Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

We play with 3 strikers, we haven't sufficient cover for them.

We don't play with three strikers, we play with one and we have two wide midfielders/wingers. Gabby + Weimann  play those positions because they have the speed and stamina to get forward and support Benteke yet also get back to help Luna + Lowton.

If Benteke gets injured, the replacement will be Helenius, Gabby or Weimann.

If Gabby or Weimann gets injured, then their place will be taken by Tonev, Bacuna, Delph, Bowery, or Albrighton.

We have plenty of 'battlers' in the middle like Delph, El Ahmedi and Sylla. Westwood is sitting in there, mopping up and spreading the ball. No one who can play just in front of them with the creativity/trickery to unlock good defences. And if anyone thinks N'Zogbia is the answer, they need their head examined.

So Andi and Gabby are not strikers then?

We don't play with three strikers, we play with one and we have two wide midfielders/wingers. Gabby + Weimann  play those positions because they have the speed and stamina to get forward and support Benteke yet also get back to help Luna + Lowton.

If Gabby or Weimann gets injured, then their place will be taken by Tonev, Bacuna, Delph, Bowery, or Albrighton.

We have plenty of 'battlers' in the middle like Delph, El Ahmedi and Sylla. Westwood is sitting in there, mopping up and spreading the ball. No one who can play just in front of them with the creativity/trickery to unlock good defences. And if anyone thinks N'Zogbia is the answer, they need their head examined.

They are strikers playing as wingers.

Well we do, but 2 of them are played out of position

We don't play with three strikers, we play with one and we have two wide midfielders/wingers. Gabby + Weimann play those positions because they have the speed and stamina to get forward and support Benteke yet also get back to help Luna + Lowton.

Well we do, but 2 of them are played out of position

So, we do play with two strikers, just out of position, it does leave us short of cover.

I believe we are after a winger or offensive midfielder.

Joey Barton it is then!

On a more serious note, if it is indeed a striker we're after and we're not going to be spending much over £4m (according to one or two), then whats the point? We already spent very little on two strikers in Bowery and Helenius. Whats £4m going to get us?

Now, if we were talking double that amount, I would trust Lambert to bring in a quality back-up. Otherwise.....

We are so desperate for creativity I will be shocked if we sign someone who isn't an creative attacking midfielder

Then I think you are in for a shock.

Is that based on any credible information or is it just a pessimistic hunch ?

there seems to be more information pointing towards an attacking signing than not.

there seems to be a lot of evidence that we have at least enquired about a few AM's (kiyotake was mentioned by Paul Faulkner), so perhaps the manager wants to have the flexibility to change from 4-3-3 to 4-3-1-2.

I'm not trying to close discussion or stop people from speculating, people can speculate as much as they want it is the point of the thread.

You said you didn't know why he needs a striker, so I was trying to answer that point and explain why I think he does.

We might sign a winger or midfielder, we will see soon enough.

Fair enough. I just can't see a good enough striker, who we think will be better at scoring than Gabby and Weimann, wanting to sit on the bench. And I don't see Gabby or Weimann being particularly pleased to sit on the bench either.... We are really good upfront.

Will we sign a striker better than Darren Bent?

I'd hope that the rumour it's someone who will come in and make a difference is true and IMO that rules out a striker.

I see an attacking midfield player or a forward player suited out wide.

I'd hope that the rumour it's someone who will come in and make a difference is true and IMO that rules out a striker.

Exactly how I see it Edited by mikeyp102

We need that AM. Especially at home when the away sides park the bus & hit us on the break. So far this season it has not been so glaringly obvious because we have had such difficult opening fixtures.

How are we going to solve this problem though once it becomes so apparent after the window closes if we don't swoop for the bleedin' obvious now while we have the chance?

I have to laugh also at people saying what if Benteke get's injured? Surely it should be the other way round & opposition managers, players & fans should be asking themselves what if Benteke breaks all our collar bones this week? What are we going to do then? :P

Maybe not straight away (as in not the finished article) but I think if we do have a striker come in then he will have bags of potential and at least be a lot better value than Bent.

We all know progression is done in increments ...not a foul swoop.

I think it is pretty obvious we need a no 10 with good feet , close control is essential and unless yo get lucky, no reference to "daft punk"...you have to spend a bit more than 2-4mill more like 8-10mill.

Can't we find a Luc Nilis on loan.

The danger with writing these sort of things is the club look at it with a financial bias.... We look at it with a footballing bias.

Hey ho.

Who says an am wouldn't fit in our side. We use three midfielders. We need a central midfielder with flair and creativity who will work hard and defend. Kiyotake does this and would easily work I our side. We had it confirmed we enquired but was too expensive. Popov confirmed our interest also. A creative hardworking midfielder on the cheap is what Lambert wants. They are hard to find.

Sometimes the big picture has to be seen.

The club need to see the effect that such a player, (being the right one of Course) will have on our club.

We know its easier said than done.... But it is nice to know, that the club think like us if that is the case.