Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Olympiakos offered £2 million for Tomas Rosicky of Arsenal. I may be a wee bit biased here, but for £2 million we should be trying to sign him. When healthy, he is still one of arsenal's best midfielders and probably one of the most creative midfielders in the league.. He was a major reason as to why Arsenal turned their season around and got the final champions league spot.

Plus we desperately need this type of player. We can hopefully get a couple of seasons out of him then pass the torch onto the likes of Carruthers, Gardner, Delph and Westwood.

Nope and nope. Days of signing peoples cast offs are gone thankfully

Cast off? You clearly don't watch Rosicky play at all. Wenger said he wants to keep Rosicky at the club for many reasons. He is not a cast off by any stretch. He starts when he is fit or is one of the first players off the bench. 

Doesn`t change the fact that he is 32. But I agree, he is a great player and he would improve our team. Not a lambert signing at all though, there are other better options out there that is younger, even if they are more expensive. 

Doesn`t change the fact that he is 32. But I agree, he is a great player and he would improve our team. Not a lambert signing at all though, there are other better options out there that is younger, even if they are more expensive. 

I agree but I really think we need some type of veteran around the club. I know Lambert wants young hungry players, but you need some older players in the squad. Those are the players you turn to when the times get tough. 

• Like 1

Veteran or not, 2m for a player of that quality is crazy good value. Unless he asks for stupid wages.

That said:

1. Don't think Wenger would sell at that price

2. Will he have the same hunger and drive to succeed if he takes a step down to play for a club at our current level?

would anyone take Gareth Barry back??

yes, he's advancing in years but would be a good mentor to our very youthful midfield and can still obviously play week in week out.

Apparently he seems content on seeing his contract out at Man City (1 year left) and they won't offer him a new one.

If he is to come back it would be on a free transfer which would be ok.. I wouldn't pay for him though especially as City seem quite keen to move on from him but that's in a year time.

• Like 1

wayne hennessey would be a good choice as a second option

Watched him in the Youth Cup Final v Everton with Wayne Rooney in their side. A product of the Villa youth system who knows all about our set up perhaps wouldn't be a bad call if he is available.

Would still like to see us move for Kaspar Schmeichal though, especially if it's only Hull in the running for his signature.

That was Wayne Henderson that played in goal for us

Rumours Wanyama 10m bid accepted from Southampton. He is EXACTLY what we need, a destroyer DM/CB. Only 21 and I would hope with Lambert's Celtic links he would have an advantage over other bidders. This is the big name signing we need IMO.

Edited by VERB27
  • Like 1

would anyone take Gareth Barry back??

yes, he's advancing in years but would be a good mentor to our very youthful midfield and can still obviously play week in week out.

No and neither would our manager.

Barry is too slow now and would stick out like a sore thumb in our new team for all the wrong reasons.

Rumours Wanyama 10m bid accepted from Southampton. He is EXACTLY what we need, a destroyer DM/CB. Only 21 and I would hope with Lambert's Celtic links he would have an advantage over other bidders. This is the big name signing we need IMO.

big name signings get a few hundred if not a couple of thousands of extra season ticket sales, and would have hundreds outside Villa Park awaiting his arrival. Not sure Wanyama (good player though he is) would do that. 

We have Delph and Sylla that can play the sort of role Wanyama does. I wouldn't go after him at that price.

We need a more creative attacking option, but he does have to have that height and presence.

Whilst I would agree, we saw last season that our biggest problem is defending. With the addition of Wanyama and Okore we would certainly be well on our way to abolishing those weaknesses. In my opinion, similarly with Okore, Wanyama is relatively low risk because at 21 he will surely command a higher transfer fee in the future than what we pay for him. 

As you say though, it is getting the right balance between defensive additions and attacking additions. To me, it definitely looks as though we need more defensive additions.   

Edited by VERB27

I agree but I really think we need some type of veteran around the club. I know Lambert wants young hungry players, but you need some older players in the squad. Those are the players you turn to when the times get tough.

I couldn't disagree more. The last thing I want is older players.

• Like 3

We have Delph and Sylla that can play the sort of role Wanyama does. I wouldn't go after him at that price.

We need a more creative attacking option, but he does have to have that height and presence.

Whilst I would agree, we saw last season that our biggest problem is defending. With the addition of Wanyama and Okore we would certainly be well on our way to abolishing those weaknesses. In my opinion, similarly with Okore, Wanyama is relatively low risk because at 21 he will surely command a higher transfer fee in the future than what we pay for him.

As you say though, it is getting the right balance between defensive additions and attacking additions. To me, it definitely looks as though we need more defensive additions.

Agree with this would be perfect for us, his presence would tighten us up, it would also allow Delph and westy to go forward more.

Wanyama would definitely tick a few boxes with Lambert....but the price?

3m more than Benteke and would arguably have the same impact, albeit slightly harder to identify because he is defensive and therefore we can't measure his presence on goals scored etc. He's also played in the champions league etc and is a more matured 21 year old if that makes sense. I see no disadvantages really, the price is steep yes, but I can guarantee if Southampton or `Cardiff sign him he will be one of their best players next season. 

The way it's looking to me is that we offer them 8m and Bannan, win win.

• Like 1