Midweek football 8/11 April

andykeenan

Has Freidel ever saved a a penalty? Don't remember him making any for us and never ever looked like saving one either

Yes. Saved one on his debut for us IIRC and on at least one other occasion.

To be fair to him, the Basel penalties were all really good.

Has Freidel ever saved a a penalty? Don't remember him making any for us and never ever looked like saving one either

Yes. Saved one on his debut for us IIRC and on at least one other occasion.

To be fair to him, the Basel penalties were all really good.

they were great penalties. I remember about 09/10 was a few comments in Freidel thread that he never saved or looked like saving a penalty for Villa.

Spurs fans are moaning that he was at fault for them losing as he never came off his line for crosses and struggles when diving to his left

Yeah he's not a great penalty saver, but he did save a couple for us.

Sure he saved a few for blackburn as well, usually in those ridiculous superman games he used to have against Man Utd

Switzerland do have some good players, I have to admit.

didnt they win the U17 world cup a few years back? siegrist was in goal for it, watched them in the olympics half expecting them to be a dark horse and they werent, they were really disappointing

yeah they did, got to Under 21 final in 2011 only losing to Spain 2-0. Spain team with De Gea, Mata, Javi Martinez, Adrian, Ander Herrera, Thiago, Muniain. Players like Azpilicueta and Bojan were only squad players  :o

Fair enough, I was sure he saved one for us in the league at some point but happy to admit I could be wrong.

But I'm still 99% sure he saved one on his debut for us, but it was probably a pre season friendly.

Edit: From Wiki

He made his debut against Reading on August 2 at the Madejski Stadium. Just ten minutes in the hosts were awarded a penalty which Friedel then saved.

Edited by Stevo985

Friedel never did save a penalty for us, at least not in competitive action.

Friedel%20Pens.png

The most shocking thing about this is the club conceded 20 penalties in just 3 seasons. Probably Richard Dunne's legacy.

Which means 12 were conceded in 2 seasons he was here. I can count 4 on there that were him.

Secondly is it normal to concede an average of 7 penalties a season? That seems rather alot to me, but I could be wrong.

It always bugged me how Friedel never saved penalties. To not save a single one out of 20 is pretty shocking. Can't really use a pre-season friendly as an example either

He reminds me of Shilton in 1990, never got near them. 

Â