Christian Benteke

Kwan

interestingly with the benteke bid from athletico and comparisons to liverpool for carroll.... carroll was a young player who had done well and shown bags of potential, resulting in him getting a transfer way above the odds....

time has proven that valuation to be way off mark.... as i look at where benteke is in his development now, it is not impossible that he follows a similar path... hope he doesn't, but he is still very early on in his career, and has yet to be injured...

a team like athletico is our worst nightmare with regards to keeping bentekkers for another year.... they will offer regular CL football, the opportunity to play against real and barca regularly, cash to burn and a nice gap left where their star player was before meaning that the team would be built around bentekkers....

lets hope this one has no legs, but i have a nasty feeling about this...

Benteke is nothing like Carroll, everyone apart from Dalglish knew Carroll was a waste, they sign Benteke they get a player who has so much more than Carroll. Atletico have huge debts as someone has mentioned, to prise Benteke it will need 30million plus.

dunno about 30 but it would be a big fat wedge, we'd have a big fat hole to fill though. this speculation is going to run till 1 sept with bentekke, not going to be pleasant at all.

RomaVillan, they will use previous deals as a guideline, Downing 20Mill and Milner 26Mill. Benteke is more important and will be potentially bigger than both, so unless we get that kind of figure I can't see Randy budging on that one.

Guardian has just posted some clearly "let's pull names and numbers out of a hat and put them into another hat with some glue and pull them back out and publish them however they've stuck" top 50 Summer transfer targets, in which our dear Christian is said to want a move away and is "valued" at a mere 10.5M. It would be funny, were it not for the inevitability of a noteworthy percentage of the brainless masses (and brainless pundits and managers, too) taking it as gospel, declaring our valuation too high and using it to publicly try to beat us down when we hold out, at which point I will just remind them that we got 20M for Stewart Downing.

dunno about 30 but it would be a big fat wedge, we'd have a big fat hole to fill though. this speculation is going to run till 1 sept with bentekke, not going to be pleasant at all.

Not if he signs a new deal on 1st July? Atheltico is run by one of the biggest crooks in Spain a more there would not be right for CB all their previous strikers have been in the same mold Torres, Augero, Forlan and Falcao not exactly a list of striking powerhouses?

The more I think about it, if someone came in and offered us £28 million for Benteke i'd take it. Lambert can do a lot with that and turn us from a team who needs all of Benteke's goals to have a chance of winning a game to a team who can sneak by with fewer. That could then be Lambert's transfer kitty with wages seperate to that. 

- Splurge £9-10 million on a forward.

- 3 £6 million players dotted around and we're looking at a stronger team altogether.

• Like 1

only in the world of FM

similar arguments were put forward when we sold Milner and got 18M and Ireland.  or when we sold Downing and Young and were told by some on here that Nzogbia at 10.5M would be able to replace both of them and be a better player.

Â