Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Interesting how other clubs fans perceive our transfer dealings, I've had a bit of a tour around a few messageboards and there are some odd opinions.

Sunderland fans think we are thick because Okore looks shit in the v Chelsea video but no Villa fan has picked up on that 'fact'. Baffling

Just looked at RTG. Every other post seems to be "**** off". I feel significantly less intelligent after browsing for five minutes.

Wow, being a Villa fan right now is great! Even those (fairly) not gushing in priase are only being cautious!

For me, I think PL knows who he wants and is going out and getting them whenever he can. Last season Ireland, Hutton, Warnock, Dunne, Makoun, Petrov, Delfouneso and to a lesser degree Given and Bent played no part in our squad, whilst the likes of KEA, Holman, Zog and Bannan had limited roles. Losing them does not affect the team; adding those we have already strengtens the team as it creates a baseline of performance that the current players cannot drop below without being dropped. This in itself will help.

Also, as has been pointed out by many, the likes of Westwood, Lowton, Guzan, Benteke, Weimann, Clark, Baker, Vlaar, Bennett and even Sylla now have the fabled premier league experience, and will be better for it. I do think that Bennett will improve vastly next season, as he has some more experience and (hopefully) will have a full pre-season behind him, which he didn't have last year because he was injured.

And remeber, our form in the last couple of month of last season was not relegation form - it was top 8 form. With additions, why should that not continue?

The 'news' today that Ireland is free to leave, whilst obviously not being news, shows that someone related tro the club is trying to shift him, and the others presumably. The club needs to keep an eye on finances, but Lerner clearly trusts Lambert, and the players who have left so far have freed up enough money to allow purchases to be made. I suspect that once (if) the likes of Bent, Ireland and Given have gone, plus a few others who are surplus to requirments, we will see more signings, probably with one or two 'marquee' signings in there.

I am so positive about the next few years right now, more than I have been since MON first joined. Top 10 for me already next season :cheers:

Its also worth remembering, Lambert was expecting to have Ireland, Bent and Dunne in his squad. Fit and raring to go. Bent was named as captain but they obviously fell out. Dunne was expected back quickly. Ireland, well, he was expected to show up.

So he probably thought he was in a much better place than he actually was.

This season, it's pretty clear that his expectations of his squad will be more accurate, even if there is an unfortunate injury.

Our squad finished last season battling relegation

Or if you look at it another way, we were constantly in the top 7 of the form guide January onwards.

Bring back the beard!!!!

T6jfedh.jpg

Has left Villareal. I know it's the complete opposite to Lambert's type of signing but might work as a player/coach role? Plus he has a beard, that alone should be enough.

• Like 4

Bring back the beard!!!!

T6jfedh.jpg

Has left Villareal. I know it's the complete opposite to Lambert's type of signing but might work as a player/coach role? Plus he has a beard, that alone should be enough.

Let's not, I'd prefer to remember him in his prime.

Those of a similar generation to me may remember Andy Gray in his second spell for us, he was way past his best and a pale shadow of the player who terrorised centre halves in his first spell.

Saw a rumour (almost certainly BS) that Chelsea are after Luke Shaw.

If that is the case they it would be great if we enquired about Betrand.

No doubt he'd cost a bit of money but would surely still meet the Lambert criteria !

NOOO! overrated.

No doubt he'd cost a bit of money but would surely still meet the Lambert criteria !

NOOO! overrated.

Eh? Bertrand would be superb. And IIRC we enquired about him last season before he broke into the Chelsea side. So we do have previous...

Am I only one who thinks we might have a bigger player to be revealed during the kit launch?

or a bigger player renewing his contract? 

Or both? ;)

Am I only one who thinks we might have a bigger player to be revealed during the kit launch?

Or both? ;)

Every summer, people speculate whether a new player will be magically revealed, to great dramatic effect, during the kit launch.  And that has never happened, at least not while I've followed the Villa, so I don't expect it to happen this season either.

NOOO! overrated.

Eh? Bertrand would be superb. And IIRC we enquired about him last season before he broke into the Chelsea side. So we do have previous...

Wouldn't mind if this was a loan tbh. The system is there to use, better Bertrand than Dawkins??

No one signed today?? Typical for Villa lazy fekkers have had a POETS day!!!

Or both? ;)

Or both? ;)

Every summer, people speculate whether a new player will be magically revealed, to great dramatic effect, during the kit launch.  And that has never happened, at least not while I've followed the Villa, so I don't expect it to happen this season either.

Schmeichel????

Wouldn't mind if this was a loan tbh. The system is there to use, better Bertrand than Dawkins??

No one signed today?? Typical for Villa lazy fekkers have had a POETS day!!!

Nah loans are a last resort in emergency situations IMO. I'd rather go for someone else than loan Bertrand. In fact if given the choice I'd rather we just developed Bennett than loaned Bertrand to be perfectly honest. The thoughts of handing back a fully-developed Premier League player to his parent club at the end of the season are too much. I can still imagine the troll-grin we got from Levy when they took Walker back, even allowing for what he did for us.