Christian Benteke

Kwan

I think its a couple of things 1: his agent is clearly a clearing in the woods and 2: he is actually believing his own hype lets not forget the amount of games where he was quite frankly a passenger in . I'm gutted he wants to leave don't get me wrong but like many have said one man does NOT make a team . Get decent money for him and bring 3/4 new players in .

Its the job of his agent to maximise his salary and get him at a club where he is likley to win things. To me the finger points at  Randy Lerner as to why Aston Villa isn't such a club - and looks further away than ever from being so.

Hes played for a lot of clubs already in his short career, the way he left Genk by going on strike wasn't a good sign. He had a fantastic year for us and looked the business and now he wants to take a risk by moving to a new squad where he might not be guaranteed first team footy or that things will work out before a world cup. Obviousy he backs himself to make a success of it.

The club's and Lambert's statement are bang on, either meet our valuation of the player or there will be no move and that they expect Benteke to remain a Villa player next season. At the end of the day even the most optimisitic of us thought we'd only get one more year out of him. So if we make £20m+ profit on the lad and this money is given to Lambert I'm not unduly worried if we line up for the first game without Benteke. As with that kind of money Lambert can get 2 very, very good players. We also have Helenius who by all accounts from the Danish folks on here who'd seen him play could well turn into a great player. So maybe the £20m+ profit gets invested throughout the squad and we already have our replacement?

Either way I think we will be ok without him, it's a shame because he's a cracking striker who will only get better in my opinion, although it seems he has a touch of the Anelka about him when it comes to money and transfers. Anelka had the talent to have won three times as much silverware as he did had he not been greedy.

UTV.

Agreed Totti.

With the money we bring in we can buy 3/4 good players, and who's to say Lambert can't find another couple of gems that will make our team a lot stronger.

Part of me does want us to tell him to rot in the reserves for a year.

I think we should try for 30 mill. Chelsea have just offered 40 odd mill for Cavani, who is a few years older than Benteke. We should tell team that due to his age, and what he did in his first year, and the fact Cavani has not played in the prem, he is clearly worth the 30 when compared to Cavani. so pay up of F*** off.

It's a pretty big turnaround from earlier in the summer when he was reportedly quite happy. Wasn't there a tweet confirming this or was that just a spoof. 

To me it smacks of him getting tapped up. It could easily be through one of his international colleagues but given Arsenal have Vermaelen, Chelsea have Lukaku, Spurs have Dembele and Vertonghen, who knows who it could be. 

I suspect Spurs. 

who is suprised? no loyalty in the game anymore, his agent is a two faced c0ck

get rid and invest all the money back into the side. no player is bigger than the club. we came back when we sold yorke we can do the same without benteke. if you ask me he is a fool to move during world cup year

Well tbh lets face it when he's sold we will never know the fee it will be undisclosed

All we can hope is the club are not stupid enough to take 20 mill for him or any spurs reject such as huddlestone + cash considering we got that much for Downing who only had a few years left on his contract

Edited by AshVilla

I think its a couple of things 1: his agent is clearly a clearing in the woods and 2: he is actually believing his own hype lets not forget the amount of games where he was quite frankly a passenger in . I'm gutted he wants to leave don't get me wrong but like many have said one man does NOT make a team . Get decent money for him and bring 3/4 new players in .

Its the job of his agent to maximise his salary and get him at a club where he is likley to win things. To me the finger points at  Randy Lerner as to why Aston Villa isn't such a club - and looks further away than ever from being so.

We aren't such a club because we don't play Champions League football, or compete at the top of the table to qualify. We could have offered him the wages of Gvien, Bent and Ireland combined and he would still be looking for a bigger club playing at the highest level. Either now or next year. Lerner has hired te right manager for us to try and change that situation, but you don't do it overnight. Even when he was throwing cash at MON we didn't suddenly turn into a top 4 side, we got close but it took a few years.

If we sell for £20 million and Lambert is given £10 million to replace him then my opinion of Lerner will drop even lower.

We have to be careful how we look at all of the money.

Benteke has £3m of wages for the next three years and if we were to get say £24m for him, we'd find ourselves £27m to the good. Two £5.5m players at £40k a week for four years is £27m gone - but you can guarantee that this place would go mental claiming we hadn't spent it and Lerner had pocketed it because the fees only amount to £11m.

Because of how low his wages are, you can pretty much take whatever fee we get for Benteke and half it for a fair idea of how much it'll give us to spend on transfers.

Why would the money we get for Benteke have to go on paying the entire wages of a replacement?

The money should be made available to sign a player and his wages should be covered by the amount the club make each year from television.

I don't get this thinking at all.

Agreed BJ10, this wages discussion bores the arse off me.

Why could we not use part of Dunne's/ Makoun's/ Warnock's wages etc?

I wonder though, is he a Mourinho signing? Mourinho prefers established players not younger ones

I think he's very much a Mourinho style player. Mourinho plays very direct football and it will be a case of 'give the ball to Benteke and let him score' just like it was with Drogba

Stylistically yes it just seems like Mourinho likes to spend on expensive completely proven players, not gamble on young talent. Look at his past signings, most are older no?

Did he not spend a packet on a relatively unproven Drogba in his first spell at Chelsea. The two are as close to carbon copies of each other as you can get.

Anyway, I don't see how this changes anything. We all knew he'd be off if someone offered what we want, and that is still the case only difference is CB forfeiting his portion of the deal.

I agree leaving after 1 successful season is pretty scummy but I'd still much rather he handed in a transfer request rather than try to engineer a move through the press. Look at what Suarez has done, he's a far bigger scumbag. 

No surprise - in hard analysis there was no reason to stay - he wasn't going to get mega bucks, and the very best he could expect next season was Villa being mid table.

Will be difficult to replace - and I wonder if Lambo might play gabby through the middle - he was looking good towards the end of last season - and would relish the challenge of filling CB'S Boots.

I always expected him to go - but I am looking at Lerner now - If, as I fear the bulk of the fee received isn't re invested I m struggling to see a way forward under him.

Hey smetrov no need to shoot RL just yet mate, give him a chance to say what will happen with the money assuming a mug club be found.

The thing is from the way PL signs unknown players (well to me anyway) I doubt if we will be getting any big name high wage players. Maybe the club already knew when they went in for Helenius that he wanted out.

I'm still looking forward to the coming season, more so than ever as I have faith in this squad and manager. I mean it could be worse I shudder when I think back 2yrs.

• Like 1

We aren't such a club because we don't play Champions League football, or compete at the top of the table to qualify. We could have offered him the wages of Gvien, Bent and Ireland combined and he would still be looking for a bigger club playing at the highest level. Either now or next year. Lerner has hired te right manager for us to try and change that situation, but you don't do it overnight. Even when he was throwing cash at MON we didn't suddenly turn into a top 4 side, we got close but it took a few years.

Agreed - but equally we shouldn't be limited to the £2m scraps that we currently seem to be.  I always expected CB to move on - I really don't see lambert get much than the 25% of the fee to spend on players.

Hairyhands (who broke the story on here) reckon CB told the club as soon as the season ended he wasn't staying, so some of the CB cash could have already been invested. - I would be surprised now if we invest more than £6m in a striker before the season starts   ................(All IMO of course)

It's a pretty big turnaround from earlier in the summer when he was reportedly quite happy. Wasn't there a tweet confirming this or was that just a spoof. 

To me it smacks of him getting tapped up. It could easily be through one of his international colleagues but given Arsenal have Vermaelen, Chelsea have Lukaku, Spurs have Dembele and Vertonghen, who knows who it could be. 

I suspect Spurs. 

Chelsea have Lukaku, Hazard, De Bruyne and Courtois. Probably one of them.

Chelsea would be my hunch.

No surprise - in hard analysis there was no reason to stay - he wasn't going to get mega bucks, and the very best he could expect next season was Villa being mid table.

Will be difficult to replace - and I wonder if Lambo might play gabby through the middle - he was looking good towards the end of last season - and would relish the challenge of filling CB'S Boots.

I always expected him to go - but I am looking at Lerner now - If, as I fear the bulk of the fee received isn't re invested I m struggling to see a way forward under him.

Hey smetrov no need to shoot RL just yet mate, give him a chance to say what will happen with the money assuming a mug club be found.

The thing is from the way PL signs unknown players (well to me anyway) I doubt if we will be getting any big name high wage players. Maybe the club already knew when they went in for Helenius that he wanted out.

I'm still looking forward to the coming season, more so than ever as I have faith in this squad and manager. I mean it could be worse I shudder when I think back 2yrs.

ok - but I m not holding my breath. 

Its not only his 19 goals - be he had a hand in 50% of the other goals we scored (I beleive)

If we sell for £20 million and Lambert is given £10 million to replace him then my opinion of Lerner will drop even lower.

We have to be careful how we look at all of the money.

Benteke has £3m of wages for the next three years and if we were to get say £24m for him, we'd find ourselves £27m to the good. Two £5.5m players at £40k a week for four years is £27m gone - but you can guarantee that this place would go mental claiming we hadn't spent it and Lerner had pocketed it because the fees only amount to £11m.

Because of how low his wages are, you can pretty much take whatever fee we get for Benteke and half it for a fair idea of how much it'll give us to spend on transfers.

Why would the money we get for Benteke have to go on paying the entire wages of a replacement?

The money should be made available to sign a player and his wages should be covered by the amount the club make each year from television.

I don't get this thinking at all.

Agreed BJ10, this wages discussion bores the arse off me.

Why could we not use part of Dunne's/ Makoun's/ Warnock's wages etc?

Have we not used that with the 6 players already brought in plus Bakers and Weimanns new contracts.

If we can get rid of Ireland, Bent and Given I would expect a decent investment from any CB sale, otherwise we are looking in the bargain bucket again.

I suspect Spurs. 

Chelsea have Lukaku, Hazard, De Bruyne and Courtois. Probably one of them.

Chelsea would be my hunch.

Yeah I forgot about Hazard. I always think in these situations who does he play with internationally who has tapped him up on behalf of the club but there are so many Belgians in the Premier league it doesn't really help in this case. 

ok - but I m not holding my breath. 

Its not only his 19 goals - be he had a hand in 50% of the other goals we scored (I beleive)

I agree

Whatever player comes in has big boots to fill

I think our best chance is reinvesting money not only on another striker but other areas of the pitch as well

Try and get goals from other positions out wide and centre mid 

Hopefully we will tighten up at the back a bit with Okore so we won't need to score as many goals

Â