The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Just did my first public performance in many years. Just one song at an open mic evening, supporting my mates Waiting for Wednesday, but fun to get back on a stage again. Come to think of it, the first time I've ever played solo acoustic, without a band. 

I really enjoy solo shows. Whilst I find them far more nerve wracking than playing with a band, I love the fact that you can concentrate 100% on your own performance and play a song however the hell you feel like at the time.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Nice one. What did you play mooney?

One of my own songs. (This is my 'studio' recording, I think someone may have filmed last night, but I haven't seen it yet).  

EDIT: Just realised that Soundcloud link doesn't work for some reason, sorry (no great loss, mind). 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

I admit I don't know that book but it looks good @Xann

If you're interested in the evolution of Western 'classical' musical then the "Norton Anthology of Western Music" is considered the go to publication. You can find it a little cheaper by getting an older edition. The 'NAWM' was used for my undergraduate and masters degree music history classes and I was lucky enough that one of the writers (Burkholder) was a lecturer at Indiana University when I did my masters.

Amazon

• Thanks 1

It's all because of Darius Milhaud. 

Not such a famous composer, at least to the man on the the street, but the legacy of his students is massive and not just to classical music.

Pupils Of Darius Milhaud

Wiki

Then you can follow Milhaud back through Widor and Saint-Saens.

'Carnival of the Animals' to 'Walk On By'. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xann said:

It's all because of Darius Milhaud. 

Not such a famous composer, at least to the man on the the street, but the legacy of his students is massive and not just to classical music.

Wiki

Then you can follow Milhaud back through Widor and Saint-Saens.

'Carnival of the Animals' to 'Walk On By'. 

Also check out Nadia Boulanger.

Wiki

Taught Copland & Quincy Jones. Phillip Glass & Astor Piazzolla.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Also check out Nadia Boulanger.

Quincy remembers her very fondly, mentioned her at his Prom.

Heard some BBC recordings way back, vocal works.

They were the coupling and I had a stronger version of the headline.

BBC production often errs on the side of caution. Nothing going into the red, all a bit anaemic.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, went to see guitar master Larry Carlton at B/ham Town Hall on Tuesday. Obviously a lot of Steely Dan fans there judging by the reception 'Josie' (AJA Album) got. One thing that struck me was the small amount of gear on show. He played a red Gibson 335 all night - no racks of guitars behind him. The drummer (a fabulous , subtle player) had a 5 piece Yamaha and perhaps a ride , a crash and maybe one other and the keyboard player just had 2 Yamaha keyboards. I guess if you've got that talent you don't need much else. Roll on Steely Dan in Feb. (bass player had a 5 string I think)

• Like 1

How many guitars do you actually need?

Some people (usually non-guitarists) would say the answer to that question is “one.”

But those people are wrong. I’d counter that the answer is always “one more than you currently have.” Which is all well and good, until you try to explain this logic to your significant other. 

Non-guitar playing spouses, as a rule, are not very receptive to the “one more than you currently have” principle.

Rather than focusing on important things like one-piece mahogany bodies, mother-of-pearl inlays or TV Jones pick-ups, they’re pre-occupied with the inconsequential, boring details; “we don’t have the room,” “it’s $2000,” “you already own six Les Pauls,” etc.

As a result, bringing a new instrument home without causing matrimonial disharmony can sometimes be a challenge.

But fear not, because I’ve compiled a list of foolproof* strategies for bringing a new guitar into your family without incurring the wrath of your better half!

*Full disclosure: I say that these strategies are foolproof… they almost certainly will not work. Still, worth a go, right?

1.  LIE ABOUT HOW MUCH IT COST

She will be annoyed at you for buying a new instrument – you can’t really get around that. But, she thinks you bought that instrument at a steal, she’ll at least admire your bargain hunting tenacity, right?

As a rule, when you tell your wife how much the guitar cost, give them a figure that’s around half what you paid for it. So, to your partner, a $1000 instrument was $500, a $500 instrument was $250, etc. If you spend over a four-figure sum on the guitar (God help you) then shave off a zero to limit some of the damage.

A word of warning - avoid this strategy if your wife either: 

Knows how much your previous guitars cost

Shares a bank account with you.

2.  SAY YOU GOT IT FOR FREE

They can’t be mad at you if it didn’t cost you anything, right?

There are three approaches to take here: 

“My friend/boss bought if for me as a surprise birthday present/reward for a job well done”

“I won it in a competition/raffle” (My personal favorite)

“I couldn’t believe it. It was just sitting there in the dumpster outside of Guitar Center/the guitar factory/Peter Frampton’s tour bus. Other than a couple of cosmetic defects, there’s nothing wrong with it!”

This one will only ever work once, so make sure to use it wisely. Oh, and destroy all evidence that YOU paid for it, otherwise this can backfire pretty spectacularly.

3.  PRETEND YOU’VE ALWAYS HAD IT 

If you’ve already got a sizeable guitar collection, you can always hide your latest purchase in the pack and hope that it gets lost in the milieu. 

“That double neck EDS-1275? Nah, that’s not new! I’ve had that since college. Look how beat up it is.” 

“The price tag? Oh, I just keep that on there as a memento. You wouldn’t believe how cheap it was! In fact, I didn’t even pay for it; my boss won it for me in a raffle outside Peter Frampton’s tour bus.” 

4.  HIDE IT

If you’re happy for your new guitar to forever live in the loft/the trunk of your car/at your friend Steve’s house then you don’t even need to worry about the “new guitar” conversation in the first place!The only problem with this solution is that you don’t actually get to play your guitar. But, you do get the satisfaction of knowing that you own it, and that’s all that really matters.

Link

• Like 2

I did some recording with Esperanza Spalding a few weeks ago and one of the tracks was released yesterday. She's a very talented lady (and very cool too) and here's the track. Quite a bit of me on bass trombone & tenor trombone in the opening :) Although the engineer was a cool guy I don't like the sound of the instruments and I theres something about the mastering that just doesn't sound natural. I love the track though.

• Like 4

I like the orchestral sounds on the intro to the track - they've got a real vintage 60s/70s sound to them. Shame they appear less and less as the song goes on.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MrDuck said:

I like the orchestral sounds on the intro to the track - they've got a real vintage 60s/70s sound to them. Shame they appear less and less as the song goes on.

There was definitely more instrumental after she stops singing at the end. I recorded a melodic line in two octaves after the trumpet drops out (I think!). Maybe it will be on the full EP when she gets it out all there - no idea!! It's definitely vintage feel with loads of different influences, Jaco/Joni Mitchell/Jazz/Soul - a real mix.

6 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

...  a real mix.

Heard her first four albums many times and they've left no impression on me whatsoever.

Your ting is the best thing I've heard from her :)

Â