Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Am I the only one who is a little underwhelmed by the arrivals so far ? (Okore excepted)

Umm no, I know where you're coming from.

I'm more concerned about flooding a developing squad with too many foreigners, time will tell though. I am just a little concerned that instead of building on a promising end to last year, we will have another season of adjusting to a high number of new players entering the squad.

I disagree. The players last year will have completely settled in and formed an understanding,

These players coming in will have a WHOLE pre-season to begin settling in. 

I think the pre-season thing is a bit of a myth.

Which is why I will not watch any of our pre-season games :) 

Yes a pre-season not organised by PL on where to go, he himself admitted saying that he did not want to go to US, but it was arranged prior to him getting there. He has alot more options this season and remember last season we didn't even have Benteke.

Which is why I am a tiny bit concerned at the number of players we're bringing in. I'm not saying it will be a bad move by Lambert, but it could disrupt our progress.

Would you have rather not strengthened at all?

I also doubt all of these players are going to go straight in and take the places of others in the first team straight away. They're there to provide competition or substitutes 

Again that's not what I'm saying. I also didn't say that I wasn't in favour of the signings.

I merely said that it is a concern that the influx of new players may disrupt our progress as a team. I am happy that we are strengthening, and I can see the logic behind all of our signings, but my enthusiasm is tempered by the disruption it could cause. Personally, I wouldn't want to see many more signings other than a couple more lower league gems.

Am I the only one who is a little underwhelmed by the arrivals so far ? (Okore excepted)

What were you expecting. At least with these type of signings there's the hope that some of them might be good enough. The only thing that worries me is that we'll end up with a big squad full of cheap turd that we can't get rid of. Lambert has to sign 2-3 players that he knows will slot straight into our first team and improve us, and maybe he thinks Okore/Luna will do this. If he does that we'll be top half next year.

I don't think it'll disrupt things that much. Assuming Helenius and Luna sign I still don't think our best starting 11 will change that much. If Benteke stays then the only changes I can see are Luna in for Bennett and Okore in for Baker. Mostly I think we'll be replacing people like Ireland and Bent with young and hungry players and to me that can only be a good thing.

Of course, players can force their way into the side but that's healthy competition.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

And Jesus lined up His 4 defenders in the box, for a corner was to be taken. And Jesus said unto His 4 defenders "one of you will betray me". The 4 defenders did protest, for they loved Him. But Jesus was looking into the eyes of St. Bennett, for Jesus knew it was he who would betray Him. But His look was one of love and one of forgiveness. And Jesus said unto St. Bennett "fear not, my child. We go again".

Will probably get told off for this but had to re-post this one purely for the class factor. So now we need to talk about Jesus for a minute to justify my actions.

The squad would be so bare without these additions.

According to wiki we have 31 in the squad at the moment with Hutton & Delfouneso on loan. So 33, but then factor in the either likely sales or unlikely game time for Hutton, Given, Bent & Ireland and we are down to 29.

Then you have Carruthers, Johnson, Burke & Williams all who have played either no games or very little with the first team, down to 25.

Then you have more established graduates who have big question marks over, Albrighton, Herd, Bannan, Delfouneso, Gardner, brings us down to 20.

Before looking at players who were in and out of the team, Clark, Holman, NZogbia, Bowery, El Ahmadi, Stevens, brings us down to 14 players, Guzan, Lowton, Baker, Vlaar, Bennett, Westwood, Sylla, Delph, Gabby, Andi, Benteke & the 3 new boys!

TBH I hope the last one is English.

Flooding the team with good foreigners is fine with me, up to a point, but I dont want us to turn into the next Arsenal.

I would absolutely bloody love to turn into the next Arsenal. I'm past caring, little England can swivel. It's just the Villa for me now.

OK maybe Arsenal was a bad example, what about turning into the next Wigan? 

TBH I hope the last one is English.

Flooding the team with good foreigners is fine with me, up to a point, but I dont want us to turn into the next Arsenal.

I would absolutely bloody love to turn into the next Arsenal. I'm past caring, little England can swivel. It's just the Villa for me now.

OK maybe Arsenal was a bad example, what about turning into the next Wigan?

I'll still go to the games, so we only need one other (and a dog) and we're already beyond Wigan. ;)

If the question is do I want us to be shit then the answer is no. But I'm not entirely sure what the nationality of our players has to do with that.

I am perfectly happy with what we have done so far. My guess is that there will be 2 or 3 more to come after Helenius and Luna, and these will be shaped by who goes and what Lambert see's in pre-season. I also suspect that these could be more obvious first starters than some of the others who have arrived so far.

The club have backed Lambert in getting in some younger players who appear to have differing levels of potential, which is no doubt reflected in in the transfer fees paid and wages they are on. If we weren't doing this, I would be very unhappy.

Its also worth noting that last year nobody was expecting Benteke to replace Bent and actually be potentially good enough to play for any of the top four! We know next to nothing about any of our signings again this year but after the last lot I have full faith in Lamberts ability to pick out a few quality signings. We would all like a marquee signing but IMO we got 2 in Vlaar and Benteke last season. We just didnt know it at the time.

Groningen have confirmed that they have received an offer for Holland Under-21 international defender Virgil Van Dijk, with Celtic widely reported to be the bidding club.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8780425/Transfer-news-Groningen-have-received-an-offer-for-defender-Virgil-Van-Dijk

at 6 foot 4, this fella wouldnt be a bad addition!