season we had last year I think we need a dedicated midfield of 3 with delph westy and sylla as the defensive model, exchange one or two with bacuna / tonev / el hamadhi or even helenius for a more offensive approach perhaps clark as the extra defensive option.

A dedicated attack with gabby, benteke and weimann plan 'a' with possibly bowry / helenuis as a back up or last throw of the dice. 

Given the season we had last year I think we need a dedicated midfield of 3 with delph westy and sylla as the defensive model, exchange one or two with bacuna / tonev / el hamadhi or even helenius for a more offensive approach perhaps clark as the extra defensive option.

A dedicated attack with gabby, benteke and weimann plan 'a' with possibly bowry / helenuis as a back up or last throw of the dice. 

I actually say Tonev might have a good competetion with Gabby and Weimann ..

Weimann could go to the middle though ..

Helenius as a False-9 in a 4-2-3-1 - which we played frequently last year. 

home.png
Benteke
home.png
Weimann
home.png
Helenius
home.png
Agbonlahor
home.png
Westwood
home.png
Delph
home.png
Luna
home.png
Vlaar
home.png
Okore
home.png
Lowton
keeper.png
Guzan

3-3-3-1
home.png
Benteke
home.png
Weimann
home.png
Helenius
home.png
Agbonlahor
home.png
Westwood
home.png
Luna

home.png
Clark

home.png
Lowton
home.png
Vlaar
home.png

home.png
Okore
keeper.png
Guzan

That's not what a false nine is though, a false nine isn't a guy playing behind the striker, a false nine is, well I'm having trouble explaining it so this link does a better job than I could.

http://www.fifahub.com/index.php?/topic/872-what-is-a-false-9-basic-concepts-explained/

Edit: Yes that's about a video game but same concept

Edited by Rovers13

:lol: In my 30+ years of watching and playing football I've never come across the term "false 9". I guess it's a modern thing comin' from some fans trying to be clever. :)

I haven't seen much of our pre season games, but from the glimpses I've seen Helenius has looked rather good. But he needs to be blooded in carefully in the beginning as playing in the PL is quite different to playing friendly games against lower opposition. But I think and hope he can adapt to the pace and toughness of the game. He looks like he can do the unpredictable and that's always needed.

• Like 3

The whole 'false 9' thing came about from Barcelona playing 6 midfielders and no forwards. The midfielder furthest forward at the point of the attack was playing the number 9 position but was referred to as a false 9 because they were dropping back and playing in the midfield to keep possession.

I don't think it had much relevance for us.

Yeah. False nine is a term for a LONE striker who drops deep into midfield. The whole point of it is to feed midfielders who make runs beyond the "striker".

If Helenius plays behind, and therefore feeds, Benteke, he's not a false 9. He's just a traditional deep lying striker.

yeah, false 9 means no recognised striker, no fixed focal point striker coz the man wearing the number 9 is playing as a midfielder just like the other 4/5 midfielders he's playing with.

helenius cannot be a false 9 when we have the huge Christian Benteke playing up top as the focal point of the front line, no matter where he plays.

The false or deep lying number 9 goes back further than Barcelona. In the Fifties Hungary were playing that system when they murdered England at Wembley. Nandor Hidegcuti was their deep lying number 9 and England didn't have a clue how to deal with it. Manchester City borrowed the idea and used Don Revie in the role to win the F.A.Cup.

My favourite quote from the Hungary era was when the teams came out at Wembley and one of the England players said,

"Look at that little fat bloke. We'll murder this lot. "

The "little fat bloke" was Ferenc Puskas. Result 6-3 to Hungary.

• Like 2

Â