San Marino v England Montenegro v England WC qualifiers

andykeenan

your playing San Marino. a bunch of fisherman and plumbers. Montenegro be more tougher proposition though but its still a week away so have enough time to prepare

Here is a stat for you, there are 326 districts of England (a district being an area with it's own council, for the purposes of local government) and only two of them have a smaller population than San Marino. 

sHV21aD.jpg

You will probably need to click the map to make it bigger, but every single one of those areas on the map except for the Scilly Isles and the city of London has a larger population than San Marino, and the Scilly Isles and the City of London only exist as they do for historical reasons.  San Marino is a really **** small country.  In fact it is a really **** small town that just happens to be a country because it decided not to recognise Rome as it's capital when Italy was formed as a single country in the 1870s. 

Edited by The_Rev

I think we'll only get worse until we either drop the billy big  bollox players, Terry Ferdinand, Lampard etc. Keep Rooney, maybe. Bring back gaz baz, And choose good players who are better known for football than being a celeb, Cahill, Baines etc. Players who really want to play. The other way things will change is when we become a second tier nation, hoping we don't draw the likes of France in the first round. I can see the second option happening 

Isn't san marino a principality, rather than a country, like Monaco

Edit - it is a republic microstate according to Google

Edited by Jimzk5

Yes, but that is still a country. It's actually more of a country than England is in certain respects, it's a sovereign state while England is just a part of the UK.  We (the UK) just get to have four teams because we invented the game and were playing international football before anybody thought to draw some rules up. It must annoy the **** out of FIFA. :D

Yes, but that is still a country. It's actually more of a country than England is in certain respects, it's a sovereign state while England is just a part of the UK.  We (the UK) just get to have four teams because we invented the game and were playing international football before anybody thought to draw some rules up. It must annoy the **** out of FIFA. :D

nah it doesnt bother FIFA because your teams are crap :P problem is that Home Nations have 4 votes on the FIFA panel out of I think 10 as part of a deal to get Home Nations into FIFA and they are trying to abolish this

You are probably thinking of IFAB mate.   It's the International Football Association Board and their job is to decide on the rules of the game. It's those guys who will need to give the OK to goal line technology and video refereeing, not FIFA.  IFAB is made up of eight people, it's representatives from the Football Associations of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland plus four FIFA delegates. They need at least six yes votes to bring anything new in, which means FIFA cant change the laws of the game without getting at least two of our lot to agree, which probably pisses them off no end. But **** em, we invented the bloody game.

Edited by The_Rev

im pertty sure if he was English he wouldnt be used properly. England when they produce flair or technical players they are nearly always disregarded or underused. Le Tiss, Scholes even Joe Cole

To be fair I think the example Spain have set with Xavi had been taken heed of. The English obsession with a 'box to box' midfielder has faded somewhat in recent years.

I do wonder what would have happened had Steven Gerrard been Welsh or Scottish instead and England had then been able to have a central midfield of Scholes & Lampard. I think the team would have been better. Gerrard is a player capable of delivering lots of moments of individual brilliance, but he doesn't half unbalance a team.

To be fair I think the example Spain have set with Xavi had been taken heed of. The English obsession with a 'box to box' midfielder has faded somewhat in recent years.

I do wonder what would have happened had Steven Gerrard been Welsh or Scottish instead and England had then been able to have a central midfield of Scholes & Lampard. I think the team would have been better. Gerrard is a player capable of delivering lots of moments of individual brilliance, but he doesn't half unbalance a team.

hasnt stopped the last 4 managers thinking gerrard and Lampard can play together when its obvious they can't.

im pertty sure if he was English he wouldnt be used properly. England when they produce flair or technical players they are nearly always disregarded or underused. Le Tiss, Scholes even Joe Cole

You just stick him on the left wing and watch him destroy the opposition.

Wouldn't class him with those type of players you mentioned.

Edited by TRS-T

Â