Christian Benteke

Kwan

Liverpool is a step up

images_zpsldian6uq.jpeg

Along with all OLE  ;)

Happy days. Gives me and my diesel a free run!!

And introduce Steam on the Main at all times

Edited by Kingman

People are absolutely kidding themselves if they think Liverpool isn't a step up.

It's not 1981. It's 2015.

What i'm arguing is that it's not a big enough step up for a player of his calibre. Why go to a Europa League team?

• Like 2

People are absolutely kidding themselves if they think Liverpool isn't a step up.

Some guys have a big titty ho, but they don't want their mates keep banging on about it either!

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 3

Some guys have a big titty ho, but they don't want their mates keep banging on about it either!

This made me spit my drink out! (My big titty ho is beside me)!

• Like 1

You lot are missing my point. There is more chance of Real coming along while he is playing at Liverpool than at Villa. He will get more service, score more goals and win more games. Do you think the likes of Suarez and Torres would have got their big money moves after a season with us!

There were probably Newcastle fans who said similar about Carrol,
Yes and it turned out the move was too big for him. Fans on here are saying the move to Liverpool is too small for him!
And it is.
Then how does that compare with what happened to Carrol? Are you suggesting had he stayed at Newcastle he would have got an even bigger move than Liverpool?

What I'm saying is you are saying its a certainty he will "get more service, score more goals and win more games" at Liverpool than here, I'm saying there is no guarantee of that and that people would have said it of Carrol.

I think it is perfectly reasonable for people to think Benteke is too good to move to a club likely to be playing in the Europa League for the next few years.

I don't see how your two sentences here aren't mutually contradictory.

Angel Di Maria.

Perfectly capable of playing at PL level and higher but hasn't exactly worked out at United has it.

So no they aren't.

Benteke is a player that thrives on crosses, Liverpool don't provide that sort of service.

I'm not suggesting Liverpool isn't a level above us, clearly it is.

I just don't think him moving to Liverpool is guaranteed to result in the things being suggested, I don't think it would be the right move and I think he could do better.

He is too good for us but he is also too good to be playing in the Europa League and that is where Liverpool are these days, one exceptional season (carried by an exceptional player) apart.

You'll always be able to find odd examples, but by and large a player too good for Liverpool will look good when playing for Liverpool. Certainly more times than not, and so I can see why he would fancy his chances. Taking the three assumptions you challenged:

Get more service - he would definitely get more and better service from Liverpool's midfield than ours, there's no real debate about this

Score more goals - he would very likely score more goals at Liverpool, although I suppose there's a chance he could be rotated

Win more games - of course he would win more games at Liverpool.

Two assumptions I would challenge are, 1) Liverpool are guaranteed to fail to qualify for the Champions League (even last year, which was a clearly a bad year for the club, they went on a 17-game unbeaten run and only definitely failed to qualify two or three games from the end of the season, and 2) The fact that Liverpool put in a small number of crosses last year means they couldn't alter their style of play to benefit their personnel next season.

There are a few things above that I don't agree with but I won't pick them up as it isn't a thread about Liverpool. The one thing I would say is that nobody knows at this stage who will be playing in their midfield or ours next season so it's a little early to state the above with confidence.

But I'm not saying Liverpool isn't a step up, I'm saying it's not a big enough step up for him. Two very different things.

• Like 3

I don't think he has done enough to prove he is good enough for a Champions League team at the price we want. In all 3 seasons he had long spells when he was hardly in the game. Yes fitness played its part but to spend 32.5M on a player it has to be taken in to consideration surely.

Liverpool on the other hand probably can't attract or afford any better.

I reckon Benteke is good enough for a top 4 team but whether he'd perform depends on the team I think. It's hard to say because he's been one of the few shining lights for Villa in a few really shit years and, as they say, "you're only as good as your team." Yet he's still bagged goals and pulled off some nice football. I reckon he'd smash it at Arsenal personally. 

I reckon Benteke is good enough for a top 4 team 

He's more likely to get a move there via Liverpool than direct from us, though. Too many people looking at any move to Liverpool with a strange finality. Benteke, should he go there, isn't going there to play out his career. He's going there for a year, maybe 2, in the hope of ending up at an elite club. He and his agent will view them as every bit as much a stepping stone in his career as we are.

We're the shop window down the dingy side street, they're the shop window on the glitzy main street - but they're both shop windows

• Like 2

Jovetic...no chance!

More like they will link us with some random young kid they cant get rid of!

If was last season it would be 5 million plus Rodwell, Demichelis and Sinclair :P

I don't think he has done enough to prove he is good enough for a Champions League team at the price we want. In all 3 seasons he had long spells when he was hardly in the game. Yes fitness played its part but to spend 32.5M on a player it has to be taken in to consideration surely.

Are Liverpool really that big of a step up from Villa? We outplayed them in the semi-final and last 6 seasons have finished 7th, 6th,8th,7th,2nd,6th. Better than Villa but not good enough to waste more years of his career to move to a slightly better mid-table club

Edited by Zatman

Better than Villa but not good enough to waste more years of his career to move to a slightly better mid-table club

He's more likely to end up at a Barca going via Liverpool than he is staying at Villa. It's unlikely he'll ever get a move to an elite club direct from us, he needs to go to a "brand name" first

• Like 2

Are Liverpool really that big of a step up from Villa? We outplayed them in the semi-final and last 6 seasons have finished 7th, 6th,8th,7th,2nd,6th. Better than Villa but not good enough to waste more years of his career to move to a slightly better mid-table club
They do try to improve though. Already done some decent business in the transfer market. Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Â