Monaco and their absurd spending

The_Steve

It'll be interesting to see how having two huge spending teams in Ligue 1 will effect the strength of the league.

Scotland springs to mind!

Celtuc and Rangers don't really spend huge amounts compared to other countries though.

Is that figure correct

Average attendance 5,295?

Even Walsall managed to attract 4 and a half thousand

Yeah. Remember the kind of people who live in Monaco. Not the typical football-going types.

It'll be interesting to see how having two huge spending teams in Ligue 1 will effect the strength of the league.

Scotland springs to mind!

Not really.

Spain is probably closer, when you consider the location of the two big clubs (Barcelona and Madrid, Paris and Monaco) and the amount they'll be spending.

Is that figure correct

Population of Walsall:  270,000

Population of Monaco: 35,000

Dunno who would support Monaco, I guess Nice are their local rivals, and Genoa (Italy) isn't that far away either.   They aren't really a club you can judge by everyday standards, they are a rich man's plaything from one of the wealthiest parts of the world.  They really should be a national team like San Marino or Liechtenstein but for some reason they were allowed to field a team in the French leagues. 

Probably 300 quid to get in.

A season ticket worked out at £1.71 (€2) per match last season as far as I can tell. 

Individual match tickets seem to be £4 (€5) if you sit in the corners going up to £25 (€30) if you want to sit on the half way line.  Away tickets are all £4 (€5)

Edited by The_Rev

Is that figure correct

Population of Walsall:  270,000

Population of Monaco: 35,000

Dunno who would support Monaco, I guess Nice are their local rivals, and Genoa (Italy) isn't that far away either.   They aren't really a club you can judge by everyday standards, they are a rich man's plaything from one of the wealthiest parts of the world.  They really should be a national team like San Marino or Liechtenstein but for some reason they were allowed to field a team in the French leagues. 

Probably 300 quid to get in.

A season ticket worked out at £1.71 (€2) per match last season as far as I can tell. 

Individual match tickets seem to be £4 (€5) if you sit in the corners going up to £25 (€30) if you want to sit on the half way line.  Away tickets are all £4 (€5)

I wasn't far off then.............

How are they ever going to be a financially sound club (and get to play in european competitions) with that "fan base"? It's seems odd to me., they would have to be bankrolled for a very long time. With Chelsea, Man City and PSG, as must as I despise their way of rising to the top, at least they have long term plans that seems reasonable.

Interesting article but I still don't see how the player has no choice.

If he didn't want to go to Monaco and made that perfectly clear then Monaco aren't going to pay all that money for someone who doesn't want to be there.

French clubs very upset with Monaco, understandably so. The two different tax laws mean that it costs Monaco less than a third of what it costs other French teams to pay a player the same net salary. Ligue 1 have implemented a law stating that all clubs in the top flight have to be registered in France for tax purposes, but Monaco are fighting that as a violation of European law. 

Interesting article but I still don't see how the player has no choice.

If he didn't want to go to Monaco and made that perfectly clear then Monaco aren't going to pay all that money for someone who doesn't want to be there.

Yeah this staggers me a bit.

You're a person with a job, not an investment portfolio.

Surely there is a way for players to get out of these things. I know he probably doesn't care when he's on 300k a week but it all seems a bit off to me.

Thing is they never kicked up a fuss before when Monaco were in the league (or did they?)

I remember they sort of did a few years ago when Morientes turned down Lyon for Monaco but they had 10 years to react and never did so its teh leagues fault for not amending their rules then

Â