Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

If we did get Mertens, who would you lot want him to replace? Gabby or Weimann?

Or do you reckon we'll completely change our formation again?

Doubt we will get Mertens, but I'd personally drop Weimann out of the two.

Getting some more forwards in would be as much about being able to rest and rotate players as it would be about dropping any. That is a real problem at the moment, we have very little beyond our established front three.

Spot on, jon. It would also keep Gabby and Andi on their toes and help out through any injuries/suspensions. Mertens is a different sort of player though, and it's good to have options. It is not the first place I would look to strengthen, but I think it would help us. That being said, I don't believe in this rumor at all.

Just seen that Santana is leaving Dortmund - could be useful for a couple of years at most?

Widely known in Germany that he will be moving to Schalke.

What ever happened to Eikrem? 22 years of age, can play anywhere in midfield. Didn't have a great season last time around I don't think but there could be a reason why?

He's at Molde in Norway. Solskjaer's club. Doing very well there (although the club have had a bad start to the season this year). I like him a bunch as an upgrade to our whole squad, not sure if he's the difference maker we need to inject in to our midfield though. He's be a great acquisition all the same as the fee would likely be low and as he's lived in the country already and wouldn't take as long to adapt as others may do.

Shame things didn't work out for us before when he was on trial with us.

No need to replace anyone and he fits the 4-3-3 we've been playing in the run in to the end of the season. The three would be great in a rotation system. If you were the opposing team you would hate to see any of them coming on from the bench after 60 minutes.

No, Eikrem is good but not good enough for villa. But he would not be a worthless signing but I doubt he could make a big impact here. He did score a cracking goal yesterday from 25 yards, which would fit nicely with this season.

Getting some more forwards in would be as much about being able to rest and rotate players as it would be about dropping any. That is a real problem at the moment, we have very little beyond our established front three.

Yep, just some bloke we paid £24m for.

Yep, just some bloke we paid £24m for.

Sorry, should have said we won't have much depth next season. As I thought it was fairly established that he won't be here.

Has anyone seen much of Jonathon Parr at Palace, I remember reading something about him a few yrs back, as he was meant to be an exciting prospect at lb. The commentators on the stream I have for the playoff final have mentioned him and that palace aren't so good without him on (apparently injured).

Quick look on wiki says he won palace player of the yr last season.

So as the majority on here agree we need a new lb (or at least competition), would he be a worthy acquisition?

Edited by mikeyp102

James Nursery on Twitter saying that we're monitoring Jay Spearing who Liverpool are apparently gonna let go..

Dear god, mother of jesus, **** no.

• Like 1

Well after that (none) showing I expect our interest in Troy Deeney may have wained a little (or completely!!!)

James Nursery on Twitter saying that we're monitoring Jay Spearing who Liverpool are apparently gonna let go..

Spearing a definate NO! but Shelvey I think would be a good aquisition

Would anyone be keen on kone from Wigan?

Nah not really. I'd rather James McCarthy, maybe even Maloney to be a squad player. 

Maloney would walk into our side atm. He's had a very good season.

Would you drop Gabby or Weimann though? I think i'd choose those two before Maloney. 

I hope we're not going to sign Spearing, that would be disappointing. 

Wolff Eikrem is not ready for the Premier League, doubt he ever will if he continues playing in the Norwegian league. He is pretty weak and pretty slow, which is alright in the Tippeliga but certainly not in the PL. He can control the ball and take out a decent pass, but he falls out of games even here - when they put an enforcer on him. Stay away, not good enough - like every other Norwegian player. Jonathan Parr too is extremely mediocre, would never do well enough for a top 10 club.