March Optimism Thread

maqroll

Southampton losing today is a nice result, because it draws them down into the muck too. If we can get a point on Monday, it'll feel like a win. This really feels like we've entered a critical time now, with Reading next week. I'm optimistic we can do this.

UTV

Zero optimism. This team always snatches defeat from the jaws of victory. Sorry they have beaten the hope out of me. I now just expect us to lose and assume we are already relegated. I try and watch a game with an eye to next season seeing how well we might play in the championship. Assuming we retain a few of our average players (the good ones will be gone obviously)  I think we may be mid table.  Which is better than the Wolves freefall going on.

Optimism for this season is pretty low now, believe we will go down. How we do in the next few seasons and what type of club we now are, will become, depends upon what happens may to September

I've felt since 1st Jan that we'll be relegated and haven't seen anything to change that opinion. I can't see us getting six points from Reading and QPR.

I'm optimistic. Performance wise we have done pretty well over the last few weeks and probably haven't picked up the amount of points we deserved. First half against West Brom we were very good, second half against Newcastle ditto and we did very well and held our own for the most part against Everton and Arsenal. We didn't play well in terrible conditions against West Ham but we showed the kind of battling qualities that we will need to stay up.

I have zero confidence in the owner and the board but I still have faith in Lambert and believe that despite our defensive woes in the likes of Benteke, Gabby, Weimann, NZogbia and Bent we have enough fire power to outscore the likes of QPR, Reading, Fulham, Norwich, Wigan, Sunderland and Stoke when we play them and can secure enough points to see us safe.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

I'm feeling pretty good at the moment, even if we get beat Man City as long as it's not a pasting we can go into the next few with a lot of belief. I think we're capable of getting the job done in those two but I guess we'll just have to see what happens. If we don't, we're as good as down and deservedly so.

Edited by flamingsombrero

Not optimistic at all..wish i could be as i hate being full of doom & gloom.. I try to look quite positively at life generally but with the Villa that's just not possible at the moment. I feel we do have very good spells in games on occasion but regardless of how well we do it is consistently destroyed by naivety & inexperience. Hence the countless surrendering of games from winning positions. I just don't think this can be sorted out in time.. Certainly won't happen this season & that for me is that sadly.

Dreading the game on Monday & the QPR one..One hammering & one sickening defeat for me.

It really is.  I would say based on our form, we are in the clear. But that sort of thinking is dismissive as it really goes down to how they will perform and who is playing. I hope we can try Sylla from the get go on monday, there is no better time to pull him out than now and maybe, just maybe he can add some more depth to this team on the other side of the pitch. My tension for the matches against reading and qpr will be sky high, in a sort of weird way I really look forward to it. Just imagine getting two wins in a row, would be so massive, I would lose my shit.

The concern I have is QPR. That win yesterday gives them hope and they have Sunderland home next week which is really winnable.

So they could come to B6 on the back of 2 straight wins .

Thing is if we can somehow at least draw at Reading & beat QPR then i would regain a bit of hope. I have us down for draws in those two in my predictions for the remaining games which for the record go like this

Man City (h) lose 1-4

Reading (a) 2-2

QPR (h) 1-1

Liverpool (h) lose 0-3

Stoke (a) 1-1

Fulham (h) win 2-1

Man u (a) lose 4-0

Sunderland (h) win 3-2

Norwich (a) 2-2

Chelsea (h) Lose 1-3

Wigan (a) 3-3

Total 35 pts

Started this prior to Newcastle (h) & so far i have only gotten the Everton (a) & Newcastle (h) results the wrong way round as i had us to Lose to Everton & draw with Newcastle.

Thing is if we lose to either Reading, QPR or Wigan we are pretty much doomed for me!

Edited by danceoftheshamen

Still feel the same as I did at the start of last month.

I think it will come down to Wigan away last game of the season.

Nice to see Boyce and McCarthy(?) having a bust up on field yesterday, hopefully they will implode and go on a bad run.

Peace x

The concern I have is QPR. That win yesterday gives them hope and they have Sunderland home next week which is really winnable.

So they could come to B6 on the back of 2 straight wins .

QPR looking dangerous now, Harry was bouncing yesterday, concerning.....

I think we'll finish pretty much level with QPR so that was huge for them yesterday... We now have to beat them & you can guarantee Redknap will have us down as the most vital win of the season for them. They will be right up for that one & for me we have three wars upcoming.. Them Reading & Wigan with the Sunderland/ MON game shaping up to be not far behind too. Win those 4 & well we have a right chance but i can't see that.

We are playing quite well at the moment. If we play like we did at Arsenal for the rest of the season, I think we can have a decent chance of survival. I still think someone else is going to get sucked in - be it Norwich, Newcastle or Sunderland. At the moment, I would say Sunderland are the most likely candidates to get sucked into the mix.

The good thing for us is that we know we are in a fight where as I am not sure Sunderland have that mindset yet.

If we can get something out of Monday night, and beat QPR and Reading, I think that'll be enough to stay up. We'd have 31-33 points, and all we'd need from the remaining games is around 5 points which even for us should be manageable. We should play these next 3 games as if they're our last ,and we can save ourselves a lot of stress and heartache come the end of the season.

Â