Leandro Bacuna

Jordanderve

Only managed the highlights this week, and I've only just watched them.  There was an awful lot of adverse comment about his performance in the match thread, which doesn't seem to be justified at all by what I saw.

Thought he had a good game all through, and of course a free kick to die for.

Bacuna was one of our most standout players for me, if not the most. Definite MOM. Even before he did that free kick. 

He is solid and pacey in defence, so he never got caught out, and he did well going forwards. I think the match thread is the worst place to judge a football match. The angst on there is hilarious.

The Man City match thread contains the now-legendary "Bacuna is not a footballer".

I think in some ways Bacuna could be our new Ashley Young: underwhelming at times, but likely to provide a spark occasionally that changes a game.

"Bacuna is not a footballer" - LOL. That is legendary alright. Too bad I'm too lazy to go and check who said that.

Don't know who wrote that, but I've seen Bacuna have a lot of touches this season that make you wince.

Making it even odder that he seems to have a bit of a deadly FK on him.

Inconsistent technique to say the least.

I think Bacuna will really flourish when he's moved farther forward. It's not that he's wasted at RB, but I think he has far more to offer going forward. His crosses are usually on point, great set piece taker, shown a little bit of skill and pace, strong on the ball.

Looking like another great buy.

What's impressed me most about him(except his freekicks) is that he never seem to get beaten. He looks like winning  every 1 on 1 challenge as a defending player. Correct me if I'm wrong here though. I just feel very safe with him at RB. It's also the possision where he stepped up his game. To me he looked a bit lost in midfield, but this was the early days though and it might have changed by now. Him being pushed further up the pitch changing the game against cardiff might be evident of that. I also feel that Lowton is more creative and technically gifted so Lowton being pushed further up the pitch might be more of a threath. Them combining and overlapping migth turn out to be very dangerous going forward no matter which of them plays at Rb.

Not sure I agree with your assessment that Lowton is more creative and technically gifted. Only time I can remember I defense splitting pass in the league this season was bacuna slipping one in for el-ahmadi's goal against city. Also, think Bacuna has been shown to have excellent technical ability with his crossing, freekicks and I seem to remember him scoring a goal in pre-season where he cut in on his left and stuck it top corner. Only technically proficient part of Lowtons game where he stands out as being good is his crossing which i think he does better from a deeper position so would be more suited to doing so from right back. 

I wouldn't mind seeing Bacuna further forward either as right hand side of 4-4-2 or right hand side of central trio of 4-3-3 when gabby and weimann are back.

To me lowton looks good with the ball at his feet, playing short passess, playing 1-2 and at crossing. Might just be me though.

• Like 1

I think Bacuna will really flourish when he's moved farther forward. It's not that he's wasted at RB, but I think he has far more to offer going forward. His crosses are usually on point, great set piece taker, shown a little bit of skill and pace, strong on the ball.

Looking like another great buy.

What's impressed me most about him(except his freekicks) is that he never seem to get beaten. He looks like winning  every 1 on 1 challenge as a defending player. Correct me if I'm wrong here though. I just feel very safe with him at RB. It's also the possision where he stepped up his game. To me he looked a bit lost in midfield, but this was the early days though and it might have changed by now. Him being pushed further up the pitch changing the game against cardiff might be evident of that. I also feel that Lowton is more creative and technically gifted so Lowton being pushed further up the pitch might be more of a threath. Them combining and overlapping migth turn out to be very dangerous going forward no matter which of them plays at Rb.

Not sure I agree with your assessment that Lowton is more creative and technically gifted. Only time I can remember I defense splitting pass in the league this season was bacuna slipping one in for el-ahmadi's goal against city. Also, think Bacuna has been shown to have excellent technical ability with his crossing, freekicks and I seem to remember him scoring a goal in pre-season where he cut in on his left and stuck it top corner. Only technically proficient part of Lowtons game where he stands out as being good is his crossing which i think he does better from a deeper position so would be more suited to doing so from right back. 

I wouldn't mind seeing Bacuna further forward either as right hand side of 4-4-2 or right hand side of central trio of 4-3-3 when gabby and weimann are back.

To me lowton looks good with the ball at his feet, playing short passess, playing 1-2 and at crossing. Might just be me though.

Not saying Lowton is poor at those things, just that he is average at them and in general bacuna is better at them imo except for crossing. I also think overall Lowton is a better defender despite his form earlier this season. Bacuna depends a bit too much on speed to rescue himself when hes out of position for me.

Not saying Lowton is poor at those things, just that he is average at them and in general bacuna is better at them imo except for crossing. I also think overall Lowton is a better defender despite his form earlier this season. Bacuna depends a bit too much on speed to rescue himself when hes out of position for me.

Fair enough :) I think my judgment of Bacunas technicality is a bit colored by his performance against Liverpool. I've mostly noticed his defensive work since being moved to RB. He's really impressed me there, seems unbeatable at times. But I think you have a very good point with his raw physicality making up for some weak defending at times. However I love seeing players being "runned/ran up"(grammar?) and tackled/muscled off the ball. I think Bacuna and Lowton would compliment and compensate each other, both defensively and offensively if they were to have a right side partnership. Overlaps, One-Twos and Crosses, all over the place! 

Edited by Skruff
  • Like 1

Fair enough :) I think my judgment of Bacunas technicality is a bit colored by his performance against Liverpool. I've mostly noticed his defensive work since being moved to RB. He's really impressed me there, seems unbeatable at times. But I think you have a very good point with his raw physicality making up for some weak defending at times. However I love seeing players being "runned/ran up"(grammar?) and tackled/muscled off the ball. I think Bacuna and Lowton would compliment and compensate each other, both defensively and offensively if they were to have a right side partnership. Overlaps, One-Twos and Crosses, all over the place!

Lambert sure has some tasty combos he can try with these two on the right hand side. Edited by AVTuco

He's now angling towards penalty taking duty with his latest quotes :) Basically 'I won't start a fight with Christian to take them but if I'm asked I'll do it. I took them in Holland'. He might be a cast-iron fantasy league bargain if he starts on those too!

I don't like Benteke's penalty style much, he's more of a placer than a blaster, and I think a good old fashioned shoeing of the ball into one corner or the other is always the way to go.

He's now angling towards penalty taking duty with his latest quotes :) Basically 'I won't start a fight with Christian to take them but if I'm asked I'll do it. I took them in Holland'. He might be a cast-iron fantasy league bargain if he starts on those too!

He's been angling for them since he joined, he's never missed a pen and love his comments, I have no specific technique, I just know i'm going to score.

Tbh I wont give them to Bacuna .. I want his confidence to be high as he is already good in free kicks ..

Anyway in hard games I would start Bacuna as rb with Lowton as rw instead of andi ..

Our most technical players are Bacuna Benteke Lowton Helenius Tonev and maybe Vlaar and Delph ..

Tbh I wont give them to Bacuna .. I want his confidence to be high as he is already good in free kicks ..

Anyway in hard games I would start Bacuna as rb with Lowton as rw instead of andi ..

Our most technical players are Bacuna Benteke Lowton Helenius Tonev and maybe Vlaar and Delph ..

Playing lowton in Andi's position is pure bonkers???!!?

• Like 1

Playing lowton in Andi's position is pure bonkers???!!?

I didnt understand the last word .. anyway it more of 442 or 451 than 433 ..

I don't like Benteke's penalty style much, he's more of a placer than a blaster, and I think a good old fashioned shoeing of the ball into one corner or the other is always the way to go.

Same, he always seem to place them low and to one of the sides which gives the keeper the chance to save if he guesses the right side. I'd rather a more pacey shot put into the inside netting or a blast to one of the sides so even if the keeper does get to it it might still squirm in.

I just rewatched the Cardiff game (no I dont have anything better to do and yes I did enjoy it) bloody hell his performance was amazing. It was like Lowtons against Sunderland, when you start studying it you really see how great he played.

Bacuna was everywhere against Cardiff, impressive.

• Like 2

I just rewatched the Cardiff game (no I dont have anything better to do and yes I did enjoy it) bloody hell his performance was amazing. It was like Lowtons against Sunderland, when you start studying it you really see how great he played.

Bacuna was everywhere against Cardiff, impressive.

Where did you watch the replay?