Premier League Fixtures 2013/14:Who will lambos lions get 1st game?

Demitri_C

Not what we wanted. For me a good start is imperative and that has made a good start very very tough indeed.

My fear is a total drubbing at the emirates. If Wenger spends his reported £50-£60m and buys in some real quality we could be in trouble. I think Arsenal will have a big season

My fear is total drubbings in all 3 games.

We have made signings but on paper (as we do not really know anything about the signings) our squad looks no stronger in terms of ability.

There is always the chance that we hit the ground running with the fresh faces, but the odds will point to 3 defeats and that will set up another long hard season imo.

I fail to see how our squad looks no stronger in terms of ability? Most of the new signings won't be starting straight away (although I think Okore will be a great addition to the defence) they still improve our squad as a whole. I'd rather have the likes of Bacuna, Tonev and Helenius in the squad than Bannan, Ireland and Bent.

• Like 1

Not what we wanted. For me a good start is imperative and that has made a good start very very tough indeed.

My fear is a total drubbing at the emirates. If Wenger spends his reported £50-£60m and buys in some real quality we could be in trouble. I think Arsenal will have a big season

We have made signings but on paper (as we do not really know anything about the signings) our squad looks no stronger in terms of ability.

There is always the chance that we hit the ground running with the fresh faces, but the odds will point to 3 defeats and that will set up another long hard season imo.

I fail to see how our squad looks no stronger in terms of ability? Most of the new signings won't be starting straight away (although I think Okore will be a great addition to the defence) they still improve our squad as a whole. I'd rather have the likes of Bacuna, Tonev and Helenius in the squad than Bannan, Ireland and Bent.

Why would you rather have them? Because you are certain that they are better players technically or because the 3 you don't want are over rated and over paid?

You said it yourself - Many will not go to straight to the team so the line-up will not change that dramatically. On paper, the line-up will struggle to pick up any points at the start and that will make it a tough season. That is all I am suggesting.

Why would you rather have them? Because you are certain that they are better players technically or because the 3 you don't want are over rated and over paid?

You said it yourself - Many will not go to straight to the team so the line-up will not change that dramatically. On paper, the line-up will struggle to pick up any points at the start and that will make it a tough season. That is all I am suggesting.

They look like better players from the limited amount that I've seen of them but more importantly they'll be a lot more eager to fight for the shirt than those players were, Ireland especially.

We'd always struggle to pick up points with those kinds of fixtures, that doesn't necessarily mean it will be a really tough season though.

Oh get a room, you two.

We'll have a great start to the season if we win those games, and it's not impossible. Winning games IS what we're trying to do here y'know.

Aston Villa are trying to win games so I can not say that we will struggle to pick up points against 3 of the leagues top sides? Will my opinion be the reason we do not win the games, or do you think it will have zero effect?

You are right we will have a great start to the season if we win those games - that doesn't mean I think we will or that I must state on here that I think we will, because I don't tbh.

I'm with Woody here. It is far from ideal to have such a strong opening set of fixtures because we could* find ourselves with zero points after 3 games if it went to form and then all of a sudden those lads are once again looking up the table. I don't need to be told that it would be great if we got wins from it. I know that. But these fixtures are more likely to yield 1 or 0 points than if we had opened with a few Fulhams or Stokes. I just don't want to risk these guys having a set back in their confidence. With Lambert though you can be sure of one thing. We'll go for the throat in all 3 games and it'll be very interesting to see how we match up. I'm hugely looking forward to it and it is intriguing. I just wish the fixture gods had been kinder to us in August, that's all.

* I'm not saying we will, but we could.

We'd always struggle to pick up points with those kinds of fixtures, that doesn't necessarily mean it will be a really tough season though.

True, but I am pointing more to the timing of the fixtures.

Young team (just endured a very tough season) - get off to a bad start, because lets face it, we can easily (through no fault of our own) be down the bottom after 3 games - I think that will be tough to recover from and really kick on from last season. Im not suggesting we will go down should we lose all 3, I am just suggesting that it will be very tough to really improve from last season.

The momentum built from the last few months (which many seem so eager to point out as an indication we are going to have a good season), could easily be damaged within  3 games. It could be added to of course, should we do well, but I think it is fair to say - we are more likely going to struggle in those games than succeed. 

Having Stoke, Palace, Swansea and Sunderland over Christmas/New Year is a refreshing change from the nightmare fixtures we usually have over that period. 

That is very refreshing actually. Do we ever actually do well over Xmas?

Aston Villa are trying to win games so I can not say that we will struggle to pick up points against 3 of the leagues top sides? Will my opinion be the reason we do not win the games, or do you think it will have zero effect?

You are right we will have a great start to the season if we win those games - that doesn't mean I think we will or that I must state on here that I think we will, because I don't tbh.

Hey, you can say whatever you like, I've never stopped you from being wrong in the past either :)

If we continue to improve at the rate we have under Lambert, there's every chance we can win games against last season's top sides. If we don't think we can improve our performances, we could consider just skipping all the bother of playing football and just fix our league position at 15th for ever more.

Hey, you can say whatever you like, I've never stopped you from being wrong in the past either :)

If we continue to improve at the rate we have under Lambert, there's every chance we can win games against last season's top sides. If we don't think we can improve our performances, we could consider just skipping all the bother of playing football and just fix our league position at 15th for ever more.

I realise it is tongue in cheek but i would be interested to know, how many times I have been dramatically wrong on bold statements? Not that I am suggesting I am always right or that this is a bold statement FWIW. 

I do think we can improve. I am simply saying that those fixtures at that time have made the task more difficult. I am not suggesting we take our bat home, or that we will not be up for the challenge. I am just suggesting it could have been easier. Whilst there are many positives to the end of last season, i really think people overlook just how difficult they found it for very long periods. I am hoping they can avoid similar this season but those 3 fixtures do not help to get some good early form.

Edited by Woodytom

Having Stoke, Palace, Swansea and Sunderland over Christmas/New Year is a refreshing change from the nightmare fixtures we usually have over that period. 

Just looking at past years in 08-09 we beat West Ham, drew with arsenal and beat Hull, that's the best I can find.

The Might of the first 3 opponents, puts our £1-2m bargain buys into perspective - chillingly.

Although, we faced west ham and everton last season, and lost them both - so its not the end of the world. Defence still a concern for me even with the new aquisitions - just hope we can avoid a mullering in those first 3 games.

• Like 1

Young team (just endured a very tough season) - get off to a bad start, because lets face it, we can easily (through no fault of our own) be down the bottom after 3 games - I think that will be tough to recover from and really kick on from last season. Im not suggesting we will go down should we lose all 3, I am just suggesting that it will be very tough to really improve from last season.

The momentum built from the last few months (which many seem so eager to point out as an indication we are going to have a good season), could easily be damaged within  3 games. It could be added to of course, should we do well, but I think it is fair to say - we are more likely going to struggle in those games than succeed. 

I don't necessarily think we'll be back to struggling like season if we lose our first three games. In that good run we had last season we still lost to all of the top teams (plus Liverpool) that we played and that didn't seem to stop us from winning in most of our other fixtures. Providing we don't get smashed against Arsenal or Chelsea, I think the players will be fine as they know they're not expected to win these kinds of games.

You have to remember as well that we'll have improved our team over the summer with new signings and many of the players that were here at the beginning of last season have come on leaps and bounds. I just think it's a bit silly to suggest that the first three games will shape our season.

Just looking at past years in 08-09 we beat West Ham, drew with arsenal and beat Hull, that's the best I can find.

That was the smash and grab at Hull wasnt it? I remember watching that with my bro who was back for Xmas. Strange Ash young -hand/crossbar incident at the end?

West ham - a deflected Milner cross?

Remember those well because I was thinking at the time that - we can not possibly sustain our league position playing like this.

That said, we were outstanding on Boxing day versus Arsenal.

I don't necessarily think we'll be back to struggling like season if we lose our first three games. In that good run we had last season we still lost to all of the top teams (plus Liverpool) that we played and that didn't seem to stop us from winning in most of our other fixtures. Providing we don't get smashed against Arsenal or Chelsea, I think the players will be fine as they know they're not expected to win these kinds of games.

You have to remember as well that we'll have improved our team over the summer with new signings and many of the players that were here at the beginning of last season have come on leaps and bounds. I just think it's a bit silly to suggest that the first three games will shape our season.

I don't think its silly at all.

Imagine we lose all 3. We then go into the next 1 pretty much needing a win just to get going. Another defeat would leave us with 34 games to go. Sounds a lot but when you considered we only managed 41 from 38 last season - it would take some major improvement to really kick on from last season. It would be very possible to get more than 41 points, im just suggesting that it will be very difficult to dramatically improve.

Personally I would prefer the toughest games at the start.

We had easy games at the start last season and lost them anyway. We then went on to lose spectacularly during our tough Christmas run.

Southampton had a similar tough start last season and even managed to get 0 from their first 3 games from memory but turned it around and went on a run after that.

The start of the season is the best time to make mistakes. The manager can make changes and the team will immediately have belief again with time to improve results.

I don't think its silly at all.

Imagine we lose all 3. We then go into the next 1 pretty much needing a win just to get going. Another defeat would leave us with 34 games to go. Sounds a lot but when you considered we only managed 41 from 38 last season - it would take some major improvement to really kick on from last season. It would be very possible to get more than 41 points, im just suggesting that it will be very difficult to dramatically improve.

Alright then, imagine we get 2 wins and a draw from those first 3 fixtures or even win them all. We'd then be on 7 or 9 points after just 3 games. What's to say we couldn't push on and compete for a Champions League spot?

I don't actually believe that, I'm just playing devil's advocate. I think it's ridiculous to suggest that our entire season will be shaped in our first 3 fixtures against teams who we're not expect to win against anyway.

On it being difficult to improve last season: I don't think so.

4 or 5 goals go our way and we could easily be mid table last season.

I'm rather confident we'll be much better despite the tough fixtures in the beginning

Edited by Kwan

Â