March Optimism Thread

maqroll

If we play like we did at Arsenal for the rest of the season, I think we can have a decent chance of survival. 

You don't really mean that, do you, because against Arsenal we surrendered a point  against a side having a very bad day and came away empty handed.  I suppose you mean if we can keep the good bits of how we played against Arsenal and learn quickly how to defend a winning/drawing position, we have a decent chance of survival. Put like that it looks a bit more daunting.

So many comments about playing well at the moment.

Doesn't that scare you?!!

Playing well and still not getting anything!

The Arsenal game when Weimann scored we looked like we could go on and win it, but as usual we retracted and tried to defend from our 18 yard line and bottled it once again.

I don't know what to expect tomorrow night but if it's a pasting then that could really set us back for the next 2 games. We have to take 4 points from the next 3 matches, that is minimum...

It's our defence and midfield that will R us coupled with a season of mad tactics and bizarre team selections.

If we do go, Lambert should be chased out of town .

I'm optimistic. Performance wise we have done pretty well over the last few weeks and probably haven't picked up the amount of points we deserved. First half against West Brom we were very good, second half against Newcastle ditto and we did very well and held our own for the most part against Everton and Arsenal. We didn't play well in terrible conditions against West Ham but we showed the kind of battling qualities that we will need to stay up.

I have zero confidence in the owner and the board but I still have faith in Lambert and believe that despite our defensive woes in the likes of Benteke, Gabby, Weimann, NZogbia and Bent we have enough fire power to outscore the likes of QPR, Reading, Fulham, Norwich, Wigan, Sunderland and Stoke when we play them and can secure enough points to see us safe.

I'm still optimistic we can stay up due to Lambert finally changing the system and i agree we can score goals but with the exception of Reading we have a worse defence than the rest of those teams you mention so one cancels out the other.

I don't however have the same amount of confidence you have in Lambert as he isn't as tactically astute as those managers he still has to lock horns with before the end of the season and with the added pressure of a relegation dog fight to contend with, Lambert might actually be our strongest weakness.  

Life becoming a landslide, and filled with motorcycle emptiness... Each day, living out a lie. Revol... Designed for life... From despair to where...

Fully behind the team - but optimism is currently shot.

Panic on the streets of Aston...

Witton, Four Oaks and Great Barr... I wonder to myself...

Edited by Raver50032

if we get mullered tonight then it'll be an uphill battle to get the 5/6 points we need this month. if we play well then hopefully we'll kick on and get the points we need. another chelsea like result and we're doomed!

I'm feeling about as optimistic as as a Goldfish in a tankful of Piranha.

If you were a goldfish in a tank full of piranhas you'd probably think you were a piranha - and be quite optimistic... for a few seconds.

• Like 2

I'm fairly pessimistic, still don't see us overhauling Wigan or Southampton. That could all change this month of course, and my pessimism would turn to optimism very quickly if we got 3 points tonight. What an unbelievable lift that would be, just hope 'unbelievable' isn't the key word.

I think we will go down and do a Coventry or Sheffield Wednesday.I can see us in winning positions and then Lambert will make one of his silly substitutions and we will drop points, either that or he will take someone like Dawkins to a game against a team like Liverpool.

I'm not very optimistic at all.

But I think we'll have a much better idea of where we stand after the next 3 games.

6 points from the next 3 games and we'll be looking a lot healthier. 4 or 5 points isn't a disaster but wouldn't be ideal.

Anything less than 4 and we're looking doomed to be honest.

I think Reading are gone. They've got a very very tough run in and they've been riding their luck even when they got results. I just hope we can add to their woes as opposed to giving them a boost.

I have put this an another thread somewhere, but it applies more in this one. 

I was watching a program we have here called " Premier League World" and apparently in the last 21 games that we have played in the month of March we have only won twice.?!

I'm not very optimistic at all.

But I think we'll have a much better idea of where we stand after the next 3 games.

6 points from the next 3 games and we'll be looking a lot healthier. 4 or 5 points isn't a disaster but wouldn't be ideal.

Anything less than 4 and we're looking doomed to be honest.

I think Reading are gone. They've got a very very tough run in and they've been riding their luck even when they got results. I just hope we can add to their woes as opposed to giving them a boost.

that's pretty much bang on, we're still in with a good shout with a return of 4 or 5 points from the next 3. 6 points, wins against reading and qpr, would mean we'd go into a run of games we can get points from out of the bottom 3 and with confidence. if we get turned over by reading and qpr in those games we are down.

I think we will go down and do a Coventry or Sheffield Wednesday.I can see us in winning positions and then Lambert will make one of his silly substitutions and we will drop points, either that or he will take someone like Dawkins to a game against a team like Liverpool.

A team like one we spanked 3-1 away from home earlier this season?

That looks more and more like a "freak" result

Just like the Chelsea 3-1 under mcrelegator

That looks more and more like a "freak" result

Just like the Chelsea 3-1 under mcrelegator

I don't dispute that, I just think it's strange that with all the good teams we have to play coming up he cited Liverpool as an example.

I'm optimistic. Performance wise we have done pretty well over the last few weeks and probably haven't picked up the amount of points we deserved. First half against West Brom we were very good, second half against Newcastle ditto and we did very well and held our own for the most part against Everton and Arsenal. We didn't play well in terrible conditions against West Ham but we showed the kind of battling qualities that we will need to stay up.

I have zero confidence in the owner and the board but I still have faith in Lambert and believe that despite our defensive woes in the likes of Benteke, Gabby, Weimann, NZogbia and Bent we have enough fire power to outscore the likes of QPR, Reading, Fulham, Norwich, Wigan, Sunderland and Stoke when we play them and can secure enough points to see us safe.

This point of view I am 100% in sympathy with.

The capability to survive is there. But ... our track record is not good enough to inspire more than 60% confidence in me that wins will be obtained against all the 7 clubs listed.

We do need 17 more points minimum i.m.o. That means probably 5 wins and 2 draws against those 7.

It's a tall order ... possible to achieve, but how likely? Something tells me that at least one defeat will be suffered in those 7 matches.

Mmmmmmm....

Edited by John_Lerwill

17 more points? You think we'll need 41 points to stay up? You must really rate some of the teams around us. 

I'm just going by what tends to be the accepted minimum norm to stay up ... 40 points.

In fact it may well be 36 or 37 points for safety this season ... but it doesn't give Villa that much scope, does it?

Villa have just not been showing enough character to give me a warm glow that safety is a given. Too often 2-goal leads have been squandered ... too often we've lost at home. And we've the worst GD in the Prem.

Â