Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

How much is Lescott on?

I should think his wages would make him one of the top 3 in our squad, if not the highest.  I think signing him carries quite a bit of risk, we'll probably have to give him a contract until he's 34 or 35 on at least 50 grand a week.  He'd improve the side for next season and probably the one after that, but beyond that there is no guarantee.  I think looking in Europe for Kjaer or Dragovic or some other player would be more advisable.

How much is Lescott on?

I should think his wages would make him one of the top 3 in our squad, if not the highest. I think signing him carries quite a bit of risk, we'll probably have to give him a contract until he's 34 or 35 on at least 50 grand a week. He'd improve the side for next season and probably the one after that, but beyond that there is no guarantee. I think looking in Europe for Kjaer or Dragovic or some other player would be more advisable.

I said it before and will again, CB's for everton always look better than what they are. They are found wanting when they move. E.g Weir a 40 year old who looked great CB when playing for them.

I personally think we can get a better CB on half the wages

Could we get marko marin ?

Saw him once or twice and got impressed with him ..

Would be a good signing, guess it depends on what Mourinho thinks of him.

Werder Bremen kinda reminds me of us during the last few years.

They have not been able to replace their star players even thou they have gotten good money when they sold them and are now fighting relegation.

Diego, Mertesacker, Özil, Marin, Elia...

Lambert cashes in: Manager Paul can splash out on transfers after Villa owner Randy Lerner hands him funds

Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner is set to fly into Birmingham next week to hand boss Paul Lambert a summer transfer kitty.

Villa’s America-based chairman has been delighted with the club's recent resurgence under Lambert, winning five of their last eight games to haul ­themselves clear of the relegation zone.

Scot Lambert spent £23million last summer on Christian Benteke, Ashley ­Westwood, Matt Lowton, Ron Vlaar, Jordan Bowery, Karim El Ahmadi and Joe Bennett.

Now, Lambert will get fresh funds, with new contracts for Benteke, Brad Guzan and Andreas Weimann also a priority.

Lambert is busy scouting possible targets in Holland and Belgium following the success of Benteke’s arrival from Genk in the latter.

The club’s financial situation will be eased by the lucrative contracts of Richard Dunne and Stiliyan Petrov expiring, saving them over £100,000 a week.

- The Mirror

Makes it sound like he's actually going to physically give him a briefcase full of notes. :)

I hope he stops off at a currency change place on the way or that'd just be a wasted journey.

8pints I'm surprised at you. Did you not know that the Trees has tracked Randy's plane & apparently he his stopping off at Carson Yeung's place in Hong Kong! ;):P

• Like 1

I hope this is true, well, naturally we all do.

Getting Dunne and (sadly) Petrov off the wages is good from a financial perspective. If we could get rid of Ireland, Given and Bent too then we'd be laughing, but I think they will all run down their contracts and be here a while yet. I can't see anyone coming in for them who would pay more wages than they're on here.

Bringing it back a few pages I was watching Callum McMannaman the other night for Wigan and he actually really impressed me. Good work rate,young age and talented the three things that lambert usually looks for....

Could be a lil cheaper if wigan go down.

Edited by kevangrealish

Just a slight word of caution. We don't know the benefit to the performances of those on the pitch of having the likes of Given and Bent waiting in the wings. Even the players themselves can't know how much harder they tried subconsciously knowing there was quality there to replace them. I'm not suggesting we put £250k a week sitting on the bench but we do need to replace them with real quality and not just promote youngsters. Competition for places brings out the best in players.

Just a slight word of caution. We don't know the benefit to the performances of those on the pitch of having the likes of Given and Bent waiting in the wings. Even the players themselves can't know how much harder they tried subconsciously knowing there was quality there to replace them. I'm not suggesting we put £250k a week sitting on the bench but we do need to replace them with real quality and not just promote youngsters. Competition for places brings out the best in players.

That's a very astute observation BOF especially when you look at how Guzan & Benteke have performed. On a positive note too I don't believe Bent or Given believe that sitting on the bench is of any use to furthering their careers even if it is increasing their bank balances. I confidently predict that both will be off to pastures new & they will happily go with my blessing as they have always acted professionally whilst here & I wish them well!

Agreed BOF. I did mean to say that we should replace them with real quality. Having a threadbare squad is not what we need, obviously, but replacing these with quality players to keep the competition for places is important too.

Edited by Ginko

Bringing it back a few pages I was watching Callum McMannaman the other night for Wigan and he actually really impressed me. Good work rate,young age and talented the three things that lambert usually looks for....

Looks a really good young player with a big future. I know it was an horrific tackle against Haldara but i'd forgive him that if Lambo decides he is right for us.

Looks a really good young player with a big future. I know it was an horrific tackle against Haldara but i'd forgive him that if Lambo decides he is right for us.

Would really like him at the club but I'm sure he would cost a lot. Relegation would mean they'd try harder to squeeze every penny out of the deal. Probably cheaper foreign alternatives out there.

If Watford don't go up.... What about replacing Bent with Matej Vydra.... Very good striker.. scores goals and only 21

On Watford, wasn't Lambert rumoured to be looking at Deeney the brummy lad? anyone know anything about him?

If Watford don't go up.... What about replacing Bent with Matej Vydra.... Very good striker.. scores goals and only 21

On Watford, wasn't Lambert rumoured to be looking at Deeney the brummy lad? anyone know anything about him?

Yes! He once performed in Stingray......................................oh sorry that was Troy Tempest! :)

I agree we need quality players but I also think we need to stick to the policy of bringing in young players, which I'm sure Lambert will do anyway

I completely agree.