Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Do Celtic have to go through CL qualifiers this year? Because if a player is going there just for champions league football, it could be a couple of games early in the season then nothing but an uncompetitive SPL the rest of the year.

Yes, they go into the 2nd qualifying round and then a 3rd qualifying round before the groups. They're currently 2nd seeds in the 2nd qualy round behind BATE Borisov and assuming all goes to form would be 2nd seeds in the 3rd round too. So they should go through if there are no surprises.

EDIT : There's a FOURTH qualy round! They'd be 2nd seeds in that too but it's not exactly full of muppets. Likely to be sides like Dinamo Zagreb, Partizan Belgrade, Austria Vienna, Legia Warsaw. Sides capable of upsetting Celtic.

where does the 4th placed English side enter? I could look this up myself of course, but it seems like you've done your homework.

Getting given, ireland, hutton off the books is more important than bent, those contribute nothing, at least when db plays he scores. Anything below £8 million were being mugged off.

6 goals in 23 games this season argues otherwise. I'd much rather take a punt on Austin than play Bent.

More than a bit harsh.

When played he has had to deal with a system that clearly doesn't suit him and does those 23 appearances include substitutions?

The point was 'when DB plays he scores'. My post was nothing about his ability, just stating that the assertation in the previous post isn't true.

Do Celtic have to go through CL qualifiers this year? Because if a player is going there just for champions league football, it could be a couple of games early in the season then nothing but an uncompetitive SPL the rest of the year.

Yes, they go into the 2nd qualifying round and then a 3rd qualifying round before the groups. They're currently 2nd seeds in the 2nd qualy round behind BATE Borisov and assuming all goes to form would be 2nd seeds in the 3rd round too. So they should go through if there are no surprises.

EDIT : There's a FOURTH qualy round! They'd be 2nd seeds in that too but it's not exactly full of muppets. Likely to be sides like Dinamo Zagreb, Partizan Belgrade, Austria Vienna, Legia Warsaw. Sides capable of upsetting Celtic.

where does the 4th placed English side enter? I could look this up myself of course, but it seems like you've done your homework.

a special round for other teams that didnt win league but qualified champions league

For me the obvious replacement for Bent is Weimann.

I am certain we will be looking to add more depth to the wide attacker position which will mean Andy is fighting for that spot and Bent's role. i.e if we want to change it up to 2 up front.

In my opinion we will be looking for Benteke Mk2 he will clearly be off next summer so it would be nice if we had an understudy ready.

Someone mentioned that Cornelius in Denmark a few pages back - looks decent but what do I know only going off YouTube sure PL is in a good position to make the choice.

We've all heard the rumours about Bent and a rift in the dressing room so maybe it's best he does go, also he doesn't fit into our system too well. But £4m is a pisstake . No less than £8m and ideally £10-12m for a proven goal scorer who has a good 4 years left in him

Getting given, ireland, hutton off the books is more important than bent, those contribute nothing, at least when db plays he scores. Anything below £8 million were being mugged off.

6 goals in 23 games this season argues otherwise. I'd much rather take a punt on Austin than play Bent.

More than a bit harsh.

When played he has had to deal with a system that clearly doesn't suit him and does those 23 appearances include substitutions?

The point was 'when DB plays he scores'. My post was nothing about his ability, just stating that the assertation in the previous post isn't true.

Ignorant post, and you should know it too.

Playing here and there, not knowing if he will enter the pitch or start the game on any given Saturday, no wonder he is off pace. He is not Javier Hernandez who knows he will get on after 75 minutes, Darren Bent wants to start every game and when we create chances he will score lots no doubt about it. 808 minutes on the pitch this season, 8 starts and 8 as a sub, cannot judge him on his goals alone IMO. Our attack reaked most of the season except for Benteke, all the way from our midfield, wingers and other strikers. We were among the worst attacking teams until very late in the season when we suddenly scored 9 goals against Stoke and Sunderland, so perhaps Bent should have played a whole lot more. The "system" he does not fit into is always spoken about, but what does it matter when the system is obviously the apparant failure.

a special round for other teams that didnt win league but qualified champions league

Yeah they enter the 4th qualy round for non-champions so they can't get Celtic. The non-Champions round is tougher than the Champions round at that point because those champions are from weaker leagues whereas those non-Champions tend to be from the powerful leagues.

ALEXSANDAR TONEV will let Celtic know in the next 24 hours if he has agreed to sign up for their Champions League adventure.

Yesterday Record Sport exclusively revealed Tonev’s club Lech Poznan are on the brink of agreeing a £2million deal.

Wow only 2 million. Worth the gamble. I hope we are in for him. He looks quality on his Youtube highlight real :D

Theres also an article saying Bannan is available for 2 million. Celtic interested.

The Sun are reporting that we have beaten a "host" of clubs to Tonev's signature

guess we will have to wait and see

I cannot understand why players go to Celtic

Is the champions league that much of a pull

Is it because they want an easy ride do people think they get offered the kind of wages that prem teams fork out?

Surely as a young player you would want to test your mettle and play in one of the best leagues in the world

Heck they do not even have the old firm derby's to look forward to up there anymore playing sides such as Aberdeen and Hibernian really must be a mouth watering prospect

Edited by AshVilla

We've all heard the rumours about Bent and a rift in the dressing room so maybe it's best he does go, also he doesn't fit into our system too well. But £4m is a pisstake . No less than £8m and ideally £10-12m for a proven goal scorer who has a good 4 years left in him

what rumours? their was a twitter comment allegedly last year which JuileB saw and started calling him a poison in the dressing room for no resaon

ALEXSANDAR TONEV will let Celtic know in the next 24 hours if he has agreed to sign up for their Champions League adventure.

Yesterday Record Sport exclusively revealed Tonev’s club Lech Poznan are on the brink of agreeing a £2million deal.

Wow only 2 million. Worth the gamble. I hope we are in for him. He looks quality on his Youtube highlight real :D

Theres also an article saying Bannan is available for 2 million. Celtic interested.

The Sun are reporting that we have beaten a "host" of clubs to Tonev's signature

guess we will have to wait and see

Classic "Sun"

We've all heard the rumours about Bent and a rift in the dressing room

Have we?

only thing I heard is Lambert makes the worst performer in training wear a yellow jacket or something and that when Bent was awarded it he stormed off and had a big ruck with Lambert over it

not heard anything about his team mates though