Christian Benteke

Kwan

Spurs still signed some good players from the money....Paulinho, Cirches who's looked a good CB when he's been fit. I also think Erikesen will start playing really well next season, he's still adapting a bit but obviously the quality is there. All three would certainly improve our team! I think that was a spend from about 30m btw, think Eriksen was 12, Criches 8m and Paulinho 10m so gives you an idea what we could be capable of coming up with if we can sell Benteke for 20-25m plus a couple of others.

• Like 1

Spurs still signed some good players from the money....Paulinho, Cirches who's looked a good CB when he's been fit. I also think Erikesen will start playing really well next season, he's still adapting a bit but obviously the quality is there. All three would certainly improve our team! I think that was a spend from about 30m btw, think Eriksen was 12, Criches 8m and Paulinho 10m so gives you an idea what we could be capable of coming up with if we can sell Benteke for 20-25m plus a couple of others.

But......who's going to score for us. :unsure:

Yup, once you're shopping nearer £10m I think we could do some good work, £20m for Benteke and £20m kitty coudl see 4 very good players added. Don't get e wrong I hope he's going to stay. If the club know otherwise though I hope we do our business early again and any replacements signed before we sell so as not to get raped on price...

If he continues the form shown over the last couple of games until the end of the season then we should be asking 30m for him. He really has got it all a target centre forward who can also play as a link forward and able to create his own goal scoring chances while also being a real menace in the air.

Just the complete striker for the modern game and we should cash in on that. Maybe some of us forget that when fit he still scores goals on a regular basis with inept service from players a step below him on the quality ladder.

• Like 1

Paulinho was £17m, Eriksen £12m and Chiriches was £8.5m. All of those fees will/can rise too I believe and I'm sure they're all on a fair wack in wages. So that works out at £37.5m at least, which is basically the same amount as Lambert spent altogether on all of his signings that he has made so far.

If we sell Benteke and get £20-25m as you say but Lerner still puts in his yearly £20m or so, we'd definitely be able to add some real quality to the team. I guess it just depends on whether or not that is what happens.

Because we have a chairman desperately trying to claw back his poor investments?

The same chairman who was here last summer when we didn't budge when Spurs waved a bit of money in front of us?

Edited by Mantis

We wanted £30 million for him last year why would we accept less now?

I thought it was 25?

It was. But it's another year on and if he can bang another 5/6 in between now and the end of the season which is pretty much nailed on you'd imagine then it's another year of proven ability, despite his injuries.

Take his performance against Newcastle. He didn't have the best of games productivity wise, but almost every single time the ball came to him he had 2/3 players swarm around him like flies around shit. Most of the time he'd come away with the ball, have to lay it backwards and simple because nobody was busting a gut to move for it. You put him in a side like Arsenal, where the defenders can't afford to show him so much personal attention, where the players around him want the ball, move for it and are able to feed him himself and he'll become one of the deadliest strikers in the league. No doubts in my mind about that anymore.

He's played better than this, but he's a technically gifted footballer no question, he's still scoring goals and he's a **** unit to boot. Add to that he's what, 23?

If Christian Benteke isn't worth £30m in this day and age, in this league, then I'm not sure who is.

What a buy. More please Paul.

• Like 2

Yep, I agree with every word.

Just saying that big John said we'd wanted £30m last season but I'm sure it was £25 that we allegedly wanted.

I agree with you though. When players like Soldado and Carroll are costing the amounts of money they do, a player like Benteke should certainly be in the same bracket

• Like 1

Yep, I agree with every word.

Just saying that big John said we'd wanted £30m last season but I'm sure it was £25 that we allegedly wanted.

I agree with you though. When players like Soldado and Carroll are costing the amounts of money they do, a player like Benteke should certainly be in the same bracket

Sorry I thought it was £30 million.

I only mentioned as I saw a couple talking about getting £20 million for him when I think we should and will be looking at a much higher price.

It's a weird situation where it's almost as if Benteke will be cheaper because we know his level, as opposed to a relative unknown like Soldado or Carroll (because of his youth at the time)

Benteke is really good, so will cost X amount. Soldado MIGHT be incredible (but also might not be) so he costs X + £10million

It's a weird situation where it's almost as if Benteke will be cheaper because we know his level, as opposed to a relative unknown like Soldado or Carroll (because of his youth at the time)

Benteke is really good, so will cost X amount. Soldado MIGHT be incredible (but also might not be) so he costs X + £10million

Not sure I agree. I think we'll get a big fee based on what he could become.

I can't believe anyone around here is genuinely worried that a club like spurs could sign Benteke off us. There's zero chance of this happening.

Of course it can happen. They are a top six club, we are a bottom half club. Every single one of our players would play for them if they had the chance. That is the reality for Aston Villa today.

Benteke is really good, so will cost X amount. Soldado MIGHT be incredible (but also might not be) so he costs X + £10million

I don't think so personally.

If he manages to knock in another 5 or 6 goals, so lets say he finishes his tally at 15 league goals, taking his injuries into account I think many clubs would be looking at him thinking he has had another successful season.

We always see managers, players, pundits and so on stating that the Premier League is the toughest league to adapt to. If Benteke can do the business here for two seasons at a club like ours, just imagine what he could do for a club further up the table or in a team in an easier league. With the right players around him, he could be immense, probably world class.

Now obviously because we're now looked at as one of the smaller teams in the league it is harder for us to hold onto our prized assets, which is the reason some may say we'd be selling him cheaper than somebody like Soldado for example, but judging by the prices of players nowadays (especially those who play further up the pitch) I think we could easily be asking for £30m+.

A case to look at I guess would be Luis Suarez. We know that Arsenal 100% made a bid of £40,000,001 last Summer, just 2 and a half seasons after Suarez joined Liverpool. 

Luis Suarez up until £40m bid: 47 domestic goals in 88 appearances. Goals per game ratio of 0.53.

Benteke up until now: 33 domestic goals in 64 appearances. Goals per game ratio of 0.51.

Now I know there are more stats you could look at than goals but if a 27-year-old Suarez wasn't even sold for £40m before this season, surely a 23-year-old Benteke is worth at least £30m?

Edited by samjp26

Whilst it's true he played well here for Roma, he didn't really do it consistently the whole time he was here. He could disappear, but I spose forwards do, and I didn't know anyone that wasn't pleased to get €30m for him at the time. Even though he was one of the best players, that sort of money in the right hands can take you places and Garcia has been amazing in that regard. Roma also got €10m (count them) for Bradley!!! Whilst he had played his part, was a hard worker and grabbed a coupel of important goals, he wasn't anywhere the quality needed in teh middle of the park. To get that much money for him was insane.

I digress. 

Yep Lamela could well be quality but I don't think he's £25m/€30m quality. We should be lookign to get that sort of money if and when Benteke goes and then do what Garcia did with the Lamela money, spend it wisely. Spurs payed over the odds for everyone they got IMO, even though they were smart enough to do their shopping BEFORE they got the Bale fee. Imagine how much Lamela would have been had they got him after?

Fair enough, I bow to your superior knowledge. But even you must be suprised with the way Spurs have so readily given up on him? Although €30 was probably over the odds, a lot of transfers are in today's market really.

I can't believe anyone around here is genuinely worried that a club like spurs could sign Benteke off us. There's zero chance of this happening.

If they had any brains he would have been playing for them this season.

Indeed. I find it absolutely hilarious that they wouldn't give us £25m for Benteke yet went out and blew £26m on Soldado. :lol:

Â