Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Are you sure about that? We do have a thread about them nearly 600pages long. One of the biggest threads on VillaTalk for an opposing club. I do think quite a lot on here have an issue with them. 

To be fair a lots happened to Newcastle thats worth talking about...

But the "rivalry" is bollocks, where's she's wrong is that we've happily celebrated relegating a few teams over the years, wasn't special treatment for newcastle so it wasn't weird and it wasn't us that started it

I hate the whole "big club" nonsense but our years in the championship put it on steroids, Newcastle, wolves, Leeds all tried a "rivalry" when we were down there

As for some of those on here who commented that this is the game they'd like to win the most this season etc I don't get that

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

To be fair a lots happened to Newcastle thats worth talking about...

But the "rivalry" is bollocks, where's she's wrong is that we've happily celebrated relegating a few teams over the years, wasn't special treatment for newcastle so it wasn't weird and it wasn't us that started it

I hate the whole "big club" nonsense but our years in the championship put it on steroids, Newcastle, wolves, Leeds all tried a "rivalry" when we were down there

As for some of those on here who commented that this is the game they'd like to win the most this season etc I don't get that

Exactly remember the "who is the clowns now?" 

They seem abit upset about the sob in the tyne and who is your messiah ant or dec. Also when we relegated them under shearer.

The rivalry is bollocks no one really cares about them. They will prob win stuff but it will be the city way buying the league.

Id rather do ig our way with honourable people like edens and sawiris than blood money from saudi arabia 

It’s the Saudi thing that’s propelled it. Go back just three years to April 2020 (page 236). The murmurs of the takeover happen. 

We then have about 350 pages in the next three years - compared to the 230ish that took place during the previous seven. 

The rate of discussion massively changed. I suspect if Southampton or Crystal Palace were taken over by a joint bid from Darth Vader and Elon Musk those threads would get more traffic too.

Edit - actually I don’t give him credit when I should it was propelled by the Saudis with a bit of help by Steve Bruce.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

It’s the Saudi thing that’s propelled it. Go back just three years to April 2020 (page 236). The murmurs of the takeover happen. 

We then have about 350 pages in the next three years - compared to the 230ish that took place during the previous seven. 

The rate of discussion massively changed. I suspect if Southampton or Crystal Palace were taken over by a joint bid from Darth Vader and Elon Musk those threads would get more traffic too.

Edit - actually I don’t give him credit when I should it was propelled by the Saudis with a bit of help by Steve Bruce.

Yeah without both it would half the number of pages to the Everton thread for example.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Yeah without both it would half the number of pages to the Everton thread for example.

Probably about the correct estimate.

Also, there’s an element of Newcastle being slightly more relevant to us than the likes of Liverpool or Chelsea. 

Both sides weren’t great over the past decade, spent an extra season together in the Championship. While there’s notable stuff going on with the top six, unfortunately the goings on at another relegation threatened club (which they were) were of more interest to us.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

12 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Anyone want a laugh the writer has made herself a laughing stock 😂

LOOOOOOOL

I hate to break it to you jackie but we dont care about your shit football club

I always find it weird when people claim to not care about another club… yet trawl the others clubs’ forum looking for comments to rile everyone up.

There’s definitely been a bit with Newcastle over the last… I don’t know, 10 years maybe? It’s silly to say there’s nothing there. Same with Leeds.

They aren’t REAL rivalries, but they seem to be slightly-more-important than games against every other top flight side right now for some  - even Wolves. 

Edited by bobzy

15 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Anyone want a laugh the writer has made herself a laughing stock 😂

LOOOOOOOL

I hate to break it to you jackie but we dont care about your shit football club

I hate the way these dickheads do this. Literally the only club whose fans ransack the forum for comments. If they're just going to steal our content, they should at least pay for it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Exactly remember the "who is the clowns now?" 

They seem abit upset about the sob in the tyne and who is your messiah ant or dec. Also when we relegated them under shearer.

The rivalry is bollocks no one really cares about them. They will prob win stuff but it will be the city way buying the league.

Id rather do ig our way with honourable people like edens and sawiris than blood money from saudi arabia 

I think this "rivalry" is in the heads of a few dozen twitter accounts maybe, on both sides. For the vast majority of NUFC fans Villa are just another team to beat, and I'm sure Villa fans generally feel the same way about Newcastle.

1 minute ago, OzyBoy said:

I think this "rivalry" is in the heads of a few dozen twitter accounts maybe, on both sides. For the vast majority of NUFC fans Villa are just another team to beat, and I'm sure Villa fans generally feel the same way about Newcastle.

I'd say overall yes, but your Saudi ownership has added more of a "really want to beat" than before.  It's not a Newcastle thing - same goes for Man City, of course - but people don't like that you're owned by Saudi Arabia.

You're probably already well aware/used to that though :D 

• Like 1

Just now, bobzy said:

I'd say overall yes, but your Saudi ownership has added more of a "really want to beat" than before.  It's not a Newcastle thing - same goes for Man City, of course - but people don't like that you're owned by Saudi Arabia.

Yeah, completely agree.

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

I always find it weird when people claim to not care about another club… yet trawl the others clubs’ forum looking for comments to rile everyone up.

There’s definitely been a bit with Newcastle over the last… I don’t know, 10 years maybe? It’s silly to say there’s nothing there. Same with Leeds.

They aren’t REAL rivalries, but they seem to be slightly-more-important than games against every other top flight side right now for some  - even Wolves. 

I didnt go through a forum i typed aston villa news in google then that cam top for some reason so i read it. Nothing wierd about it at all. 

Did i say for people to rile up or laugh at how stupid the article is?

Their fans seem to have an inferiority complex perhaps?

It's natural for fans to dislike other teams for me it's Man Poo, Man City and the Barcodes.

I'd never really liked them, all this 'people's club' BS only adds to the dislike, the love from the media and now this Saudi ownership has exacerbated it further. It is not jealousy at all, I've never really liked them.

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It died down a lot for me - but then remembered qhat animals their fans are after the game at sty james earlier. 

So yeah for this person to try narrate it as its a villa problem its laughable

What happened?

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

I really dislike the dumb trend, social media just made it more visible. 

28 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

I really dislike the dumb trend, social media just made it more visible. 

I guess you could say that social media makes it more possible to build rivalries with fan bases who are not local. 

It used to be that you only interacted with fans of local teams on a day to day basis and  rivalries developed between neighbouring clubs. 

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

It's this all day long. I used to think Newcastle were a proper club until this. Now they're my most hated club alongside Chelsea (for kickstarting the financial ruin of football via oligarch mafia money) and Man City (for being sportwashy state-owned and also shithousing football financially while also stealing our best players over the years as part of those book cooking practices).

Edited by osmark86
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Are you sure about that? We do have a thread about them nearly 600pages long. One of the biggest threads on VillaTalk for an opposing club. I do think quite a lot on here have an issue with them. 

This thread is 10 years old! That's about 1 post per week. Hardly backs up the theory that we see them as rivals. 

In fact for a club with so many talking points, that's really not a lot at all.

Edited by GlobalVillan
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

And it's nothing against the people of Saudi Arabia either. That needs to he made clear. Some of the nicest people I've ever met are from there. It's the Saudi STATE that is the issue here.

Just now, GlobalVillan said:

And it's nothing against the people of Saudi Arabia either. That needs to he made clear. Some of the nicest people I've ever met are from there. It's the Saudi STATE that is the issue here.

Yes.

I do feel the fact it's Newcastle is significant to some point, though.  People are saying "there's no rivalry", but the reaction to Saudi ownership wouldn't have quite the same vitriol if it was, say, Brighton IMO.

Â