Christian Benteke

Kwan

I doubt Spurs could actually afford him, so it'll will inevitably mean a cash + player(s) deal. I doubt we'll be too interested in Spurs' reserves since their wages would be above what we'd be willing to play.

DP that's a very good point and my worry is if Spurs are interested they might subsidize any makeweight's wages to push the deal through.

True, wouldn't surprise me if they offered something close to £20m plus one of (or even two of) Naughton, Townsend, Huddlestone and Livermore.

Obviously speculating here but when have Spurs ever paid £20m+ for a player? Benteke is out of their price range as a pure cash transaction.

Another issue will be Benteke's reaction when we do reject Spurs' advances, it's likely that he'll go on strike like he did at Genk. It'll get very messy.

Indeed it could get messy - but IF Benteke does opt to go on strike to force the move, I think it will damage his career undoubtedly and may put off suitors in the future.

A player to strike once is enough, but twice? he could be on the verge of tarnishing his reputation.

One way or the other, I just hope this matter gets resolved quickly

Benteke has to realise that we still hold the cards, he has 3 years left on his contract and it is a world cup year. If he goes on strike and either refuses to play or is frozen out he will simply lose his place in the Belgium team to Lukaku. So he needs to be playing regularly and at his best next season regardless of who he's playing for in order to cement his place.

Levy gets queasy around the £20m mark, he's happy to sign players from Brazil who have no experience in a top level league for £17m but isn't prepared to fork out the necessary money for not only someone who is a top talent in world football but has proven to be a goalscorer in one of the world's best leagues.

Again excellent points DP and it is up to our club what we are prepared to accept rather than having to pander to anyone else.

Benteke and his agent should also remind themselves what happened to Bent.  

I doubt Spurs could actually afford him, so it'll will inevitably mean a cash + player(s) deal. I doubt we'll be too interested in Spurs' reserves since their wages would be above what we'd be willing to play.

DP that's a very good point and my worry is if Spurs are interested they might subsidize any makeweight's wages to push the deal through.

True, wouldn't surprise me if they offered something close to £20m plus one of (or even two of) Naughton, Townsend, Huddlestone and Livermore.

Obviously speculating here but when have Spurs ever paid £20m+ for a player? Benteke is out of their price range as a pure cash transaction.

Another issue will be Benteke's reaction when we do reject Spurs' advances, it's likely that he'll go on strike like he did at Genk. It'll get very messy.

Indeed it could get messy - but IF Benteke does opt to go on strike to force the move, I think it will damage his career undoubtedly and may put off suitors in the future.

A player to strike once is enough, but twice? he could be on the verge of tarnishing his reputation.

Benteke has to realise that we still hold the cards, he has 3 years left on his contract and it is a world cup year. If he goes on strike and either refuses to play or is frozen out he will simply lose his place in the Belgium team to Lukaku. So he needs to be playing regularly and at his best next season regardless of who he's playing for in order to cement his place.

Levy gets queasy around the £20m mark, he's happy to sign players from Brazil who have no experience in a top level league for £17m but isn't prepared to fork out the necessary money for not only someone who is a top talent in world football but has proven to be a goalscorer in one of the world's best leagues.

Again excellent points DP and it is up to our club what we are prepared to accept rather than having to pander to anyone else.

what happend to Bent?

what happend to Bent?

He's been frozen out of the team - not sure it's just down to attitude but more that he doesn't fit in with our current style of play.

I think the poster is saying PL isn't afraid to bench anyone regardless of club status

• Like 1

Just wan't to ask what exactly is our "style of play" ?

We changed system about 15 times last season and even at the end when we went on a good(ish) run i didn't really see a clear system or style of play, neither in defence or attack

what happend to Bent?

He's been frozen out of the team - not sure it's just down to attitude but more that he doesn't fit in with our current style of play.

I think the poster is saying PL isn't afraid to bench anyone regardless of club status

that was because benteke is better. right? also bent is lazy could lose some weight imo

Just wan't to ask what exactly is our "style of play" ?

We changed system about 15 times last season and even at the end when we went on a good(ish) run i didn't really see a clear system or style of play, neither in defence or attack

Full backs who are encouraged to bomb forward-If you missed that then there really is no hope for you.

Our system settled down nicely with a 4-3-3 set up-Did you miss that as well? The only real change of note was swapping a more attack minded midfielder (N'Zog) for a more defensive minded player (Sylla) 

Would no-one consider Naughton?

I've only seen him a few times but he looks good & plays in a style that is compatible to our way of playing.

I'm still hoping a top 4 side will come in for him & we don't help a Spurs side improve as they will be "catchable " once Bale goes.

Is Naughton a RB

I'd take him if he was

So we get less money to have a back up RB ?

what happend to Bent?

that was because benteke is better. right? also bent is lazy could lose some weight imo

Bent started as the main striker-Benteke came in & took his chance.

If this move goes wrong for Benteke & he ends up staying,he will not automaticly start the season for us.If he misses some of the pre-season,he will be behind the other players.

Bent earns around £60K a week,3 times Benteke & was starting games for England before Benteke arrived.It doesn't matter who the player is,he is not bigger than the club.

• Like 1

I've only seen him a few times but he looks good & plays in a style that is compatible to our way of playing.

I'm still hoping a top 4 side will come in for him & we don't help a Spurs side improve as they will be "catchable " once Bale goes.

Is Naughton a RB

I'd take him if he was

I thought he was a left back.I would take less money for the right type of player although straight cash is always better.

Right Back is not a priority position for us,so no-Naughton would be a non-starter for me (unless he plays left back of course)

Hmm interesting - Vydra maybe? 

do you think he will come for 20K/week?

He can't be on more than 20k a week at Watford/Udinese? 

We actually was offering Benteke more than 40k for sure anyway !

Once we shift Bent and hopefully Ireland and Given .. We would have much more space .. we might give Benteke Bent's wage ?!

Is Naughton a RB

I'd take him if he was

I thought he was a left back.I would take less money for the right type of player although straight cash is always better.

Right Back is not a priority position for us,so no-Naughton would be a non-starter for me (unless he plays left back of course)

Even so I think Spurs would value him atleast with 5m ..

We already have two LB .. Luna might be better than Noughton .. we having tried him yet ..

I'm with you we need a FB who could cover RB and LB .. But this one is little bit expensive ..

Hmm interesting - Vydra maybe? 

do you think he will come for 20K/week?

He can't be on more than 20k a week at Watford/Udinese? 

We actually was offering Benteke more than 40k for sure anyway !

Once we shift Bent and hopefully Ireland and Given .. We would have much more space .. we might give Benteke Bent's wage ?!

I think all is lost - it's too late, his head has been turned and he wants to be competing with the big boys. Spurs will only match whatever we offer him even if that was 60-70k a week. 

I didn't see much of Vydra last season, but know he scored 20 Championship goals. He also got Championship Player of the Season. My only worry with Vydra would be that he might struggle in the premier league like many championship players have done in the past? Saying that though Holt didn't do too badly in his first season and neither did Ricky Lambert. 

Is Naughton a RB

I'd take him if he was

Even so I think Spurs would value him atleast with 5m ..

We already have two LB .. Luna might be better than Noughton .. we having tried him yet ..

I'm with you we need a FB who could cover RB and LB .. But this one is little bit expensive ..

£5mil for the right left back is not excessive-In this case though,I'd agree with you.I just checked & he's 24 now & still not established himself as a 1st team regular.Maybe we should have gone for him instead of Hutton 2 years ago but you're right-Not right for us now.Was just a thought

Â