Aleksander Tonev

HalfTimePost

If he starts tomorrow where would he play, If its a direct replacement for Weimann then that would leave us more exposed down their left.

Well you need to throw Sylla for Westwood to make a good cover defensively .. And give Tonev and Gabby and Delph to do what they must in the attacking area with Benteke main threat ..

If he starts tomorrow where would he play, If its a direct replacement for Weimann then that would leave us more exposed down their left.

I doubt Lambert would sign a player who wouldn't put in a shift defensively.

No-one has said you did.

What you have done however is criticise other posters for making what you would deem negative posts, then berate them for that while having already done that yourself which makes your posts hypocritical.

In reference to your point 'no doubt many on here will be groaning if he does though' did you not learn from your mistake concerning Lambert.

Your judging posters on something they haven't yet done and your reference to 'many' is incorrect as reading through some of the comments concerning Tonev there are a lot of posters actually looking forward to see him play. 

Nope, that's not what I've done at all. You're still missing my original point, probably deliberately.

What "mistake"? Some people will groan if he starts because he's already been judged by some.

Edited by Mantis

I was pretty impressed with Tonev's work in winning the ball back during his brief cameo vs. Spurs. His tackling looks a tad reckless though (which makes him a great fit for our midfield, already Delph and Westwood are on 4 yellows). Seems to me Tonev's best position is on the left wing. I don't think he's got the maturity or decision-making skills (yet) to play through the middle. He can play on the right also but he seems more comfortable on the left to me.

I would like to see him start v. Everton also.

• Like 1

I'm sure they can all put shifts in but it doesn't make them all as good at it. I doubt very much he will start tomorrow anyway. I'm sure Lambert will want to get that front three going again. 

No you have criticised posters for their opinion generally on our club whenever a negative comment is made hence my comment on you being hypocritical when you've done the same yourself concerning Lambert.

I thought he made a good point about prematurely judging players and backed it up with an example. Why not accept you've done it in the past with Benteke and acknowledge Tonev has time to prove people wrong. Or has this little head to head gone too far?
  • Like 1

I'm sure they can all put shifts in but it doesn't make them all as good at it. I doubt very much he will start tomorrow anyway. I'm sure Lambert will want to get that front three going again.

No that's true. I really hope that Benteke can spark the front-three into life. Edited by Isa

No-one has said you did.

What you have done however is criticise other posters for making what you would deem negative posts, then berate them for that while having already done that yourself which makes your posts hypocritical.

In reference to your point 'no doubt many on here will be groaning if he does though' did you not learn from your mistake concerning Lambert.

Your judging posters on something they haven't yet done and your reference to 'many' is incorrect as reading through some of the comments concerning Tonev there are a lot of posters actually looking forward to see him play. 

Nope, that's not what I've done at all. You're still missing my original point, probably deliberately.

What "mistake"? Some people will groan if he starts because he's already been judged by some.

No i'm not missing your original point at all. I engaged you on the basis that you have berated posters for doing exactly what you've previously done and you've tried to deflect that point. At no point in our debate did i accuse you directly of prematurely judging players, rather it was the above point which you have deliberately and continually ignored.

I see you've now changed your stance from 'many' to 'some.' :)  

No you have criticised posters for their opinion generally on our club whenever a negative comment is made hence my comment on you being hypocritical when you've done the same yourself concerning Lambert.

I thought he made a good point about prematurely judging players and backed it up with an example. Why not accept you've done it in the past with Benteke and acknowledge Tonev has time to prove people wrong. Or has this little head to head gone too far?

If you had actually read my previous comments concerning Benteke you would have noted that i have already admitted to being wrong about Benteke on many, many occasions so i would ask you to get your facts right before commenting on the debate.

I also note that you have commented on the poster's example yet ignored my own extensive example which proved my original point that the poster has been very wrong in the past yet he continues to berate posters for negativity when he is actually guilty of it himself.

That has been my clearly stated point throughout the debate and with respect your comments are at best, ill informed and at worst, smack of impartially.  

Edited by Morpheus

with respect your comments are at best, less than impartial and at worst, smack of favouritism.

That's just paranoia. There's no reason for me to favour one poster over another. Mantis has admitted several times in the past page and a half to have made a mistake re- Lambert for example. The discussion seems to have become an exercise in maneuvering out of tight spots. I merely suggested that some contrition can often go a long way and was trying to progress a tiresome 'debate'. But now I've been rumbled that Mantis is my BFF :-P

Its not paranoia at all BOF. (You will note i have edited my comments unfortunately just after you have quoted my post.)

I and other posters have challenged Mantis commenting on poster negativity when he has previously been guilty of it himself and this has happened in several threads.

Being in a tight spot as you put it, he then tries to deflect the question by changing the point of debate.

You will note in this debate that i have not at any time accused Mantis of prematurely judging players but i have however challenged him on general cheap digs at other posters including myself for getting something wrong when he has also been wrong in the past and thats where my hypocritical comment comes from.

Since it is a forum then the poster has a right to state what he wants within site rules but if Mantis continues to berate posters for something he has also done in the past then i and other posters must also reserve the right to engage him on that especially when also backing our own debate. 

There's nothing to disagree with re- what you're saying in terms of the approach being taken. Personally I'd have agreed to disagree long ago but that's neither here nor there. Maybe when Mantis reads that post there can be a small breakthrough :-)

He tracked back really well in the Norwich game. Didn't do great with the ball but was very impressive helping out the fullback

Â