Premier League Fixtures 2013/14:Who will lambos lions get 1st game?

Demitri_C

Personally I would prefer the toughest games at the start.

We had easy games at the start last season and lost them anyway. We then went on to lose spectacularly during our tough Christmas run.

Southampton had a similar tough start last season and even managed to get 0 from their first 3 games from memory but turned it around and went on a run after that.

The start of the season is the best time to make mistakes. The manager can make changes and the team will immediately have belief again with time to improve results.

It is possible. Collymore's first season we lost first 4 and got into Europe I think. At the time we seemed to be a real half/half team. Top of the league at Xmas one year and then did not even make Europe.

Mantis you say yourself we wouldn't be expected to win those fixtures. So I'm not sure where the disagreement is. All Woody is saying is that they are tough fixtures and that they could have been easier.

Alright then, imagine we get 2 wins and a draw from those first 3 fixtures or even win them all. We'd then be on 7 or 9 points after just 3 games. What's to say we couldn't push on and compete for a Champions League spot?

You say that as though people on here will not actually think that is possible  :)

As for your point though, Going on recent times, it is more likely that should Villa lose all 3 they will struggle, than it is they will push on should they win all 3.

What I am saying is kicking on for Champs League is unrealistic (as you rightly point out), whilst struggling down the bottom - really isnt.

Mantis you say yourself we wouldn't be expected to win those fixtures. So I'm not sure where the disagreement is. All Woody is saying is that they are tough fixtures and that they could have been easier.

I agree with that completely, what I disagree with is this idea that if we lose those first 3 fixtures (and it's entirely possible) then we'll struggle to improve on last season.

Playing the tough teams throughout the year can stop you in your tracks, and can effect your confidence when you're hoping to get into a run of good form.

Get them out of the way while teams are still building in the tranfer window/ gelling together, and whilst the season can be a bit of a lottery.

I think problems can arise by 'being down there' early on because the pressure quickly ramps up on our young side to get out of the situation asap. There are intangible elements to being in a particular position in the league. If you get off to a good start for example, you can sometimes see the players playing with a freedom and a spring in their step that you mightn't see after a bad start. In that sense I think a tough start can have some effect on a season even if I would stop short of saying it could ruin one.

Forget the fixture list. Have we got enough good players ?  - that will have more bearing on our season than the order in which the teams come.

Plenty :thumb:

I agree with that completely, what I disagree with is this idea that if we lose those first 3 fixtures (and it's entirely possible) then we'll struggle to improve on last season.

That is not what I said though. That suggests that should we lose all 3, i believe we won't improve. That is simply not true.

However, to make big strides from last season (which imo, would be a stress free season in terms of relegation threat), it will become much more difficult after a bad start.

Playing the tough teams throughout the year can stop you in your tracks, and can effect your confidence when you're hoping to get into a run of good form.

Get them out of the way while teams are still building in the tranfer window/ gelling together, and whilst the season can be a bit of a lottery.

The idea that we get the "tough teams" "out of the way" at the start of the season is a bit far fetched when you look at that fixture list:

September, Man C

October, Spurs, Everton

January, Arsenal, Liverpool

February, Everton

March, Man C,Chelsea, Man U

May, Spurs 

It goes on throughout the season as you might expect, and I didn't even bother to throw in the Swanseas, West Broms, and West hams who can be expected to be difficult opposition, and a couple of unexpected improvers.

I don't think last season can be underestimated. In a way I'm almost glad we had that horrible run over Christmas and new year because it made us stronger. The players and the management will know that we can turn things around even if we do badly in our first 3 games.

That is not what I said though. That suggests that should we lose all 3, i believe we won't improve. That is simply not true.

However, to make big strides from last season (which imo, would be a stress free season in terms of relegation threat), it will become much more difficult after a bad start.

I don't think it'll be that difficult. As long as we keep up our form from last season against the teams below the top 7 then we'll be absolutely fine.

Edited by Mantis

In my opinion it's a great opportunity & the players should see it as such... IF we could get a few points on the board from the 1st 3 fixtures that will really set us up nicely for the rest of the season.

It's tough for sure but what an opportunity!

Not what we wanted. For me a good start is imperative and that has made a good start very very tough indeed.

My fear is a total drubbing at the emirates. If Wenger spends his reported £50-£60m and buys in some real quality we could be in trouble. I think Arsenal will have a big season

like he spent last season?

The idea that we get the "tough teams" "out of the way" at the start of the season is a bit far fetched when you look at that fixture list:

September, Man C

October, Spurs, Everton

January, Arsenal, Liverpool

February, Everton

March, Man C,Chelsea, Man U

May, Spurs

It goes on throughout the season as you might expect, and I didn't even bother to throw in the Swanseas, West Broms, and West hams who can be expected to be difficult opposition, and a couple of unexpected improvers.

I understand that, but still, having Liverpool and Arsenal together (Chelski game will be moved) will still avoid having those two games in amongst 'easier' fixtures.

Â