The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

• 4 weeks later...

Done a little bit more recording. For anyone who likes jazzy proggy instrumental stuff, you may like this tune (Chon - absolutely fantastic band by the way). It kicked my arse for a while. Let me know what you think :) 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, JoshVilla said:

Done a little bit more recording. For anyone who likes jazzy proggy instrumental stuff, you may like this tune (Chon - absolutely fantastic band by the way). It kicked my arse for a while. Let me know what you think :) 

Well it's not the sort of of thing I listen to very often, but it's bloody impressive. 

It's people like you and @TheAuthoritymake me feel I don't even have the right to read this thread!  :(

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Well it's not the sort of of thing I listen to very often, but it's bloody impressive. 

It's people like you and @TheAuthoritymake me feel I don't even have the right to read this thread!  :(

Haha thank you! They’re a fantastic young band, wonderfully melodic considering the technicality of the music, which is refreshing to hear nowadays.

• 2 weeks later...

A musician friend went in search of a gift that Salvador Dali gave to Harpo Marx - A harp strung with barbed wire.

The trail ended when he discovered that Harpo's wife had binned the instrument when Dali left the US, as she had nowhere to store a large barbed wire instrument :(

A pity, but my friend's contacts did manage to locate Harpo's actual harp and a player to boot.

Some recording got done.

csr00hB.jpg?1

• Like 2

Did anyone watch a series on Sky Arts recently called 'The Art of Drumming' ?  I hate having to pay for Sky but it's the only place to see cricket and 'The Classic' bike races (Paris Roubaix etc). Anyway , sometimes they come up with a nugget like this  - so any opinions if you saw it.

All subjective (to a certain extent) but Buddy Rich named as the greatest ever drummer - which is hard to argue with IMO.

• Like 1

Speaking of TV, just saw Andrea Bocelli (with his son) singing on The One Show. For a man reckoned to be one of the world's greatest singers, he was terrible. Very obvious bum notes. 

47 minutes ago, veloman said:

Did anyone watch a series on Sky Arts recently called 'The Art of Drumming' ?  I hate having to pay for Sky but it's the only place to see cricket and 'The Classic' bike races (Paris Roubaix etc). Anyway , sometimes they come up with a nugget like this  - so any opinions if you saw it.

All subjective (to a certain extent) but Buddy Rich named as the greatest ever drummer - which is hard to argue with IMO.

Sky Arts do some decent music shows. As for Buddy Rich, hugely influential. 

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Speaking of TV, just saw Andrea Bocelli (with his son) singing on The One Show. For a man reckoned to be one of the world's greatest singers, he was terrible. Very obvious bum notes. 

Bocelli is a hack. Sadly he is very well managed/presented and if he wasn't blind he would be singing for the Bisa Homes League equivalent of Opera Companies. (I'm sure thats not very PC but it's the truth.)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Sky Arts do some decent music shows. As for Buddy Rich, hugely influential. 

I saw Buddy Rich not long before he died. My dad took me to Wolverhampton Town Hall to see him when I was about 10.

I wore out tapes of his albums when I was young. It's great that in New York I get to play with some of the guys who were in his bands. They were kids then obviously, just out of school, but all the stories about Buddy are very true!

• Like 4

I know it isn't quite as cool as what most of you guys do, but my thing has always been singing.

I took a long break after uni and I've just picked it back up, joining a choir in town.

We have a competition in Baden Baden in December which is pretty exciting! Some European finals or whatever. And I have a solo.

Shitting it is an understatement :D 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

We have a competition in Baden Baden in December which is pretty exciting! Some European finals or whatever. And I have a solo.

What repertoire? Lutoslawski carols? :)

50 minutes ago, Xann said:

What repertoire? Lutoslawski carols? :)

:D

Not quite, this is the repertoire:

1. Adeste fideles – John F. Wade
2. Bogoroditse Devo – Siergiej Rachmaninow
3. O Tannenbaum – Glenn Carlom
4. Dnia jednego o północy – Jerzy Rachubiński
5. O Holy Night – Samuel Richard Gaines 
6. Shchedryk – Mykola Leontovych
7. Somewhere in My Memory – Audrey Snyder
8. White Winter Hymnal – Robin Pecknold

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xann said:

Could be worse.

The Rachmaninov Vespers are lovely.

'O Tannenbaum' annoys me as I'm fairly certain my Vince Guaraldi album with it on was stolen by the workman that did our radiators.

This arrangement would annoy you even more. it's pants.

I love the Rachmaninov - it's beautiful but our altos are a bit naff :D

3 hours ago, Xann said:

People that buy opera don't buy Bocelli. People that buy opera compilations do.

He's for aunties, the elderly and those that think Andrew Lloyd Webber and Andre Rieu are culture.

I know all that, but I was still shocked at how poor he was. I'm pretty cloth eared, and I don't like very much opera/classical singing, so I assumed he would sound pretty much OK to me, but an expert would be able to assess his more subtle failings. But no, he was downright bad, audibly off-key, like a crap karaoke singer. 

Â