Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

So funny.

After the fabulous work that lambert has done in the transfer market he has earned the trust to get which players he feels are right for us. If that's spearing then fine by me.

Bennett and KEA are atrocious, Vlaar is a dodgy centre back, Bowery is way out of his depth, Westwood is hit and miss so I wouldnt Lambert is fabulous in the transfer market.

He found Lowton and Benteke who have impressed but he could just as easily find us another Bennett and god forbid he does that again. I am not so sure signing people who Liverpool think wont cut it is a wise idea. We need some real quality in the middle of the park and at centre back.

I appreciate we're all entitled to our own opinion first of all.

My opinion is Vlaar is being judged too early, it's his first season in the PL and he suffered an injury mid way through. I'm hopeful he will be much improved next season.

KEA and Bennett look ropey, i wouldn't expect an improvement from KEA but Bennett is still young enough to improve.

It's unfair to judge Bowery as he's seen so little game time.

With Westwood i'd say he's been far more hit than miss.

Lowton and Benteke speak for themselves they've been superb.

if we're talking about Lambert's eye for a player, lest we not forget Sylla, who played a very important role in the run-in at the end of the season, and the re-signing of Guzan at the start.

Guzan

Lowton

Bennett

Vlaar

Sylla

KEA

Dawkins (loan)

Westwood

Bowery

Benteke

6 out of those 10 have improved the team imo, with Bennett and KEA with the potential to improve after a full season and pre-season in the PL. Dawkins will go back to his club and Bowery at worst has cost very little money, and again will benefit from a full season at a much higher level than he's used to.

As a collective, they're all worth much more now than when signed - which makes a nice change at the Villa.

It's incredible all this talk of Lescott & Sinclair have we not had our fingers burned already with City's cast offs, Dunne, Given, Ireland.

I get what you're saying but I don't think it is that fair. By and large I think Dunne has been a good servant for us and he's given his all. As for Given, he's a good goalkeeper, he'e just not as good as he used to be and Guzan is turning into one of the best. It isn't really Given's fault we were dumb enough to give him an expensive 5 year contract.

I agree we shouldn't be thinking of Lescott. As for Sinclair however, he is still a great player - he's just been bought by City and then completely abandoned.

That's a fair point but I'd question what has Lescott got to motivate him by joining Villa he has already won a PL medal, played for his country and in the Champions League, while no doubt earning mega bucks to do so. If he was to come to Villa which I don't see happening at all, unless it was some kind of loan deal where we paid 50% of his wages, what would he have to prove. It was different with Dunne, he'd be tossed to one side, never played Champions League, wanted to go all out and prove City they were wrong to let him go, and he almost got there but when eventually it resulted that we had no chance of getting there, he lost all his motivation, got into scraps and was just plain woeful. You could say them same about Warnock, at the end of the day when you know you're passed you're best you've got to think about how can you maintain your current income as long as possible, it was in Dunne's interests to sit here and collect 60k a week, one of the promoted teams will see him as a leader and punt on him and give him a 2 year deal on big money, then he can retire. Lescott will have no motivation here at all I'd much rather get a lad who wants to play in the Premier League, will be on 15% of the wages and might just have the potential to get into his national team.

I don't feel sorry for Crewe. They have a great set up and continue to produce players for nothing and sell them on for outrageous profits. In a world where lower league clubs can hardly afford to pay wages, it's really refreshing to see one know how to do and be successful. Remember that they're progressing really well. Promotion last season and mid table this one.

Arguably if they keep producing the players and selling them and others step in and continue the progression, they could keep moving up the leagues.

They won't move up the leagues with that model because your youth products don't improve commensurate with your league status. Your youth will always be capable of stepping in at lower league one or league two level. So they can only ever go so high with their current model if they're selling and re-stocking from the kids. And it's a model Dario G has had them using for a generation now. It is self-sufficient and makes them sustainable; and it gets them great respect; but it's hard to see them ever breaking into the Championship or certainly the PL unless they tweak something. But maybe they don't want to.

They lost Powell and Westwood who scraped them into league 1 but this season they've finished mid table. I think that shows that their products can keep stepping up.

EDIT: and I know that's what you said but there's definitely evidence of progression.

Edited by StefanAVFC

So funny.

After the fabulous work that lambert has done in the transfer market he has earned the trust to get which players he feels are right for us. If that's spearing then fine by me.

Bennett and KEA are atrocious, Vlaar is a dodgy centre back, Bowery is way out of his depth, Westwood is hit and miss so I wouldnt Lambert is fabulous in the transfer market.

He found Lowton and Benteke who have impressed but he could just as easily find us another Bennett and god forbid he does that again. I am not so sure signing people who Liverpool think wont cut it is a wise idea. We need some real quality in the middle of the park and at centre back.

I appreciate we're all entitled to our own opinion first of all.

My opinion is Vlaar is being judged too early, it's his first season in the PL and he suffered an injury mid way through. I'm hopeful he will be much improved next season.

KEA and Bennett look ropey, i wouldn't expect an improvement from KEA but Bennett is still young enough to improve.

It's unfair to judge Bowery as he's seen so little game time.

With Westwood i'd say he's been far more hit than miss.

Lowton and Benteke speak for themselves they've been superb.

if we're talking about Lambert's eye for a player, lest we not forget Sylla, who played a very important role in the run-in at the end of the season, and the re-signing of Guzan at the start.

Guzan

Lowton

Bennett

Vlaar

Sylla

KEA

Dawkins (loan)

Westwood

Bowery

Benteke

6 out of those 10 have improved the team imo, with Bennett and KEA with the potential to improve after a full season and pre-season in the PL. Dawkins will go back to his club and Bowery at worst has cost very little money, and again will benefit from a full season at a much higher level than he's used to.

As a collective, they're all worth much more now than when signed - which makes a nice change at the Villa.

Can't believe I forgot Sylla-he looks to be a good signing and I look forward to seeing him improve further next season.

Guzan is in the Lowton/Benteke bracket for me. A truly superb (re) signing.

They lost Powell and Westwood who scraped them into league 1 but this season they've finished mid table. I think that shows that their products can keep stepping up.

EDIT: and I know that's what you said but there's definitely evidence of progression.

I also implied there is a ceiling though. And IMHO they're reaching it.

I also implied there is a ceiling though. And IMHO they're reaching it.

We'll have to see :)

I can see why Lambert might like someone like Spearing.  I don't think he's as bad a player as people think, he probably gets a bit of a stick for being ugly and Scouse but he knows how to tackle, works hard, will probably be quite cheap.  I'd rather have him in the squad than Herd or Bannan tbh.

I'd spend a bit more and go for Shelvey. I think he's really under-rated. From what I've seen of Spearing, he's a thug with limited ability.

I'd spend a bit more and go for Shelvey. I think he's really under-rated. From what I've seen of Spearing, he's a thug with limited ability.

So what ever happened to McCann, anyway?

I don't think Shelvey is that good at all. Would rather see neither here to be honest.

I must be alone in thinking KEA looks pretty good, I can't understand why he didn't get more games.

I thought he was one of our better players in the first few games of the season - not saying much I know but he looked neat and tidy. I think when we kept losing and the pressure was turned up his performances started to drop. I think he's worth another season. Delph, Westwood, and Sylla have played their way into the side and improved massively once they've got there - don't see why KEA couldn't do the same.

• Like 1

I think KEA is decent. But in the same way that Berson and (on a different level) Veron were, he maybe just doesn't suit the PL.

• Like 1

I don't see why people are so against Lescott, the boy is a quality centre back. He starts for England and had a very good Euro 2012 campaign. Had a bit of an off season last year but he'll definitely improve our defence. However he won't come as we won't be able to reach his wage demands. 

I think KEA is decent. But in the same way that Berson and (on a different level) Veron were, he maybe just doesn't suit the PL.

The deep lying tidy-upper who's not great at tackling is largely redundant in the PL, I agree.

There's just a different mentality about the game here. Xabi Alonso was saying in a interview recently about the English style - that it's one of the only leagues where the crowd cheers for a great tackle or a classic reducer. In Spain tackling is frowned upon because it means you lost possession.

Edited by El-Reacho

article-1041727-015F387E000004B0-408_468

Still around...

article-1041727-015F387E000004B0-408_468

Still around...

didnotjust.jpg