Christian Benteke

Kwan

Christian Benteke says it is premature to suggest he has returned to peak form following his brace against Norwich City at the weekend

The Belgian striker netted Aston Villa's first two goals as they came from behind to defeat Norwich 4-1 on Sunday.

The 22-year-old's goals were his first for the club in five matches and he hopes to continue to add to his goal tally for Villa.

"It is maybe too quick to say that I am back to my best just because I scored two goals," Benteke told Sky Sports. "But I am feeling good, I try to do my best and bring that to the team.

"Now we have 10 games to go so I will try to do my best and score as many goals as possible."

Benteke is currently with Belgium as they prepare for a friendly against Ivory Coast in Brussels on Wednesday.

He is expected to play a key role for Belgium in the World Cup in Brazil later this year but the former Racing Genk striker is refusing to get ahead of himself.

"Since I started playing football it has been my dream to play in the World Cup.

"I'm not there just yet so I am focusing on Aston Villa for the moment."

Benteke went through a barren spell earlier in the season and went 12 matches without scoring for his club.

He explained that the goal drought was down to a poor decision on his part to play through injury.

"It was hard because I was playing through an injury so it was a bad decision from me," he said. "But the manager saw that and he gave me a little break and this break helped me a lot.

"I came back good after my injury and now I will try to find my old higher level."

We cannot really deny him a move, he's given 2 years to us which is fair play, you can hardly blame him as he is a class above anything we have at the moment. We all wanted him to stay the extra year and he has, think we should let him go and keep on to the good memories of him, hope there isn't the nasty reaction like last summer if he were to leave

sorry but I completely disagree with that. Why should we let him go just because he is better than the rest. He has a contract which he willingly signed. If somebody bids a suitable price that Aston Villa are happy with then he can more otherwise he should stay put. I'm an Aston Villa fan not a Benteke fan (if you know what I mean), I want what's best for Aston Villa, not any individual player or person. Aston Villa are better with him in the team so he stays and fulfils his contract unless somebody pays a very high price that suits us and we can utilise to hopefully better the team.
  • Like 1

I too hate the "he's given us two years" argument, we've given him two years in the prem not the other way around, thats not to say i dont think he'll move on i fully expect him to but this him doing us a favour thing is rubbish.

• Like 1

If he is sold for a reasonable fee then you hope we look to the Tottenham roadmap for progression and reinvest it in strengthening several areas of the team. Hopefully in doing so, purchasing another talent of Benteke's calibre in which the same process can be repeated further down the line.

I do think he deserves the chance to play with a really good side containing at least few players of similar ability. It would be exciting to see how far he could go.

can't we just watch him play for Belgium to see that?
  • Like 1

I do think he deserves the chance to play with a really good side containing at least few players of similar ability. It would be exciting to see how far he could go.

can't we just watch him play for Belgium to see that?

Or wait for Lambert's summer shopping spree ;)

• Like 1

Sell by all means but sell him for the benefit of Aston Villa not Christian Benteke.

Well that wont be the case no matter what, he is irreplaceable. Just like Ronaldo and Bale when they left, Utd and Spurs, good money yes but you wont replace them.

I too hate the "he's given us two years" argument, we've given him two years in the prem not the other way around, thats not to say i dont think he'll move on i fully expect him to but this him doing us a favour thing is rubbish.

If he stayed here he would be doing us a favour, he could easily get a move to a CL team and maybe could have last year.

If we were challenging for Europa League/Top 6 this season and looking to push on next season Id be devastated if he left but we are so far away from where he wants to be and we wont be getting there anytime soon.

If he stayed here he would be doing us a favour, he could easily get a move to a CL team and maybe could have last year.

Don't you mean if we decide to sell him we'll be doing him a favour? Given that he's got a legal obligation to work for the club for the next 3 years?

Don't you mean if we decide to sell him we'll be doing him a favour? Given that he's got a legal obligation to work for the club for the next 3 years?

Contracts are worthless in this game.

Contracts are worthless in this game.

That's a shame. I thought we could have received a fee for him. At least this means we don't have to pay any wages.

If we sell him for 20m, it'll take a large chunk of that, if not all and the respective wages to replace him

There wont be much change left from it to strengthen any other areas thats for sure

Build a team around him would be my move.....it's about time we started building again and stop selling our best players.

If we could convince him of our positive intention, he might want to stay.

If he wants to leave it's probably a clear indication, he believes there is little ambition.

• Like 2

Â