2013 UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship

CI

What a mess, another ten years doom and gloom for England. Quite how the FA have managed to screw up our international teams is beyond believe.

1996 was the last time I watched us with any belief, it was villa and England for me. I don't give a hoot about Englandvnow. The London mafia have killed em, Wembley is a soulless flatpack stadium and the team's full of players who could have been great, but like icerarus they were drawn to the bright lights far to young.

The interesting question is that are young english players shit because they don't get to play in the first teams or don't they get to play because they are so shit? I am surprised that neither Westwood or Baker didn't get picked up since they actually played a lot in PL this season, as I was looking through the england u21 squad I noticed that many of them played in championship during the season.

Pearce is just favouring the bigger clubs with a hope of getting a coaching roll there, we have by far the best academy in the UK and he choose to ignore this.......Good luck Pearce hear Wigan and Wolves are still looking.

Yeah, so it seems, it's a big shame as this tournament would help those Norwich, Villa and Fulham players and utterly inept headcoach doesn't help. What I have really noticed in english players who have come in the past 13 years, they all lack the spark and technique of Beckham and espcially Gazza, so rigid and lack of the passion Gazza, Shearer and others seemed to have.

• Like 1

The problem with english players is that when starting their pro careers if they show a tenancy for flair its normally coached out of them.

But coach i want to hit a forty yard pass. No lad just play it simple.

• Like 1

The problem with english players is that when starting their pro careers if they show a tenancy for flair its normally coached out of them.

What does that even mean? look at the Barca and Spain players, they usually just play it short and simple with quick movement and intelligent runs , a man is always free. Our players are tactically poor in terms of how they think on the pitch. 

Edited by AVFCforever1991

Hitting 40 yard hollywood balls IS the problem. Just learning how to keep the ball under pressure and find a player would be a good start. 

• Like 1

They do very well in qualifying, when it's during the season and teams don't mind young players going off to get game time, but come the end of the season clubs become protective and/or the better young players are pushed by the media toward the full team, which leaves Pearce in a shitty situation.

I`ll say it again, when are we going to get wijnaldum?

and he scores again. getting a small boner feel from this guy so far. Would be an awesome name to have on the shirt as well, that name is freaking bad ass.

What does that even mean? look at the Barca and Spain players, they usually just play it short and simple with quick movement and intelligent runs , a man is always free. Our players are tactically poor in terms of how they think on the pitch. 

Hitting 40 yard hollywood balls IS the problem. Just learning how to keep the ball under pressure and find a player would be a good start. 

Lets just say then for the sake of argument english players can do neither at the moment.

who was our old chief scout? Ian something?

we had this arguement a few years back when MON was in charge, he came out and basically said that he doesnt bother with these because if you were seeing a player for the 1st time at this tournament then your scouting system isnt very good

FWIW i agree with him, id be disappointed if our scouts werent at the U17/19/20 tournaments this summer but not overly fussed about them not being at the U21s, same with WC, you shouldnt be discovering players at a WC, you should know who everyone is already

who was our old chief scout? Ian something?

we had this arguement a few years back when MON was in charge, he came out and basically said that he doesnt bother with these because if you were seeing a player for the 1st time at this tournament then your scouting system isnt very good

FWIW i agree with him, id be disappointed if our scouts werent at the U17/19/20 tournaments this summer but not overly fussed about them not being at the U21s, same with WC, you shouldnt be discovering players at a WC, you should know who everyone is already

Ian Broomfield? He's there for QPR!!

Edited by AndyClarke

ian storey moore is who i meant -

If you go to the World Cup hoping to unearth the next Wayne Rooney you've already missed the bus," said Aston Villa chief scout Ian Storey-Moore, who prioritised May's Under-21 Toulon Tournament ahead of the World Cup in his search for the next wave of talent.

"With the possible exception of North Korea, virtually every member of every squad will be well-known by clubs before a ball has been kicked.

"Occasionally, a player you've never heard of catches your eye but buying on the basis of one tournament is incredibly dangerous. It's easy to get seduced by the spectacle of a major competition but it's the cold light of a November midweek game that will provide the true test.

"World Cups are a culmination of many months' hard work. You're following pre-targeted players and discovering how they cope at the highest level. This is the final test."

Â