San Marino v England Montenegro v England WC qualifiers

andykeenan

Three words:  Euro 2000 squad.   Check out the players in that squad. How the **** they managed to get knocked out in the group phase is beyond me. 

Good shout, that was a sensational team and its a disgrace we didn't win something.

sensational? are you sure SGC hasnt taken over your account ;) that team was OK but France, Italy, Holland, Portugal and a few others had better teams in that tournament

Three words:  Euro 2000 squad.   Check out the players in that squad. How the **** they managed to get knocked out in the group phase is beyond me. 

Good shout, that was a sensational team and its a disgrace we didn't win something.

sensational? are you sure SGC hasnt taken over your account ;) that team was OK but France, Italy, Holland, Portugal and a few others had better teams in that tournament

Sensational may have been a bit much lol, but it was still a good team. Should have at least got out of the group stages.

Edited by AVFCforever1991

We really should have won the 2006 world cup, had a great team.

really? that 2006 "golden generation" is one of footballs great myths of the last 20 years

I've never heard a fan using that term to describe England. You could describe Spain currently as a golden generation but never an average England team.

the best and only tournament England should have won was Euro 2004. They had a good team, difficult to break down and Rooney injury cost them and was a weakened tournament with only 1 outstanding attacking team in Czech Republic

only 1 of them has ever been world class and that is Ashley Cole. the rest were very good players but not on the level of a Pirlo or a cannavaro who were the 2 best players in that world cup

What about Owen in 2001

Gerrard in 2005 and 06

Ferdinand in 2007 and 08

Anyway football is a game of opinions. I  won't use the term world class because there is not a definite definition, but Owen, Ferdinand, Gerrard and lampard have all had seasons in their careers where they were top 4 in their respective position.

Owen in 2001 was hyped but his scoring record wasnt exactly that great, he didnt get 20 league goals for example and was living off 2 games FA Cup final and Germany game. was he better than Shevchenko, Totti, Crespo, Raul, Van Nistelrooy even Henry or Patrick Kluivert etc.

Owen in 2001 was hyped but his scoring record wasnt exactly that great, he didnt get 20 league goals for example and was living off 2 games FA Cup final and Germany game. was he better than Shevchenko, Totti, Crespo, Raul, Van Nistelrooy even Henry or Patrick Kluivert etc.

"Owen helped Liverpool to a Treble in 2001.The team won the League Cup, FA Cup and UEFA Cup to end a six-year trophy drought. Owen was the recipient of the World Player of the Year and the European Player of the Year awards in recognition of his performances that season.He became the first English winner of the European Footballer of the Year award since Kevin Keegan was given the honour in 1979. Owen also became the first English winner of the World Player of the Year award. Owen scored goals in both the UEFA Cup and the FA Cup finals. He struck twice late in the FA Cup final to turn around what had appeared to be a certain defeat for Liverpool at the hands of Arsenal"

On top of which he managed 6 goals in 8 for England and 24 in 46 for Liverpool. He was on fire in 2001, and every bit as good that year as those others mentioned.

He arguably could be Welsh, he has spent his entire home life in Flintshire, North Wales.  He was born in Chester because there is no maternity hospital on the Welsh side of the border up there.

(Chester is quite literally on the border if you are unfamiliar with the area, in fact Chester City's stadium is half in England and half in Wales) 

Euro 2004 and Euro 1996 are the only tournaments I can remember (I was too young in 1990) where I thought we had a genuine chance of winning.

2004 most recently. Had Rooney not been injured in that game I think we had a great chance of going on and winning that tournament.

We've no chance these days.

Â