Christian Benteke

Kwan

I'm going to be interviewing Brian Little about this Benteke situation on Unity FM on the Sports Lounge which is on from 1-3pm this Saturday.

If any of you guys have any particular questions you may suggest then let me know!

You can catch it locally on 93.5 or online on www.unityfm.net.

The Sun report the following from a 'Villa insider':

“It’s pretty straightforward. Benteke has three years left on his contract and therefore the club is in a strong position.

“Randy Lerner will not be bullied into selling. If no one comes up with our valuation of around £30m then Christian is staying.

"He will then have a lot of bridges to build with the manager, his team-mates and the supporters.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/5005728/Aston-Villa-prepare-for-battle-to-keep-Christian-Benteke.html#ixzz2YdDUbWmQ

wonder who that is.

“It’s pretty straightforward. Benteke has three years left on his contract and therefore the club is in a strong position.

“Randy Lerner will not be bullied into selling. If no one comes up with our valuation of around £30m then Christian is staying.

"He will then have a lot of bridges to build with the manager, his team-mates and the supporters.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/5005728/Aston-Villa-prepare-for-battle-to-keep-Christian-Benteke.html#ixzz2YdDUbWmQ

wonder who that is.

Julie B?

• Like 2

I'm going to be interviewing Brian Little about this Benteke situation on Unity FM on the Sports Lounge which is on from 1-3pm this Saturday.

If any of you guys have any particular questions you may suggest then let me know!

Here's a question for him,  does he see any similarities in this situation and his situation when he almost left us to join sha in a £600k deal

• Like 2

Spurs must think were a **** charity or a soft touch

Begging for players not very classy are they

We should charge them 26 mill after they made us pay the 1 mill wages of Jenas after he only played 3 games for us

If they think there getting him for 15 mill they are a laughing stock

• Like 1

Would love it if this was genuine.

On another note these things only ever happen to us when we're on the up. Nobody came after McLeish's squad. Who do people think will be next summer's Benteke? I reckon Tonev.

im waiting for the spurs offer dempsey and cash for benteke link

Weird how so many seem against this baring in mind we would have loved Dempsey last season.

Because he's 30 years of age and was pretty dire last season

Why don't they throw in Scott Parker as well we could turn BMH into an old peoples home

Edited by AshVilla

Here is the rest of the 'quotes':

"We will also decide the time-frame. If it reaches a point where we feel it is disrupting the club, we will pull the plug and go with what we have.

“Christian is an important player for us — but he’s not the only player we have. Our budgets are fine and we don’t need to sell anyone.

"We are relaxed and calm about this, we have a low heart-rate about it.”

• Like 1

Spurs must think were a **** charity or a soft touch

Begging for players not very classy are they

We should charge them 26 mill after they made us pay the 1 mill wages of Jenas after he only played 3 games for us

If they think there getting him for 15 mill they are a laughing stock

Has any of this even happened?

Please ask Brian:

How he would handle the Benteke situation if he were manager and if he were owner?

If you move away from just Benteke questions:

Would he currently try to accomodate Bent in the first team, in the squad, or move him on to free up a wages for younger players?

Realistically, what would he do if he inherited Stephen Ireland on the contract he's on.

Edited by brommy

It's a slow process but yes you can build something. 

Look at Dortmund. In 07/08 when their similar rebuilding began they brought in the likes of Hummels, Blaszczykowski and Mladen Petric for a combined £3m. They have since sold players such as:

Pienaar, Petric, Lucas Barrios, Nuri Sahin, Kagawa, Gotze, Lewandowski (next summer)

and still built something.

Westwood & Lowton £1.8m.

Bennett £2m

Benteke £5m

Vlaar £3m

KEA £3m

Bacuna £800k

Tonev £2.5m

Luna £1.5m

Helenius £1.2m

Guzan £Free

Okore £4m

Bowery £500k

Sylla £2m?

Steer - Tribunal.. £500k?

Total: £26m outlay tops?

Selling Benteke for £26m+ Would have essentially funded a rebuilding of our squad. If we really wanted to (we wouldnt), we could fill a Starting 11 + some of the bench with these players.

Guzan

Lowton   Vlaar   Okore   Luna

Westwood  Sylla

Bowery     Bacuna    Tonev

Helenius

Steer, Bennett, KEA.

So yeah, I think we can build something. We already have the foundation for something before even adding in our own youth prospects. Before we add in any more additions that could come from the money we get (and/or save in wages) from Bent, Given, Ireland, Bannan and Delfouneso.

If we can keep finding gems, selling them on if need be, and using that money to improve the squad, that is building something.

As I said before, selling Benteke for £25-30m will fund this summer, January and next summers signings. If it turns out next summer or the summer after that Lowton or Okore are £20m defenders, then selling them will fund the next round. 

If in 3 years time Jordan Graham is a £20m winger, he will fund the next round..If it's Grealish at £25m the year after then the Academy has been funded for years to come.

We can't compete unless we gradually build the quality of our team and the quality of our academy and eventually it clicks. Thats the situation we and any other club outside of the current top 6 find themselves in. Until then or a oil-rich sheikh buys us..

We go again..

Great post. I'd agree 100% but think the last paragraph needs emphasising. I think there is a misconception that people here are happy to buy cheap and sell on at a profit ad infinitum - the "1 step forward, 2 steps back" viewpoint. The key step is reinvesting to make slight overall improvements so that we gradually improve our standing, to the point where we become a more and more attractive proposition for quality players in our own right. I liken it, crudely, to getting on the property ladder and gradually acruing capital which allows you to make steps up to bigger and better homes. It doesn't happen overnight - but it is a pretty standard way of getting where you want to go.

On another note these things only ever happen to us when we're on the up. Nobody came after McLeish's squad. Who do people think will be next summer's Benteke? I reckon Tonev.

Okore

...the claim of our being "totally at the mercy of the player/agents" is actually just as "silly"

Yes, my claim was just as silly (which was why I admitted it may well have been over-egged) - though it was late and perhaps I should have phrased that in a slightly better manner. :)

I do think that we ought to be very careful about believing that things are all being (and will be) dictated by the club. Recent events would suggest that isn't the case, wouldn't they?

Bent

Hutton

Ireland

Given

Warnock

all players on higher salaries, some with bad attitudes that Lambert had no problem leaving to rot. Am sure if Benteke did anything stupid like sulking, disruptive or strike Lambert will have no problem doing the same

Okore
Bennett

Bent

Hutton

Ireland

Given

Warnock

all players on higher salaries, some with bad attitudes that Lambert had no problem leaving to rot. Am sure if Benteke did anything stupid like sulking, disruptive or strike Lambert will have no problem doing the same

Problem with that is - Benteke is good.

• Like 1

Â